Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The patriot team is sooooo bad?

How bad are we?

The patriots are so bad that they cannot afford to pay a QB and be competitive in the playoffs.
=====
Apparently, this is what many posters believe. We're like the 2019 Dolphins, so bad that we should dump players and tank, and hope that we can get and use a top draft pick.

Apparently, other teams can be competitive and still pay QB's $20M a year, or $30M a year or more. But not the patriots. Our 12-4 (which could have been relatively easily been 13-3) team has such poor talent, coaching and organization that we should simply TRY to be a 4-12 team.
===========
I have watched and followed the patriots for 40 years, and other teams for 20 years before that. I have NEVER, EVER, heard such nonsense from our fans.

How bad are we?

The patriots are so bad that they cannot afford to pay a QB and be competitive in the playoffs.
=====
Apparently, this is what many posters believe. We're like the 2019 Dolphins, so bad that we should dump players and tank, and hope that we can get and use a top draft pick.

Apparently, other teams can be competitive and still pay QB's $20M a year, or $30M a year or more. But not the patriots. Our 12-4 (which could have been relatively easily been 13-3) team has such poor talent, coaching and organization that we should simply TRY to be a 4-12 team.
===========
I have watched and followed the patriots for 40 years, and other teams for 20 years before that. I have NEVER, EVER, heard such nonsense from our fans.
============

Let's be clear. We have an awesome defense. We could restructure Hightower and Gilmore, and re-sign the players we need: McCourty, Shelton, and a midlevel free agent LB. This would leave the resources that we have for the offense.

How bad are we?

=====

===========

There are a lot of people here who are taking the "silly season" expression far too much to heart. If paying QBs on higher deals was some absloute bar to success, the NFC would have fielded zero of its six playoff teams last year, and the Patriots wouldn't have won a Super Bowl post-2004.

We have an entire generation's worth of fans that have known nothing but success. Apparently the indignity of a One n Done is more than they can handle. Hard for those of us who remember...
194207220_ca208b4f-fbd4-46b4-9794-549b09bc6b25.png

...back when 'one n done' meant we were done winning for the year to fathom how a 12-4 division title year is the end of the world. First World Problems...:rolleyes:

============

Let's be clear. We have an awesome defense. We could restructure Hightower and Gilmore, and re-sign the players we need: McCourty, Shelton, and a midlevel free agent LB. This would leave the resources that we have for the offense.
Awesome defense? Not sure about that. I’ll give you pretty good.

We have an entire generation's worth of fans that have known nothing but success. Apparently the indignity of a One n Done is more than they can handle. Hard for those of us who remember...
194207220_ca208b4f-fbd4-46b4-9794-549b09bc6b25.png

...back when 'one n done' meant we were done winning for the year to fathom how a 12-4 division title year is the end of the world. First World Problems...:rolleyes:
Too many fans of winning, Brady and Bill. Not enough NEP fans.

Perhaps, I should have said top 5.

PFF Rankings: All 32 NFL coverage defenses through 17 weeks of the regular season | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF

NFL Team Stats | NFL.com

IMO, the 2019 defense was much better than "pretty good". I would have had one additional "biggie" DL, and said so at the time. Belichick chose to go with Shelton, Guy, Butler and Cowart inside. I do believe the secondary was arguably the best in the NFL. Various stats (and my own eyes) certainly showed that be true. Van Noy/Hightower/Collins/Winovich weren't the very best, but they were very, very good.

Clearly, Belichick traded allowing a bit of run offense for being being completely shut down as far as the secondary.

So, maybe top 5 doesn't qualify as "awesome". I'll stop back and just say that we need to re-sign McCourty and Shelton, and we will no worries about the defense. And yes, we can always get better. We will need to add a LB, and I would still like another biggie on the DL in addition to Shelton (or his replacement).

I’d say the truth lies somewhere in between. I’d give them “very good”. But if I was forced to choose, I’d say they were closer to awesome than pretty good. Not being perfect doesn’t mean they weren’t very good.

How bad are we?

=====

===========

First, that's a remarkable record, MG, wow. You must be older than I am, which makes your consistently highly logical posts impressive.

Second, while the whining and pessimism is pretty silly, and the underlying entitlement obnoxious, I think we've seen this before.

First, that's a remarkable record, MG, wow. You must be older than I am, which makes your consistently highly logical posts impressive.

Second, while the whining and pessimism is pretty silly, and the underlying entitlement obnoxious, I think we've seen this before.

There are folks here that have been fans since the first patriot game, and were Browns or Giants fans before that.

This team needs an infusion of players that possess Cat like quickness

All you need is one good draft. Any team.

Focus on the defence in the draft. Free agency and trades for the offense and I think we will be set for another run at 7.

How bad are we?

=====

===========
Umm. When you are growing old as a team at the key positions, I guess you could pay out of obligation like the 90s Cowboys. All it did was lead to 25 years of mediocrity.

I don't think anyone on here felt going 12-4 was a problem. That was a better mark than the Super Bowl team the prior year that won everything after going 11-5 in the regular season.

But to suggest that we get held hostage by players like Brady rather than building for success long-term is just paying out of nostalgia rather than wisdom.

We don't have to tank, but we aren't likely to be good even with Brady this next year. Just look at the schedule. It is brutal with the aging veterans we currently have. On the other hand, if we lured a great WR and Gronk back, maybe we'd have a shot. So who knows.

But claiming we should just throw money at old players or be labeled pessimistic is not only wearing rose colored glasses, but being unfair to fellow posters who want the team to continue to succeed.

Cue the your mama jokes .........

The defense was awesome vs bad quarterbacks and gave up plenty of points to Watson and Jackson and couldn't stop RYAN Fitzpatrick at home w a bye on the line and couldn't stop RYAN Tannehill with the season on the line. I'll take a HARD PASS on the "awesome" Defense...they were ineffective against Jag quarterbacks in the most important situations when it mattered most

I’d say the truth lies somewhere in between. I’d give them “very good”. But if I was forced to choose, I’d say they were closer to awesome than pretty good. Not being perfect doesn’t mean they weren’t very good.
They looked like world beaters against hideous offenses, good against average ones and pretty mediocre when the big games arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes