PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Pats will go 19-0 this year if healthy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if all you know about the 16-0 season is that they got home field advantage, who says that they don't enter the postseason with Brady, Hightower, Butler, and others being out for the playoffs with injuries.. :cool:
right, but the poster is "silent" on the health of the 16-0 team... He does not say that it has injuries or to whom if any. The post just states the he would rather have the team that just makes the playoffs. If he worded it that the 16-0 team had significant injuries that would be different. However, unlikely they would be 16-0 with multiple significant injuries. (Unless they all happened in final game)

4 words:
Great. Team. On. Paper.

I know I know... "on paper" tends to translate well in NE... team without any weaknesses... blah blah blah. I just don't want to have the whole forum on suicide watch because we lose by two touchdowns halfway through the season or something... FOOTBALL HAS UPS AND DOWNS. 19-0 means only ups. There is an infinitesimal chance that it will happen, health or no health.

In fact, the other 31 teams are the ODDS ON FAVORITE to win the super bowl, all combined.

But if you want 1 team to identify out of 32 that's the favorite, yeah I'm going with the reigning super bowl champ who did it without Gronk... plus the significant additions.

It's still us against the world, and the world can add up pretty fast.

The team building process for the most part is done. Maybe 1 guy surprises and steps up and maybe 1 more role player is signed but generally the 46 game day roster is in place.

They improved on both offense and defense on a team that was 14-1 under Brady last year with that loss coming against a good team on a very off night for the D.

Honestly I like this team more than 2007 on both sides of the ball. While this O probably won't set the same records they did in 07 it is more diverse and match up proof. It really can attack you however it wants and do so effectively. On defense this team has a beastly pass D and an improved pass rush and run defense. The only thing you can hope to do it attack the LBs but that is easier said than down particularly if Hightower is healthy and you can't sustain several drives just throwing against LBs all day. This D will adjust to it.

Also the OL will improve. I expect Thuney to make a good 2nd year jump. That will hopefully help the interior OL issues and the OTs have a bit more depth this year in case something crazy happens for a game or 2. Not to mention if Brady goes down for a few games JG installs confidence he can hold down the fort vs most of what the NFL has to offer.

If this team stays healthy I would argue they will go 19-0 and frankly this team is more stacked and balanced than 07' and has that vet savvy from being in game games with big come backs before.

I know 19-0 is a subject some don't want to bring up or even want to happen. Some fans believe the pressure it puts on a team going into the playoffs is not worth it and would rather loss one in the regular season than try for perfection. I want 19-0. I want the perfect season we thought he were going to get 10 years ago. I think will all Brady/BB have accomplished there is little left to push their legacy much further. I think 19-0 would be the cherry on top of everything and stuff it up the tail pipe of the haters and nay sayers.
Does anyone really care if the Pats go 19-0? That idea doesn't do much for me. As long as we win the SB, I'm good.

And I don't even care if we don't win the SB next year. Sure I'd love to see it happen, but I'm also very rational in realizing we're not supposed to win it every year

Game 2 @ NO. This is one of the most dangerous games on the schedule. New Orleans is hard to beat at home and the Pats notoriously use the first few games to figure things out as an extended preseason. This is a good I could see the D not completely up to speed and getting beat by a very good O. However the Pats have an ace her mentally in Brandon Cooks. As one of their new stars and a guy Brady will love they will be able to get emotionally up for this game enough for it not to be a trap game.

The saints have not had a winning record at home for 3 years.
Last 3 season home records
4-4
4-4
3-5

So no they are no longer the team that was dangerous at home.

4 words:
Great. Team. On. Paper.

I know I know... "on paper" tends to translate well in NE... team without any weaknesses... blah blah blah. I just don't want to have the whole forum on suicide watch because we lose by two touchdowns halfway through the season or something... FOOTBALL HAS UPS AND DOWNS. 19-0 means only ups. There is an infinitesimal chance that it will happen, health or no health.

In fact, the other 31 teams are the ODDS ON FAVORITE to win the super bowl, all combined.

But if you want 1 team to identify out of 32 that's the favorite, yeah I'm going with the reigning super bowl champ who did it without Gronk... plus the significant additions.

It's still us against the world, and the world can add up pretty fast.
I don't think anyone will swallow a gallon of antifreeze over one loss. But the goal (or hope) of the perfect season certainly isn't silly.
Last season was as close to it as not having Brady robbed of the bills game and a play or 2 vs Seattle. That's basically as close as 07 was aside from the suspension, and we all know there is no way that game was a loss if Brady played.

I care 1,000,000 times more about a SB Title than 19-0 and would take 9-7 and a SB over 2007 every day of the week but 19-0 does look possible. It's just way way too early to take seriously.

Here's what I worry about, in order of worry

(1) Ninkovich is one year slower and wasn't that fast last year either, Long is gone, Sheard is gone, Ealy is unblooded and Flowers cant do it alone

(2) we forget how good Marty Bennett was

(3) we may find that Logan Ryan was much better than we thought at the time

(4) a bad hamstring at OT (knock wood) could be real trouble for Brady

(5) turnovers happen

(6) Belichick may trade just about anyone at the most inopportune moment, like he did with Milloy, Collins, Mankins...and some roster spot that we think is all sewn up may suddenly have a gaping sink hole

(7) Patrick Chung...I'm just not sure

(8) will the culture take with the newcomers, Gilmore, Cooks, Allen, Gilleslee? I don't worry about Burkhead for some reason. Bennett and Long were instrumental in adopting and setting the culture among the incoming veterans

(1) Ninkovich is one year slower and wasn't that fast last year either, Long is gone, Sheard is gone, Ealy is unblooded and Flowers cant do it alone

(I'll say this. Last year I loved the fact that our DE's were so versatile but esp in the run game. It was unique group and one that I really loved but the addition of Ealy, Rivers and Wise Jr is also extremely unique in its own right. Even tho hes a rook Rivers will bring an instant impact off the edge. Even if it's just on 3rd downs/obvious passing downs. Wise Jr is another long guy who was absolutely loved by his teammates and coaches. He'll fit right in and is someone I expect we move around some. It's a younger group but I'm very happy. We have multiple pass rushers that will come at you from everywhere)

(This is true but imho his biggest asset to us was his blocking. He was a beast. Allen will take on that role with no problem. He knows his role and will play it. Our offense has 600+ point potential)

(Similar to the DLine we might lose a little in some area, although I really don't think it's much. And gain in others. I'm a huge Ryan fan. Would love to have kept him but Gilmore and Butler might be the best in the league. When you add in our S's its just another embarrassment of riches)

(This group is versatile and knows each other very well. Over the past few years they've been through so much. Terrible group that killed the season to a legit strength (which I thought they'd be b4 the year). Year ender, that will hurt any team but we could survive 1-4 games)

(5) turnovers happen

(Not sure what exactly you mean here?)

(6) Belichick may trade just about anyone at the most inopportune moment, like he did with Milloy, Collins, Mankins...and some roster spot that we think is all sewn up may suddenly have a gaping sink hole

(Bill knows his team better than anyoneand its not close. This is something he gets the benefit of the doubt 100/100)

(Chung is a football player who like Ryan improved each season. Tough gamer who will always have his flaws but does his job more often than not nowadays. Our secondary is a big +++ and he's a big reason why)

(8) will the culture take with the newcomers, Gilmore, Cooks, Allen, Gilleslee? I don't worry about Burkhead for some reason. Bennett and Long were instrumental in adopting and setting the culture among the incoming veterans

(Again something I never worry about. The Pats culture is a force that isn't dented by a player or two who won't commit. They buy in or are shipped out. I'm not sure what's hard about it? Most of those guys are getting paid serious money to play for the best TEAM in pro sports. If you're a football player, a competitive athlete, I couldn't think of a place I'd rather be?)

Last edited:

I wouldn't say worry, but I'm curious if Ryan will be missed in the run D. I'll take Gilmore over him in coverage, but maybe Ryan is the better tackler and run support defender.

Regards,
Chris

(Again something I never worry about. The Pats culture is a force that isn't dented by a player or two who won't commit.

By all accounts it was "dented" pretty severely in 2009. Sure, Belichick worked to fix it eventually, but not in time to save that season.

By all accounts it was "dented" pretty severely in 2009. Sure, Belichick worked to fix it eventually, but not in time to save that season.

Eh, maybe?

2009 was easily one of the worst of this era.

Difference between a team imploding and one that's just not good enough to get it done.

Eh, maybe?

2009 was easily one of the worst of this era.

Difference between a team imploding and one that's just not good enough to get it done.

I don't think it was (just) an issue of "not good enough to get it done". That team had major attitude/cultural problems. We saw a hint of that in the "A Football Life: Bill Belichick" documentary where he's standing on the sideline as the team is getting walloped by NO and is talking to Brady about how he can't get the players to play.

I don't think it was (just) an issue of "not good enough to get it done". That team had major attitude/cultural problems. We saw a hint of that in the "A Football Life: Bill Belichick" documentary where he's standing on the sideline as the team is getting walloped by NO and is talking to Brady about how he can't get the players to play.

Pro/College football is an absolute circus behind closed doors. People would be shocked if they caught a small glimpse.

2009 stuff you're talking about really isn't outrageous.

I'm not saying it wasn't an issue. I just think that team had other things going on as well that were a bigger reason as to why they didn't succeed.

Rich football fan problems I guess?

I just don't see that happening this year.

I'm actually convinced 19-0 is happening, because the Pats have been all about justice on the field in the last two Superbowl winning seasons. Deflategate starts, Pats win Superbowl. Deflategate punishment comes down, Pats win Superbowl.

Now we have the opportunity to shut Shula up once and for all (maybe even trigger a stroke). Because the Pats are playing the Panthers, Shula's own offspring will have an opportunity to destroy the perfect season, and he will fail. Ultimate F-U to Shula by: (1) demolishing his perfect season record with more wins than his Dolphins did it in, (2) demonstrating his failed lineage.

The F-U Dynasty continues.

(Again something I never worry about. The Pats culture is a force that isn't dented by a player or two who won't commit. They buy in or are shipped out. I'm not sure what's hard about it? Most of those guys are getting paid serious money to play for the best TEAM in pro sports. If you're a football player, a competitive athlete, I couldn't think of a place I'd rather be?)

The team last year was special, to the extent that they bonded, really cared about each other. Belichick even said so to the media, that this team was special in how they approached the work. It was palpable to the fans how that team came together. I think it made a difference in rallying for the historic SB comeback. The team had a very deep heart. They played for each other.

I do attribute how the team jelled (in part) to Long and Bennett, how they earned their spots as leaders of the team even as newcomers. Think how hard it must be for an impact veteran to come into Foxboro, complete stranger, and fit in without ruffling feathers or stepping on toes. And then to take on a leadership role and a voice in the lockerroom. A million ways that can go sour. We're talking about people's personalities in the context of the team--so hard to anticipate. I think we were incredibly lucky in the two of them and who they are as people.

The culture of the team is in good hands with Brady, Hightower, McCourty, Branch, Slater, Edelman. But will the new guys, especially the ones who were acquired via trade and had no choice in the matter, embrace what they've come into?

If Gilleslee starts griping for more carries, or Gilmore starts free styling in the secondary, or Cooks won't put the time into the playbook, or Allen mopes from the bench...that could be a problem for the whole team. Those guys were acquired, didn't come here by choice.

Long never griped about a diminished role, and Bennett was a warrior through some tough injuries. Their attitude made a big difference in the outcome of the season.

You just had to do it.

He hasn't been the first to bring it up this year and he won't be the last.

I'm in the go for it camp, even though it could be hazardous to my health if it came to that.

Apropos of that, there are only three teams in NFL history to go 14-2 or better in two consecutive years (and no one has done it more than two consecutive years):
1) 1985 & 86 Bears
2) 1989 & 90 49ers
3) 2003 & 04 Patriots

That's it.

The Pats were the only team of those three to win the SB both seasons.

(5) turnovers happen

If it makes you feel better keep in mind that...
(2) Gronk is back
(6) The Pats won the SB after dumping Milloy, Collins and Mankins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes