PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Herd: "Brady may be at fault for Pats' WR woes"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still like his chances of getting open down field than harry and sanu or dorsett.

It doesn't do much good to get open in the wrong place.

Yep, showing up at OTAs would’ve helped N’Keal Harry’s ***checks notes*** LEAGUE WORST separation per NFL Next Gen stats

True but harry wasn’t doing much. Why not just split the reps. I believe he got no snaps against the titans

The actual answer to this is likely the obvious one:

Harry is the first round pick, and BB is invested in him.

Yep, showing up at OTAs would’ve helped N’Keal Harry’s ***checks notes*** LEAGUE WORST separation per NFL Next Gen stats

Where do sanu and dorsett rank? They can’t be too far behind especially in the second half of the year.

This is pretty silly. He's basically saying you should rely on the athleticism of the receiver and not the system or nous to get a guy open. Throwing to half-covered guys and allowing them to make plays is ok when you don't have another higher percentage shot. Pats have been the best offense for a decade precisely by scheming guys open and throwing to the open guy and not relying on the receiver's athleticism. Why would they change that now? Also why would changing improve the best offense of the decade.

I think he is saying in the NFL today QB mobility and receiver athleticism matter more. The Pats don’t emphasize either skill. He’s not wrong.

You can run the Pats current version of EP and incorporate both. They incorporated receiver athleticism with Moss, Cooks and AB. Greater QB mobility can be incorporated too.

I’ m looking at it and it seems overrated the way they do it. They have sanu getting more cushion than guys like sanders, Hopkins, metcalf etc.

WTF.gif

Antonio Brown is 0% at fault for the WR woes.

Well... he did manage to get himself off the team and under basically indefinite suspension by the NFL but other than that no fault at all :rolleyes:.

The following players had worse separation than Harry: Devante Parker, Kenny Golladay, Marvin Jones, Terry McLaurin, Mike Williams. Harry had basically the same stat as Julio Jones, AJ Brown, and Allen Robinson.

The stat is completely meaningless.

I don't think Brady is a very patient QB in terms of teaching newbie WRs...
I think he used to be better at it. Past few years I think he’s gotten complacent. Thought he had all the answers to the test, started taking summer vacation with the family instead of working to build rapport with the new kids the way he had with Edelman. Then when he was under the gun in the games he looked for that security blanket he was most comfortable with and forced throws to JE11 instead of spreading the ball around the way he once did.

Harry is a touchy subject around here. I've been banned every time I've criticized him. If you were encouraged by what you saw from Harry this year, you are delusional. It wasn't good, especially for a 1st rounder that you desperately need to become your WR1 and quickly. With that said, in case someone claims this genuine opinion is trolling, I really hope he somehow figures out how to separate and plays like a 1st round pick next year. This team badly needs it, and I'd be thrilled with that result.

Harry for a 2nd rounder in the draft? Would anyone even do that?

Harry for a 2nd rounder in the draft? Would anyone even do that?
Heck, why not? somebody traded a second for Sanu!

The actual answer to this is likely the obvious one:

Harry is the first round pick, and BB is invested in him.
BB didn’t used to get emotionally invested in players because of their draft position. He’s always been more about how they worked and what they showed in practice. So maybe there’s a difference that he sees day to day around the workplace.

Heck, why not? somebody traded a second for Sanu!
lol, funny. I would take any 2nd rounder for him with the WR class this year. TE in the 1st, WR in 2nd and best next weapon somewhere in the 3rd. Let someone else scramble to let Harry get downfield and then chuck up 50/50 balls to him.

If we had a little fewer dropped passes and were able to run the RZ and convert a few more , we wouldnt be having this conversation. It was a collective miss this yr for the offense and the injuries also played a big part in it.

Well... he did manage to get himself off the team and under basically indefinite suspension by the NFL but other than that no fault at all :rolleyes:.

He wasn't even on the team until after the season started, and he only played in one game. Use your freakin' head.

I really hate that narrative. The time for teaching is supposed to be in the offseason, not every freakin' weak of the actual season. Brady wasn't having any problems teaching Thomas or Brown, was he?
Agree, you’re that the time for teaching and developing rapport is offseason. That’s why I say Brady skipping team sessions for family time is very significant.
Also, AB already knew how to be a professional football diva, he didn’t need Brady’s teaching him anything. You’d have a better argument about Thomas if Brady had taught him well enough to stick on the roster.

Tom Brady skips Patriots' first voluntary workout and here's why he might skip them all

BB didn’t used to get emotionally invested in players because of their draft position. He’s always been more about how they worked and what they showed in practice. So maybe there’s a difference that he sees day to day around the workplace.

If you look at his history, he gives a lot more opportunity to higher draft picks. And I'm not saying that there's anything inherently wrong with that. But you are almost always going to give the guy you thought had first round talent a lot more opportunity than you give the guy who made the team as a UDFA who won the final spot in a weak position group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back