PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Perfect Fit - 4 Teams Desperate For A QB and 4 Top Picks In The Draft

My favorite meltdown:

Last guy is a ****head. He’s got too much money on the game and just did $1500 worth of damage. Moron belongs in prison.

QB, WR, DT, arguably LB

We potentially have our 3 best secondary guys leaving next year. QB, yes that is a higher priority. WR? It would be great to have a #1 type, but we are going to a MOF TE type running and passing offense - a #1 WR is not a 1st round need, IMO. DT and LB - we just signed multiple DT and LB guys with only Hightower as a critical player potentially leaving next year. Secondary is on a more critical path than WR, DT or LB following the flurry of signings in FA.

If you think WR, DT and LB are 2021 drafting priorities following the FA signings, I think you are going to be very disappointed on draft night(s).

We potentially have our 3 best secondary guys leaving next year. QB, yes that is a higher priority. WR? It would be great to have a #1 type, but we are going to a MOF TE type running and passing offense - a #1 WR is not a 1st round need, IMO. DT and LB - we just signed multiple DT and LB guys with only Hightower as a critical player potentially leaving next year. Secondary is on a more critical path than WR, DT or LB following the flurry of signings in FA.

If you think WR, DT and LB are 2021 drafting priorities following the FA signings, I think you are going to be very disappointed on draft night(s).
Yep i would not be surprised with an OT or CB pick in the first or second rd. BB values it and there is no first round DT value imo anyway. The WR class is deep and at 15 i would only take Chase smith or waddle but they are likely gone.

You're right CB is important I hope we take one in the first round

Joe Horn’s kid Jaycee is a good corner prospect. Could take a tackle. Karrisaw.
Even a lb like Zaven Collins. I hope 5qb’s go before we pick

I'd be shocked if Patriots trade up for a QB. It would be the cherry on top of the cake (free agent signings).

Surtain or Horn would be good CBs. Maybe trade Gilmore for a 2nd/3rd pick now plus late pick in 2022.

You're right CB is important I hope we take one in the first round

People do not like a CB pick for some reason. Gilmore has been amazing for us. I do not know if there will be an elite CB type at 15 or not. If there is a Gilmore type CB at 15, I hope we take him and then resign Gilmore and let JC Jackson go in 2022. Gilmore is hopefully not too expensive and it makes for a dominant CB tandem for 2 or 3 years. We can replace Free Safety in the 3rd round hopefully, or maybe next year if D Mac has 1 more year left (and D Harmon is available so he might be cheap short-term).

Hopefully a WR in the 2nd. BB has not been great at WR in the first or CB in the 2nd, so let's reverse it and get lucky (don't mention Dobson in the 2nd).

People do not like a CB pick for some reason. Gilmore has been amazing for us. I do not know if there will be an elite CB type at 15 or not. If there is a Gilmore type CB at 15, I hope we take him and then resign Gilmore and let JC Jackson go in 2022. Gilmore is hopefully not too expensive and it makes for a dominant CB tandem for 2 or 3 years. We can replace Free Safety in the 3rd round hopefully, or maybe next year if D Mac has 1 more year left (and D Harmon is available so he might be cheap short-term).

Hopefully a WR in the 2nd. BB has not been great at WR in the first or CB in the 2nd, so let's reverse it and get lucky (don't mention Dobson in the 2nd).

No way. Why let JC Jackson go? He is a undrafted STEAL and young. Gilmore has 1 or 2 yrs more and is will be expensive on next contract.

**** it, I want a WR in the first round, make this deadliest offensive team we can and *If* we fail to make Play-offs Cam Newton might start wearing plain, monochromatic clothes due to embarrassment

amen brother! I am a huge waddle fan. In our offense, he would be a monster. You can’t teach speed!

I'd be shocked if Patriots trade up for a QB. It would be the cherry on top of the cake (free agent signings).

Surtain or Horn would be good CBs. Maybe trade Gilmore for a 2nd/3rd pick now plus late pick in 2022.

Surtain ran a 4.46 forty, Horn ran a 4.39 forty. The forty time is important for a CB as they have to cover WRs that can fly. I prefer the faster guy, not the Alabama guy.

No way. Why let JC Jackson go? He is a undrafted STEAL and young. Gilmore has 1 or 2 yrs more and is will be expensive on next contract.

Did you see JC Jackson get eaten alive by Diggs? Did you miss that game? Gilmore has a few more years left in him at a much higher level than Jackson while we teach the next generation of CBs.

after watching surtain run last week, I think if we draft him, he plays cb in year 1, and in year two, he takes over as our free safety for mccourty,

horn is the best press man cover corner in this draft, the perfect replacement for Gilmore.

after watching surtain run last week, I think if we draft him, he plays cb in year 1, and in year two, he takes over as our free safety for mccourty,

horn is the best press man cover corner in this draft, the perfect replacement for Gilmore.
Surtain ran faster than I thought he would. I think he's fast enough.

Dito he had a better pro Day than I expected. Horn had a better pro Day than I expected either. Faster than I thought. I guess one of them is a Cowboy

to run a pattern matching cover 3 defense, you must have a dominate free safety. Mccourty has been that for years, because he is smart, great communicator and fast.

I think surtain is the ideal gut to replace mccourty after a year as an under study!

Dito he had a better pro Day than I expected. Horn had a better pro Day than I expected either. Faster than I thought. I guess one of them is a Cowboy

doesn’t Detroit need secondary help? If they pass on either of these guys, their gm should be fired.

doesn’t Detroit need secondary help? If they pass on either of these guys, their gm should be fired.
What does Detroit not need. They for sure need a cb but if idk parsons smith Chase are still there esp after the trades would you rather take surtain ? They just took okudah and lost Jones and golladay.

Cam Newton might start wearing plain, monochromatic clothes due to embarrassment
Never gonna happen with that popinjay

I'm ready for anything except a defensive back. If we go safety or CB at 15 or better I may actually shove myself in the dryer and turn it on
That would be tough, turning on the dryer from the inside

**** it, I want a WR in the first round, make this deadliest offensive team we can and *If* we fail to make Play-offs Cam Newton might start wearing plain, monochromatic clothes due to embarrassment
I'd rather get a QB and go to the playoffs.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back