PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Pats practice squad & workout/visit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's a beast in training he will be activated at some point a injury to the secondary happens hes first person they are activating.

The patriots are paying Obi as the 54th player on the team. Few teams do this (as with a lot of what BB does). Another team could make an offer, but I would think that Obi is fine with his future with the patriots.

The patriots are paying Obi as the 54th player on the team. Few teams do this (as with a lot of what BB does). Another team could make an offer, but I would think that Obi is fine with his future with the patriots.
If another team makes him an offer and he can actually play in games I think he would feel better about that than his future with the patriots of sitting home in Sundays.

If another team makes him an offer and he can actually play in games I think he would feel better about that than his future with the patriots of sitting home in Sundays.

You don't generally sign and instantly play. Remember every team passed on Obi through waivers, so he's no one's top option.

Who has is in a better position with his team..... Marshall Newhouse or Obi?

You don't generally sign and instantly play. Remember every team passed on Obi through waivers, so he's no one's top option.

If a team offers him a contract to be on the 53 man roster he is in better shape than staying on the practice squad if a team he can’t make the 53 of.

Newhouse by far.

Newhouse is on the 53 man roster. Obi is on the PS.. We need the OL..

Think we've done this a few times in the past, but can't remember who.
We did this Ryan Lewis a few years ago and he turned down an offer from the Bills to be on their 53 man roster.

If a team offers him a contract to be on the 53 man roster he is in better shape than staying on the practice squad if a team he can’t make the 53 of.

Newhouse by far.

We disagree.

Newhouse may be gone tomorrow. He is part of a rotating tryout for a position that is currently weakened by injury. He might never play or could play well for a series and be released once Cannon is returns or Cajuste is activated.

Based on the teams actions, the chances are good that Obi will be in the team's plans, if there is an injury at his position. There is evidence of a real commitment considering Obi survived a tough cut and was given roster money.

One is on a tryout who might stick; the other is next man up. The fact that momentarily one is 53rd person and the other 54th on the team means less than this.

We disagree.

Newhouse may be gone tomorrow. He is part of a rotating tryout for a position that is currently weakened by injury. He might never play or could play well for a series and be released once Cannon is returns or Cajuste is activated.

Based on the teams actions, the chances are good that Obi will be in the team's plans, if there is an injury at his position. There is evidence of a real commitment considering Obi survived a tough cut and was given roster money.

One is on a tryout who might stick; the other is next man up. The fact that momentarily one is 53rd person and the other 54th on the team means less than this.
Yes we disagree.
One is an experienced veteran backup at a position where we are razor thin.
The other was the last man on the 53 who was then cut.
Don’t make too much out of what they are paying him. They have to pay him that either way because he was on the week one roster so his salary became guaranteed.

Which actions say he is part of the plans? The action where they cut him?

Yes we disagree.
Don’t make too much out of what they are paying him. They have to pay him that either way because he was on the week one roster so his salary became guaranteed.

Obi is not a 4 year veteran, so his salary was not guaranteed by him being on the roster week one. What they’re paying is a reflection of there being competition for his services after he cleared waivers most likely for another team’s practice squad.

Yes we disagree.

They chose to keep Obi on the original 53 during one of the tightest final cut downs in memory, especially in the defensive backfield. Four players were claimed and they traded two who would have been claimed.

The team has already cut an experienced center who they paid a draft choice for. They've cut two other OL since the original cut date. These last two OL spots have been a revolving door.

Who knows if Caleb Benenoch is next week's tryout?

If Newhouse is still here a several weeks, then he is in better shape. Right now BB is treating this spot as a tryout, as he has done with the final roster spot during this type of depth crisis in the past.

They chose to keep Obi on the original 53 during one of the tightest final cut downs in memory, especially in the defensive backfield. Four players were claimed and they traded two who would have been claimed.

The team has already cut an experienced center who they paid a draft choice for. They've cut two other OL since the original cut date. These last two OL spots have been a revolving door.

If Newhouse is still here a several weeks, then he is in better shape. Right now BB is treating this spot as a tryout, as he has done with the final roster spot during this type of depth crisis in the past.

Benonoch has already been given a tryout. It was noted in the thread.

No. They haven't cut 2 other OL since the original cut date. They've cut Bodine and Gossett. That's it.. The idea that the last two spots have been a "revolving door" is fictitious hyperbole on your part.

Newhouse is an experienced Vet who can play both Left and Right Tackle.. Not sure why you have an issue with that.

That’s fine if that is what you want to think.

I believe that if a team came along and offered him a roster spot, where he could actually play in games, he sold accept it.
That was the point I was making.

You have every right to believe he would rather be on the practice squad but I do not think so.

Benonoch has already been given a tryout. It was noted in the thread.

No. They haven't cut 2 other OL since the original cut date. They've cut Bodine and Gossett. That's it.. The idea that the last two spots have been a "revolving door" is fictitious hyperbole on your part.

Newhouse is an experienced Vet who can play both Left and Right Tackle.. Not sure why you have an issue with that.

You are correct. Misread the transactions. They have cut two, not three in two weeks. Still a tryout situation.

I don't have a problem with Newhouse. It's about how the Pats seem to be approaching offensive line depth currently. Newhouse has been cut by two teams in the last two years. Two weeks ago it involved an injury settlement. How can anyone know if Newhouse still has enough to even backup? Offensive lineman can fall quickly. The Pats gave up a 6th for Bodine, who was also a proven vet, and cut him for about the worst center I've seen play in a game.

The situation seems fluid. Maybe the team didn't see enough of Benonoch to sign him without getting a better look at Newhouse and could call him back later. Or they will try someone else.
The team has had a lot of bad luck with the OL and are trying out (or trading for) the most proven, best possibility prospects to see who will work. out. How can that be debated until some player settles in for several weeks?

That’s fine if that is what you want to think.

I believe that if a team came along and offered him a roster spot, where he could actually play in games, he sold accept it.
That was the point I was making.

You have every right to believe he would rather be on the practice squad but I do not think so.

I never said Obi would rather be on the practice squad.

It's likely the team has an agreement with Obi that if a roster spot is offered he will come to the Pats and offer them last chance. That's what the money is buying. Or do you think the Pats throw around money for no reason? They've done this before.

IMO this is a more solid position than someone like Newhouse on the 53 who might not look good enough in the three days he's been here, or is unable to fit, and the team could move on. Those were my points.

Last edited:
Yes we disagree.

First of all Obi is not a vested veteran (i.e. someone with four accrued seasons) otherwise he would not be eligible for the practice squad. So his salary didn't become guaranteed in W1. It was purely a choice by the team to pay him that and not PS minimum.

Also it seems like Reiss and Obi both disagree with your opinion:

The club is fortunate he cleared waivers and returned on the practice squad, where the Pats are paying him a full salary as if he were on the roster ($37,941 per week). I asked Melifonwu if it was a hard decision to come back, and he said New England was the place he wanted to be all along. And chances are it won't be long before Melifonwu is back on the active roster.

via his usual Sunday column (Patriots' unheralded OL Joe Thuney has rare versatility).

Which more or less reads to me like Reiss saying as soon as Cannon is ready to play there will be a transaction that moves Obi onto the active roster.

Also an obligatory wave to resident Obi Fan @patfanken to make him aware of Reiss' final sentence.

First of all Obi is not a vested veteran (i.e. someone with four accrued seasons) otherwise he would not be eligible for the practice squad. So his salary didn't become guaranteed in W1. It was purely a choice by the team to pay him that and not PS minimum.

Also it seems like Reiss and Obi both disagree with your opinion:

via his usual Sunday column (Patriots' unheralded OL Joe Thuney has rare versatility).

Which more or less reads to me like Reiss saying as soon as Cannon is ready to play there will be a transaction that moves Obi onto the active roster.

Also an obligatory wave to resident Obi Fan @patfanken to make him aware of Reiss' final sentence.
Well SOMEBODY has to like him....besides his mother.

Well SOMEBODY has to like him....besides his mother.
I like him too! And I'm also glad that he's still in the building...the back of our secondary is in serious need of new blood...and No, Terence Brooks does not count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News