SOURCE:nj.com

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Dolphins
Sun
Sep 13th

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

The Official 2020 UDFA Signing Thread

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by manxman2601, Apr 25, 2020.

1. reamer

reamer Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16,039
    I'm curious what people see in Zuber. Can you point me to games where he displayed translatable skills? I'm not high on his prospects at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. notex

notex Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +248
    I have same question but on Gunner...

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Patsgofor4

Patsgofor4 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +2,787
    E3167049-036A-4BD5-B94B-EF1D90701B11.jpeg
    I can't post in the NFL transactions/free agency thread for some reason, so I'll put this here, given that one of the pats UDFAs would most likely cut if the Pats claim Nelson or sign him if he clears waivers. He was mentioned as a potential draft target of the Pats in 2018 but I could find an info about an official visit to Foxboro.

New England Patriots: 7-Round 2018 mock draft pre-Combine

Mocked to Pats in 3rd rd.

New England Patriots 2018 7-round mock draft 1.0 | CLNS Media

Mocked to Pats in 2d round.

5 draft prospects coming off injury that should be on Patriots' radar - Pats Pulpit

Most importantly....check el tres cono.

13A87FC0-9A60-4E7E-8C83-E91A4383F315.jpeg

• Thank You Thank You x 1
  4. Chevrolet

Chevrolet On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1,039
    I think Sanu is being vastly underrated on this board. Yes he underperformed last year (probably mainly due to an ankle injury) and the patriots overpaid in the trade to get him. But you do not fix that wrong by cutting him.

The guy has been a consistently solid WR,

over 55 receptions/year 6 times in his career. good size. polished route runner. great hands. He is not explosive or elusive but he can block.

Overall given his experience I think the Pats should definitely keep him around for 1 more year. He will definitely be a security blanket for Stidham next year especially when a tough catch in traffic is needed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. luuked

luuked Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +33,921
    I really like Sanu and think he can be pretty effective in our offense.

That being said we have seen this script play out multiple times now with Amendola or Dwayne Allen. Player with somewhat bigger cap hit (relative to his peers) has absolutely zero guarantees going into camp and signs a new deal before the end of camp that changes his money into a guaranteed portion (which kinda makes him a roster lock) and some reasonable incentives which overall keep his number close to the same.

Of course it is possible that Sanu's camp will reject any altering of the deal but they have not much leverage unless they think he can get a better deal as a street FA at the start of September (or whenever final cuts occur this year).

Or they just assume BB is bluffing and doubt that Sanu won't be on the W1 roster (for the money to become guaranteed as a vested vet). But that is easy to say right now without seeing the competition. Once camp starts those feelings might change a bit if maybe Zuber or Thomas start creating some heat.

Point being it is never a good position to be in if you go into camp with 6M totally non-guaranteed at any position and specifically WR.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
  6. Ring 6

Ring 6 PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club

Ratings:
    +7,699
    Doesn’t BB normally address the pay cut well before camp?

I think if he was unsure about Sanu he could have easily thrown a 6.5 year one cap hit at a bunch of potential replacements. Hard to envision letting him go with no signing made. As of now he’s a very important cog, compared to who would move up.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. luuked

luuked Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +33,921
    Dola had once a preemptive "adjustment" and once it took well into camp. Dwayne Allen had his adjustment in the final days of camp in 2018. In all those situations they had all the leverage since the player had no guaranteed cash. Stay flexible to cut them if someone outplays them but keep push off the decision for as long as possible in case of injuries or players not developing as projected.

I agree. But that doesn't change that going into a season with no guaranteed money and a cap hit of 6M as WR is anything but a sure thing with BB running the show.

Honestly, the most likely scenario to me is an extension by a year during camp. But the team has all the time in the world to do that. They can find the missing money to sign Dugger practically anywhere. It is less a million in cap space.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13,753
    Most teams have cut more 1st and 2nd round DBs than they have drafted wide receivers on their roster. Nature of the business.

What's sad is veteran posters like yourself who continue to wallow in this supposed issue despite the fact that BB has won 6 DBs and taken us to 9 over this 20 year span. Not to mention the fact that he's not had a losing season outside the 1st one that was a mess because of the lousy contracts he was stuck with from Grier and Co..

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. borisman

borisman Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1,215
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11,439
    Is it really time for the UDFa's to put on the team, the normal posters dream?

7th Edelman (a top NFL punt returner who became a top WR)
    3rd Sanu
    1st Harry
    2nd Lee (perhaps PUP)
    UDFA Byrd, our 2020 backup UDFA punt returner

All but a couple are UDFA's? Are you referring to those competing for the Practice Squad and the backup PR position?

11. notex

notex Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +248
    I believe he meant when you add in Gunner, Meyers, Thomas, Hastings, Zuber or whatever this name is, Ross, etc...

The total is somewhere around 13-14 WR's competing -- with probably 50% at least being UDFA. This actually doesn't bug me too much.

I do think, however, that we are going to be seeing a lot of more versatile sets this year. We have a versatile RB group that can line-up anywhere (Sony/White/Burkhead/Harris), TEs that seem well-rounded albeit young, and two FBs - Vitale looks like he can do more than just block.

Put me in the camp of people that really wish we had an absolute stud at WR, but I truly believe that our offense will be OK....

Stidham seems capable of making things happen with his legs as well...

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. robertweathers

robertweathers PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +82,364
    Not sure I totally agree. Sony is an enigma in the passing game. White is functional, but not respected in the running game. Harris hasn't played so we have no idea what he can do. Vitale can't really hang his hat on anything at this point.

The only player in that group in which a defense cannot key on what they will do is Burkhead.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. ChrisR2223

ChrisR2223 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13,483
    I'd like to see what Sony can do in the passing game with a QB who may throw him the ball time to time

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Maybe Not... Maybe Not... x 1
  14. IllegalContact

IllegalContact PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +14,700
    that could change with a new QB......priority 1 in the passing game was for the RB to be able to pick up a blitzer due to brady's lack of mobility.......those who did not excel in those plays would be pretty much only out there on running plays Ridley, BJGE, Blount....

15. Scotty

Scotty On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +383
    Maybe a bit of uncharted territory without TB , but more exciting in a sense. An interesting challenge to get this all to gel , possibly made worse with Covid etc etc and time to practice together.
    Maybe we do have a more inexperienced group of WR's than usual but I think there is potential to build on.

16. robertweathers

robertweathers PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +82,364
    Yea who knows. At U of GA Sony showed he could catch the ball. For whatever reason is hasn't happen here. Could be Tom. Could be Sony. All his catches seem to be in the flat as opposed to having an expanded route tree which White and Burk have.

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Sfpat

Sfpat In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2,098
    Yep, Pats are the only team that do not have 14 1st round pick s competing for WR roster spots.....Oh wait.....

18. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11,439
    And all the UDFA's may or may not compete for the 5th WR spot, if there is one.

So, know I don't focus on how many UDFA's we have, since I expect Edelman, Sanu, Harry and Byrd are very likely to be our WR's, with a possible fifth (I have Lee there, possibly on PUP). We'll have the usual couple of UDFA's on the Practice Squad.

19. Zuma

Zuma PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5,963
    I think Meyers is close to a lock. The chemistry he and Stidham showed in practice and pre-season last year will shine during the regular season. He will end up with the 3rd most receiving yards for a WR behind Edelman and Sanu or Harry IMO.

Meyers was 3rd in 2019 with 359 yards....I expect that number to be closer 659 if there are 16 games.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. Kenneth Sims

Kenneth Sims PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,486
    The 2018 Kansas St. opener against S. Dakota St. K state was down by two scores early in the 4th quarter. Zuber returns a punt for a TD and then catches the game winning TD pass. Then, there was another game against Oklahoma which was very impressive.

I also watched a film breakdown done of Zuber by a commentator taking about him joining the Mississippi State program in 2019.

I’m not an expert here, but I’m really impressed by him. He’s a natural at catching the ball. The other thing I look at is how defenders react to him when setting up and coming out of his breaks. They overreact a lot which leads me to believe he’s tricky quick running his routes.

We’ll all see come the fall. Hopefully, he stays healthy (hip surgery after 2018 season) and earns a spot on the team. I just think he could be a very productive player in the Patriots offense. And, I thought that before I learned the Pats guaranteed $100,000 of his salary.

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1