PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Jonathan Jones hit wasn't dirty

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I'm honestly surprised how big a deal is being made of this hit. Even talk by other fans and announcers of how he should have been ejected. I don't see it that way at all.

Allen had every chance to slide before first contact. He didn't. He had every to allow the initial tackle to take him down. He decided to go for that extra yard by lunging forward head first.

If Jones doesn't make a hit to stop him Allen would have picked up a key first down. He had to hit him head on to stop his forward progress. He didn't launch himself helmet first like a missle. He tried to deliver a hard tackle into his chest. The much taller Allen lowered his head as well. Accidents happen.

Maybe it should have been a penalty and maybe not but it wasn't dirty.

Last edited:
Idk why everyone says unnessicary. If not for that hit he would have got a first down for sure. He got it with the penalty anyway but still was he just suppose to let him dive forward for 2 more yards?

Plus, Allen initiated the hit. He leaned forward and put his head down. It’s how he rolls.

That's borderline spearing by Allen

Last edited:
The play was officiated correctly.

Helmet to helmet hit. Unintentional which is why there was no disqualification. Obvious because he doesnt even lead with his and turned his shoulder. But a strike to the head nonetheless. Unfortunate but thats how it is officiated in today’s game.

IMO you have to be pretty delusional to call that dirty. Not much else Jones can do to prevent him from getting the first down.

Jones was trying to stop Allen short of the first down marker, which seems to be something that went unnoticed since that's obviously why Jones came up and made the hit to begin with. Allen didn't slide and was just like a running back, so he was treated accordingly as Jones lowered his shoulder and the two just colldied. The helmet contact was incidental, not intentional. People say had it been Brady, the Bills defender would have been ejected. But as a veteran, Brady wouldn't have been stupid enough to have done what Allen did to put himself in that position.

It was a bad decision and Allen - unfortunately - paid the price.

Just checked the bills forum. They're still going on about the hit and how dirty it was. Like an alternate universe.

I understand supporting your team but the tape doesn't lie.

Just checked the bills forum. They're still going on about the hit and how dirty it was. Like an alternate universe.

Post the zack Cox tweet over there.

The initial Announcers shape so much of the convo , and these today were stupid

“Defenseless runner” was mentioned, that is not even something that exists, a runner is not defenseless, a receiver and passer can be defenseless but the moment you try to run you accept the risk of getting hit

Also you can hit helmet to helmet on a runner so long as you don’t target/spear/launch...arguably shouldn’t have even been a personal foul

So the rest doesn’t even matter, but the hit had to be high to stop the momentum and stop him 1-2 yards short of getting the first down

Allen gave himself a concussion. Full stop. I didn’t get a good look of the play during the game, but it’s obvious Allen leaned into JJ.

I also read a long Bills thread and I stopped counting at 10 posters who feel a multi-game suspension is called for.

Good call all around. Obvious penalty, good call to not eject.

Dummies. This ain't the Rob Gronkowski hit. I can accept a 15 yard penalty, but only in a "I guess that's what the NFL has to do these days" way. But if a Pats defender is in that situation again I want him to make the ballcarrier pay, just like Jonathan Jones did. If you barrel into two defenders headfirst when refuse the option to slide, this is a thing that will probably happen.

Jones was trying to stop Allen short of the first down marker, which seems to be something that went unnoticed since that's obviously why Jones came up and made the hit to begin with. Allen didn't slide and was just like a running back, so he was treated accordingly as Jones lowered his shoulder and the two just colldied. The helmet contact was incidental, not intentional. People say had it been Brady, the Bills defender would have been ejected. But as a veteran, Brady wouldn't have been stupid enough to have done what Allen did to put himself in that position.

It was a bad decision and Allen - unfortunately - paid the price.

BINGO

Well what are we supposed to trust our lying eyes or the impartial and objective members of the esteemed Billdos forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing