PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"The Patriots first pick of the 2011 draft will be running back..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think RB is also a need, just not that high. I wouldn't be surprised if they took two.

But completely disagree DE is deeper.

There is not a single prototype 3-4 DE playing right now.
Maybe G. Warren, but he is on a 1 year contract.
Wright has a serious concussion and probably will not be back this year.
Pryor is 6'1 310, a DT.
Love is 6'1 310, a DT.
Ellison is 6'1 310, a DT.
Wilfork and Brace are NTs.

Warren will be back next year, that's one DE. They need two to start.
I wouldn't count on Deaderick next year.
They need to acquire one if not two quality DEs for next year. One of them will have to start.

The value of the players on the D line shouldn't be measured by if the player is a "prototype" 3-4 player or not. It should be measured by if they were effective or not I think, as evidenced by this last stretch where every d lineman seems banged up, that the D line is deeper. That doesn't mean it can't be or shouldn't be upgraded.

My point is if we were to go into next season with BJGE, Woodhead, for arguments sake lets say Bradford and Clayton. Let's say BJGE tears his ACL week two how confident are you going 14 games with Bradford as your lead back? Personally that scares the crap out of me. I like a guy like Bradford but he's totally unproven, I love Woodhead but there is no way the guy could physically handle that many snaps and Clayton is a total wildcard.

On the flip side next year we get T. Warren back. Which probably leaves us with a starting DL of Warren, Wilfork, Warren, with Pryor, Brace, Wright, and Love as back ups. If T. Warren goes down week 2 with an ACL aren't you a bit more confident Wright, Brace, or Pryor or later round equivalent of Bradfor could step in more effectively? I mean we have seen them do it this year.

The value of the players on the D line shouldn't be measured by if the player is a "prototype" 3-4 player or not. It should be measured by if they were effective or not I think, as evidenced by this last stretch where every d lineman seems banged up, that the D line is deeper. That doesn't mean it can't be or shouldn't be upgraded.

My point is if we were to go into next season with BJGE, Woodhead, for arguments sake lets say Bradford and Clayton. Let's say BJGE tears his ACL week two how confident are you going 14 games with Bradford as your lead back? Personally that scares the crap out of me. I like a guy like Bradford but he's totally unproven, I love Woodhead but there is no way the guy could physically handle that many snaps and Clayton is a total wildcard.

On the flip side next year we get T. Warren back. Which probably leaves us with a starting DL of Warren, Wilfork, Warren, with Pryor, Brace, Wright, and Love as back ups. If T. Warren goes down week 2 with an ACL aren't you a bit more confident Wright, Brace, or Pryor or later round equivalent of Bradfor could step in more effectively? I mean we have seen them do it this year.

You make some good points. But there is a reason why they take tall long-armed Ends to play the 2-gap 3-4. Playing 6'1 310 DL at End is putting a band-aid over a sucking chest wound. They just don't have anyone else.

The DE position is starting to resemble the ILB position a few years ago, when they just couldn't find the right guys to fit until they drafted Mayo found Guyton and finally Spikes and Fletcher. Now ILB is a strength. Hopefully they will start the process this spring by bringing in a high pick at that position.

At RB, I'm not against bringing in a good rookie. Just not that high. I think a Powell or Helu or Bradford in the mid-rounds would be fine, or maybe two of them.
But to counter your point, if BJGE got hurt this week, are you confident that Fred and Sammy could lead us thru the SB. I'm really not. I think Taylor is done. He's on the roster as a mentor and emergency back-up.
There has to be a reason they keep Clayton on the roster, I think it is to ensure they have him for next year.

We can agree that RB and DE are BOTH needs.

As well as OL.

They will draft cam heyward and mikel leshoure...as well as a later round DE and another RB.

You make some good points. But there is a reason why they take tall long-armed Ends to play the 2-gap 3-4. Playing 6'1 310 DL at End is putting a band-aid over a sucking chest wound. They just don't have anyone else.

The DE position is starting to resemble the ILB position a few years ago, when they just couldn't find the right guys to fit until they drafted Mayo found Guyton and finally Spikes and Fletcher. Now ILB is a strength. Hopefully they will start the process this spring by bringing in a high pick at that position.

At RB, I'm not against bringing in a good rookie. Just not that high. I think a Powell or Helu or Bradford in the mid-rounds would be fine, or maybe two of them.
But to counter your point, if BJGE got hurt this week, are you confident that Fred and Sammy could lead us thru the SB. I'm really not. I think Taylor is done. He's on the roster as a mentor and emergency back-up.
There has to be a reason they keep Clayton on the roster, I think it is to ensure they have him for next year.
Clayton has been the proverbial bad penny at the back of the roster, clearly he has Ivan's and BB's confidence that he'll work hard to improve and accept the coaching for whichever roles he's asked to play. That worked out okay for Ben-Jarvus who should receive at least a 2nd round RFA tender in the $1.5M range.

Ben-Jarvus had a good rookie season as an injury replacement. He needed time to improve his receiving and blitz pick-up skills and was given that time to develop on the Practice Squad and Special Teams. Clayton seems to be on a similar path, he just hasn't had the injury replacement opportunity yet.

Who lead all rookie RBs in rushing yards (1007) and had a highlight reel of using opposing players as hurdles. Who looks like one of the next studs in the league?
UNDRAFTED Legarrette Blount.

Granted he was a high talent that stock plummeted by punching a player and being suspended the rest of season, still, undrafted leading all rookies. Second place was undrafted Chris Ivory.

Find the next BJGE/Foster/Blount. 1st rd pick on a rb hahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes