PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official 2020 UDFA Signing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious.. Why do you have Hastings over Thomas or Zuber ? Is it just the respective starting point on the depth chart based on his experience with Stidham or did you see something in his highlights that stood out specifically ?

Personally, I don't think that any of the UDFA's have much of a chance to make the 53. Any of them would need to beat out Lee, Myers and Gunner. That presumes that we even have 4 WR's on the 53 man roster.

I expect that Hastings has a long-shot chance because of previous experience with Stidham. If Stidham is our future, I think that he will be given a serious look, certainly for the Practice Squad.

I was surprised to see 4 players with 100K+ guarantees. I'd love to see the guarantees for the rest of the league. I wonder if this is a new strategy on the Pats part, to be more aggressive with UDFA offers, or if this is just their response (in order to compete for their preferred players) to a league-wide trend.

I was surprised by Zuber's (100K) and Murray's (125K) guarantees. Zuber had a disappointing senior season but they must like his potential in the slot. Murray is an interesting guy who seems to have flown under the radar because people were focusing on his name. Very productive career and very athletic for a DT.

I could be way off on this but it seems like a good sign to me that Thomas swallowed his pride and took such a measly signing bonus, even though he is probably the most talented guy on the list, knowing that he lost the benefit of the doubt with his behavior at Miami.
He could be our next JC Jackson

Just curious.. Why do you have Hastings over Thomas or Zuber ? Is it just the respective starting point on the depth chart based on his experience with Stidham or did you see something in his highlights that stood out specifically ?

Especially Thomas.

Perhaps Hastings will beat out Olszewski for his #5 or #6 WR spot, that is his Practice Squad position.

Edelman, Sanu, Harry, Bryd is plenty for the active squad, given the new rules. However, I expect Lee to be the #5 WR.
Olszewski made the team for one reason only, they were desperate for a punt returner. Two UnDrafted Free Agents are better than Olzewski (Thomas, Riley). Dugger will be the prime PR. I think Hastings can PR if given the opportunity. I believe that Hastings is close with Stidham and attended his wedding! I love the way Hastings runs his routes. Can't wait till we see this competition in camp.

Olszewski made the team for one reason only, they were desperate for a punt returner. Two UnDrafted Free Agents are better than Olzewski (Thomas, Riley). Dugger will be the prime PR. I think Hastings can PR if given the opportunity. I believe that Hastings is close with Stidham and attended his wedding! I love the way Hastings runs his routes. Can't wait till we see this competition in camp.

1) We don't know if we will carry 5 WR's. The #5WR is a punt returner. Also, we can easily carry a couple of WR's on the PS. As you say Dugger is likely our PR. I believe Bryd is also a punt returner.

2) IF there is a 5th WR, Hastings would need to beat out Myers and Lee (in addition to gunner). I would think that Meyers should be heavily favored, since he had so much experience with Stidham last year.

3) Bottom line is that it is a great success for Hastings to make the PS of the patriots.

So the reason why Thaddeus Moss didn't sign with the Pats was because "they called late". :rolleyes:

While the Pats sure seem to do that often, he wouldn't had signed with them anyways after f*cking over his dad.

So the reason why Thaddeus Moss didn't sign with the Pats was because "they called late". :rolleyes:

While the Pats sure seem to do that often, he wouldn't had signed with them anyways after f*cking over his dad.
Disagree with your last part, he sure would’ve signed with the Pats if they had called first, he even stated that.

I honestly think Gunner May have hard time making team....honestly there is a lot of competition coming in and he didn’t show a lot and was injured a lot last year...going to be interesting

I think a lot of people see the signing bonuses and think this must somehow correlate to ability or chances to make the team. And then they see Thomas' bonus and just dismiss him.

I honestly think he makes the roster if he can keep himself from going off the rails. And that is a big if.

Last edited:
Thomas has the most talent and from reading this article he was as talented as some of the WRs that went in the first round of the draft this year
"He came to the program in 2017 as a four-star recruit and the No. 5 wide receiver in the country. He ranked behind drafted receivers Donovan Peoples-Jones, Tee Higgins and Jerry Jeudy and in front of first-round picks Henry Ruggs and Jalen Reagor.

Read more at: What Patriots Can Expect From ‘Explosive’ Rookie Wideout Jeff Thomas

If Thomas can commit to the Patriot way and focus purely on football and Belichick coaches him up then we might have another 1st round WR on this team but at a bargain price.

Disagree with your last part, he sure would’ve signed with the Pats if they had called first, he even stated that.

They weren't "late", they just weren't first. Agree that he would have signed with Pats if they had called first, but also if they were "late" but offered him more money. From what I read, Moss only got a 20K guarantee. If the Pats had come in at 40-50K, he may have signed with them.

I can't find a centralized site that lists UDFA bonuses for all teams but I've found 6 or 7 teams' lists and no other team has more than 2 players with 100+ guarantees (Saints have two).

I honestly think Gunner May have hard time making team....honestly there is a lot of competition coming in and he didn’t show a lot and was injured a lot last year...going to be interesting
I am on the Gunner band wagon. He switched position and he was noticeably more explosive than his completion and he didn’t look out of position during the training camp last year.
These new guys been playing the same position for years. They didn’t have a lot of production in college and some of them have other issues.
Assuming Gunner stays healthy, and there is isn’t a hug gap in talent I would go with Gunner for his availability and untapped potential.

Personally, I don't think that any of the UDFA's have much of a chance to make the 53. Any of them would need to beat out Lee, Myers and Gunner. That presumes that we even have 4 WR's on the 53 man roster.

I expect that Hastings has a long-shot chance because of previous experience with Stidham. If Stidham is our future, I think that he will be given a serious look, certainly for the Practice Squad.

Belichick loves the UDFAs. A couple of guys always make the practice squad. The list is really long - off the top of my head: Brian Hoyer, Brandon Bolden, David Andrews, Randall Gay, Jacob Hollister, Johnathan Jones, Kyle Love, Malcolm Butler, Zak Sudfeld, - who else?

The running back out of Miami who they signed is a knucklehead but a Dave Meggett type receiver/returner. I forget his name. If he gets his head out of his arse, he could be great and let Edelman off the hook in the return game.

I am on the Gunner band wagon. He switched position and he was noticeably more explosive than his completion and he didn’t look out of position during the training camp last year.
These new guys been playing the same position for years. They didn’t have a lot of production in college and some of them have other issues.
Assuming Gunner stays healthy, and there is isn’t a hug gap in talent I would go with Gunner for his availability and untapped potential.

So, you would choose Gunner over Meyers?

Edelman, Sanu, Harry, Byrd,

Belichick loves the UDFAs. A couple of guys always make the practice squad. The list is really long - off the top of my head: Brian Hoyer, Brandon Bolden, David Andrews, Randall Gay, Jacob Hollister, Johnathan Jones, Kyle Love, Malcolm Butler, Zak Sudfeld, - who else?

The running back out of Miami who they signed is a knucklehead but a Dave Meggett type receiver/returner. I forget his name. If he gets his head out of his arse, he could be great and let Edelman off the hook in the return game.

Why aren't Dugger and Byrd returning punts? We don't need to use a roster spot for a punt returner.

Why aren't Dugger and Byrd returning punts? We don't need to use a roster spot for a punt returner.

I like Dugger as a returner a lot. He reminds me of Cordarelle Patterson - big, fast and will be able to dish it out in the return game. Jeff Thomas is the kid from Miami. He was a terrific returner in the ACC.

No matter how it works out, I think it is important to turn those duties over to a younger player and let Edelman focus on being a go-to-guy for Stidham.

I think a lot of people see the signing bonuses and think this must somehow correlate to ability or chances to make the team. And then they see Thomas' bonus and just dismiss him.

I honestly think he makes the roster if he can keep himself from going off the rails. And that is a big if.

Another poster mentioned it but I think it's a good sign he came here despite getting offered the least amount of guaranteed money. His blurb in Dane Brugler's draft guide is interesting:

(NFL Scout: “He’s bright and not a bad kid at all. But he’s unpredictable because of his immaturity. If he ever grows up or a coach figures out what motivates him, look out.”). Overall, Thomas is an electric athlete with the light-footed acceleration and ball-tracking skills to be a splashy NFL playmaker, but he is undersized and most NFL coaches won’t tolerate his lack of maturity, projecting as a borderline draft pick.

I assume as a priority free agent Thomas was offered more than $2,500 by another team. He at least recognizes the opportunity here for a team that lacks speed at WR.

Why does everyone have Mohaned Sanu as a lock to make this team? His high ankle sprain was so bad he needed surgery. However, he waited until March 3rd to have the surgery. I have heard that he is still in walking boot. Sanu could just as easily be a June 1st salary dump.

For me who ever picks up the offense is in sync with Stidham and shows out in practices and preseason should be the receivers on the field.

Regardless of draft stock or veteran status.

Best players play
Period

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes