PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Pats need a new direction on draft/FA signings

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, when the Pats made the first SB in 1985, I felt I was good for 3 years, if they won or lost, I was OK because they made the SB. When they won the SB in 2001, I thought, I was good for 6 years. So now, in my mind, with the SB appearances and wins over the years, I am good for what, 21 years? I am happy with a 12-4 season and a wild card game.
When people pull the what have you done for me lately 11 months after winning your 3rd SB in 5 years you just have to accept you are talking to people who simply have no clue.

Just saw that Metcalf went for 160 in his playoff debut. That's more than Harry had, total, in his 7 regular season games plus his playoff game.

rofl.gif

I don't know how that'll shake out in the end, but damn.....

Sadly we could have still taken Harry #1, taken Metcalf #2 and Knox #3.

My God, some upside and future. And many wanted to double dip at WR this year, it's not second guessing.

On the upside, we have Sanu instead of a #2 in perhaps the deepest WR draft ever. I hate to say it to Bill is getting what he deserves.

and Sanu's 6.5 million/year salary next year if we keep him. Let's face it, that trade was made out of complete desperation. To the Falcons credit they knew that and this will go down in history as one of Bill's worst trades ever.
His total cap hit for next year is 7.9 million which is more than Edelman makes.

Damm Ole Miss really had Brown, DK, Knox & a few other talented players on the field at the same time.

Just hoping this season lights a fire under us and leads to a big offseason. The last 2 seasons this bad (with brady) were 2002 and 2009, followed with probably the 2 best drafts of the bb era and 14-2 seasons (+5 and +4 on win total year to year) without really splurging in fa.

I’m not because you can’t take it out of context.
They have used less draft pick value in wrs than any team in the league. By far.
And the goal isn’t to be rated as a drafter it’s to win.
I mean, you are right in a sense that end goal is always to have a good team... But one fact doesn't alter another

Looking at the picks, its glaring that so little talent has come out of it and that doesn't need a broader context. It speaks for itself.

Whatever the average is at the position of WRs who pan-out, statiscally, we are lower, because we basically have 0... If you count Edelman, which is fine, is still one hit.

I mean, you are right in a sense that end goal is always to have a good team... But one fact doesn't alter another

Looking at the picks, its glaring that so little talent has come out of it and that doesn't need a broader context. It speaks for itself.
Because they have primarily used other means. They have used far less draft value at WR than other teams do so of course the results are poor. If you don’t value drafting the position and mostly throw late round fliers of course your hit rate is bad.

I still believe Brady is an elite qb and he comes back in 2020.

step 1 this offseason is to get the o line performing to their usual standards. Thuney and karras could leave. Andrews could return from injury. Who knows what we have in cajuste and frodholt. I would not mind seeing us draft Cole van lenen from Wisconsin and kicking him to guard, ala thuney and mankins.

step 2 weapons please! Sign one young veteran receiver with experience as well as green. Draft two wide receivers, Edwards of sc and a speed receiver in the third round. Trade for tight end Howard and draft a tight end in the third round.

step 3 fatties up front. Resign Shelton and butler. Trade out of the first round and take defensive tackle Davis of Alabama early in the second. In the fourth round take nose tackle foku of Utah.

step 4 rebuild the linebackers. Enough with the big thick slow guys that can’t cover a statue. Get some athletes. Van noy ptobsnly leaves so he can get paid.

Step 5 resign d mccourty. Continue to build depth, think speed!!!

step 6 resign slater.

Last edited:
We’re over 130 posts now. Did anybody name that proposed new GM yet?

Just saw that Metcalf went for 160 in his playoff debut. That's more than Harry had, total, in his 7 regular season games plus his playoff game.

rofl.gif

Saw that too. The guy is a beast and hast flat elite speed. I don’t care if he would have struggled to learn the whole offense, he get off the line cleanly, is a legit threat to go the distance on nearly every play.

rofl.gif

You want another embarrassing stat? Jacobi Meyers played 11 games and had 26 receptions for 359 yards. Harry and sanu combined to play 16 games and had 38 receptions for 312 yards 3 tds yet people wanna say it’s not a talent issue. These guys where getting the bulk of the snaps for the pats.

and Sanu's 6.5 million/year salary next year if we keep him. Let's face it, that trade was made out of complete desperation. To the Falcons credit they knew that and this will go down in history as one of Bill's worst trades ever.
His total cap hit for next year is 7.9 million which is more than Edelman makes.
His cap hit is his salary. Any amortized signing bonus stayed on Atlanta’s books.

You want another embarrassing stat? Jacobi Meyers played 11 games and had 26 receptions for 359 yards. Harry and sanu combined to play 16 games and had 38 receptions for 312 yards 3 tds yet people wanna say it’s not a talent issue. These guys where getting the bulk of the snaps for the pats.
There were problems on O this season. No question. Saying Harry & Meyers were getting the bulk of snaps is inaccurate. Harry spent much of the season on IR & didn’t start many of those he played. Meyers, for long stretches, wasn’t utilized either despite being active. Sanu, Edelman & even Dorsett had more opportunities this year.

Because they have primarily used other means. They have used far less draft value at WR than other teams do so of course the results are poor. If you don’t value drafting the position and mostly throw late round fliers of course your hit rate is bad.
Their hit rate is low even when they’ve drafted WRs in the top half of the draft. Dobson, Taylor Price, chad Jackson etc.

There were problems on O this season. No question. Saying Harry & Meyers were getting the bulk of snaps is inaccurate. Harry spent much of the season on IR & didn’t start many of those he played. Meyers, for long stretches, wasn’t utilized either despite being active. Sanu, Edelman & even Dorsett had more opportunities this year.

No they got the majority of the snaps the last 5 to 6 games around there.

Their hit rate is low even when they’ve drafted WRs in the top half of the draft. Dobson, Taylor Price, chad Jackson etc.
Not significantly. The hit rate for players drafted in those spots isn’t good to begin with.
Complaining about 3 picks over 20 years not working out is silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back