PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Pats need a new direction on draft/FA signings

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not accurate. One could look to percentages in lieu of raw numbers, for example. Or one could just note that what you're arguing doesn't matter because they are talking specifically about the wide receiver position in the drat, and applying a logical test towards that position.
sure anyone can have any discussion they want and ignore context but it diminishes the argument.

I agree.

I am a bit bemused at the idea that the patriots will pay anywhere near Thunk's market price, and that we are choosing whether to "let Thuney go elsewhere"

I think an interesting question for the Patriots is whether or not they still think Wynn should be out at LT. If they don't, we could see the Patriots let Thuney go elsewhere, move Wynn inside, and bring in yet another starting LT.

Sure, find 3 or 4 are WR's and couple of TE's. no problem!

BTW, you might as well cut Edelman. He won't be much of a #1 without Brady.

I’ve never thought much of sanu. The idea wouldn’t be to cut him and make it worse it would be to cut him and use 6.5 mill to make it better.
He’s been back from the injury for weeks and he caught 1 pass yesterday.

sure anyone can have any discussion they want and ignore context but it diminishes the argument.

You're adding context that needn't be added for the particular discussion. How is that any better?

You're adding context that needn't be added for the particular discussion. How is that any better?
We aren’t going to agree on this so I will just move on.

Wtf?
Sanu is either worth 6.5 mill or he isn’t and you can replace him for a better player with that money. Is that really hard to understand?
From what I saw 6.5 mill should be more than enough to get more than what sanu has done.
If you think he is the best player a 6.5 mill cap hit can buy we will have to agree to disagree.
Brady isn’t going anywhere

What you seem to believe is that there is an unlimited number of good WR's available, and that playing on the patriots for a year might be worth something, given that we have very serious WR needs.

Okay, I'll stop. You gave you evaluation method. You can find someone who can give us more for $6.5 than Sanu gave us last year.

If the only restriction is a $6.5M cap, I could do better. Heck, I could write contracts $15M AAV contracts that only had a $6.5M 2020 cap hit.
=====
My very personal opinion is that Sanu is EXTENDED rather than being cut. That at least gives us Edelman (if he stays), Harry and Sanu as a beginning.

Wtf?
Sanu is either worth 6.5 mill or he isn’t and you can replace him for a better player with that money. Is that really hard to understand?
From what I saw 6.5 mill should be more than enough to get more than what sanu has done.
If you think he is the best player a 6.5 mill cap hit can buy we will have to agree to disagree.
Brady isn’t going anywhere

What you seem to believe is that there is an unlimited number of good WR's available, and that playing on the patriots for a year might be worth something, given that we have very serious WR needs.

Okay, I'll stop. You gave you evaluation method. You can find someone who can give us more for $6.5 than Sanu gave us last year.

If the only restriction is a $6.5M cap, I could do better. Heck, I could write contracts $15M AAV contracts that only had a $6.5M 2020 cap hit.
=====
My very personal opinion is that Sanu is EXTENDED rather than being cut. That at least gives us Edelman (if he stays), Harry and Sanu as a beginning.
But the point is that sanu sucks and isn’t worth 6.5 million. There are plenty of WRs they can be signed for a 6.5 cap hit that are better than him. We saw what Harry Edelman and sanu looks like and it’s pisspoor.
I’m not sure what you see out of sanu that tells you it’s a good use of 6.5 mill of cap space.

Belichick has guided the team to 6 Super Bowl wins.

I think he should stay the course.

The Pats need a Professional GM with total autonomy.

I don't know how would they work this out, but I think BB should stay only on coaching duty. Obviously he can have a say here and there, but the Pats needs to reevaluate all ther scouting and draft process. The results aren't good enough. Our best WR is a 7th rounder QB converted to WR. When they don't get lucky to have Gronks or Hernandez slid to them, they don't do well enough.

You can't make this stuff, why did they spent high draft picks in a RB and a CB who never saw the field, when last February, in the SB was pretty clear this offense was flawed. They only had Edelman back then at WR, one year has passed and didn't change. No Gronk? Ok let's not worry about even try to draft a TE in the higher rounds.

Im not pulling that BS card BB the GM is killing BB the coach. It's just business, the drafts haven't been good, the FA signings pretty questionable and there's a need for acountability. You have a 42 years old playing with a bunch of homeless, give me a break, they should do better than that.

It's legitimate to feel pissed about the loss. It's legitimate to review the season, team, what went wrong etc. It's legitimate to feel frustrated that, for example, BB didn't address a woefully weak at TE position. Where you go awry is using your feelings to propel you to blather on that big changes being needed. It's the text book definition of substituting emotions for thought. Rarely does anything turn out well doing that (though that is an art form on many internet posting sites).
I'll skip over what others have so aptly put about historical success, and how history is a solid indicator of future result. What I'll say is the season just ended. This is not the time for big decisions/moves to be made. This is the time to let the dust settle, carefully review the successes and mistakes, come up with a plan that hopefully improves the successes and remedies the mistakes. At that point you can tell us more about who the Patriots would be better off putting in charge over Bill Belichick.

DK Metcalf 7 catches 160 yards

Nkeal Harry 1 catch 11 yards

Fire our WR Scout

Wait til Samuel puts up 100 yards next week :)
Or Hardman takes a short crosser 60 yards to the house or returns a kick for a TD in the Kansas City game.

We saw what Harry Edelman and sanu looks like and it’s pisspoor.

We saw what Harry after 1/2 season on IR, Edelman with knee/shoulder injuries, Sanu arriving mid-season (and promptly injuring his ankle) looked like, catching balls from an injured Brady. Even if BB did absolutely nothing, other than resigning a hopefully healthy Brady, next year should be better at WR than late this season. Now TE however...

We need to get faster and more explosive on offense.

But the point is that sanu sucks and isn’t worth 6.5 million. There are plenty of WRs they can be signed for a 6.5 cap hit that are better than him. We saw what Harry Edelman and sanu looks like and it’s pisspoor.
I’m not sure what you see out of sanu that tells you it’s a good use of 6.5 mill of cap space.
Or maybe there are reasons for Sanu’s recent performance that aren’t expected to be an issue in 2020. The guy has averaged right around 4 catches per game in recent years (including the first half of the season with the Falcons), and then had 10 catches in his first full game in New England. Guys don’t turn into pumpkins immediately like that.

Or maybe there are reasons for Sanu’s recent performance that aren’t expected to be an issue in 2020. The guy has averaged right around 4 catches per game in recent years (including the first half of the season with the Falcons), and then had 10 catches in his first full game in New England. Guys don’t turn into pumpkins immediately like that.
Guys who catch a handful of passes because coverage is focused on Julio Jones Ridley and Hooper can immediately suck when they are getting the attention of the defense. That’s exactly what happened. Sanu as a 4th option is ok but 6.5 mill for a 4th option is too much.

I remember some people thought randall cobb was done yet he went out there for Dallas and had 55 for 828. Cobb much better still at this point than sanu. Cobb was always a guy a liked along with tate who i thought would do well here as 3rd wideout.

Are People actually defending Sanu in this thread??:confused: Wow! he has family posting here.:eek:

If Brady leaves you don’t have to worry about a different direction. They got the 23rd pick this year and if they get worse, they’ll be picking higher next year.

Picking 28-32 just about every draft is a lot different draft game so please no “I told you so’s.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back