PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Herd: "Brady may be at fault for Pats' WR woes"

Status
Not open for further replies.
relevant part begins at 4:30

consider the source and all that, but it is interesting..... if this guy sees this, you know BB does.

Is their a stat site that calculates QB completion % by position (WR, TE, RB)?

consider the source and all that, but it is interesting..... if this guy sees this, you know BB does.

This is pretty silly. He's basically saying you should rely on the athleticism of the receiver and not the system or nous to get a guy open. Throwing to half-covered guys and allowing them to make plays is ok when you don't have another higher percentage shot. Pats have been the best offense for a decade precisely by scheming guys open and throwing to the open guy and not relying on the receiver's athleticism. Why would they change that now? Also why would changing improve the best offense of the decade.

Pats' passing offense rank by yards (includes sack yards lost), last 9 years:

2011: #2 (5,084)
2012: #4 (4,662)
2013: #10 (4,087)
2014: #9 (4,121)
2015: #5 (4,587)
2016: #4 (4,308)
2017: #2 (4,418)
2018: #8 (4,258)
2019: #8 (3,961)

Average: #5.8 (4,387)

So every year the past nine years, the Patriots have had a top 10 passing offense. And the last 5 years they've had nothing but top 8 passing offenses. So it's not like Brady isn't able to get the ball to his wide receivers. But it may be true that the way the Patriots play makes it harder for rookies to put up numbers.

Well, he says what most of us often think. And the stats he cites are real, and very frustrating--we cannot draft receivers, or if we can, they don't fit our system or something. I would add, that why is it that some of these young receivers are as good or better against league competition, and then when the season begins can no longer get separation. I mean they're playing against these same rookies who do get separation on other teams once the season begins. Whatever, he sounds convincing, but then our record till the second half of this year speaks for itself.

The EP offensive scheme or it's option routes is unique but when perfected is the most potent offense out there.

It does take time to develop but the rewards have been proven.

I have no idea what the actual breakdown is : Brady vs weapons. I do think it’s naive to say Brady doesn’t carry any blame for the O’s woes this season. His teammates let him down, no question. But he wasn’t at his best.

The source is a giant Brady fanboy, so I will consider it more likely to be a genuine opinion.

Last edited:
Let's say for argument's sake he has a point and Brady's strength is quick passes between the numbers. Given that, why would you enter the season with no TE and draft a big, slow outside receiver?

A large portion of blame needs to go to coaching. The schemes were were poorly executed. Couldnt they coach up and run a darn pick play.. very little confused the defense to cause busted coverage.

He has a point and if you dismiss his point based solely on the success the Patriots have had, then i think you are acting like Verbatim board of directors when they were presented with the idea of MP3 players potentially causing the decline of CDs popularity.

Those who argue that there should be no change because of past success are also saying that other teams can't learn how to defend Brady over time. There are over 18 years of film out there and as the saying goes, the world is inherently changing, if you are unwilling or unable to change, you are headed towards irrelevance. The 18 years reference is just about Brady and tendencies he may have developed over the years. I know the foundation of their system is formless and is like the water that takes the shape of how the defense is structured. I think you can get a mobile QB and build him up over the years and he will be serviceable with a good defense.

This is a test for BB and I am rooting for him. This is the 2010 off season all over again but with greater uncertainty. BB will reinvent the team. That I have no doubt.

Last edited:
Taylor Price, Aaron Dobson, Josh Boyce, Kembrell thompkins all did nothing in the NFL, they just were't good enough, very simple. That's what we have to go on this decade. Cowherd has know idea what N'keal is, we'll just have to wait and see how he pans out

Also this whole idea that play extenders make wideouts, Josh Gordon did less in Seattle with Wilson than he did in NE this season or even the season before when he just learned the NE offense.

Sorry, and Im actually a Colin Cowherd fan.

But while Brady does not extend plays like the other quarterbacks he mentioned, we have all seen Brady slide around the pocket this season and extend plays over 5 seconds and still zero separation.

I do think the Patriot offense does require receivers to be smarter than all those other teams though. And that may be where the problem lies. The patriot offense is all about the route depending on what the defense shows, and the quarterback and receiver have to read it the same, and read it the same quickly. How quickly a receiver can process information is more important on the Patriots

That was absolute nonsense, and I resent having been exposed to it.

That was absolute nonsense, and I resent having been exposed to it.
You know what else is nonsense and I totally resent? Not being invited to Kontra's wedding. Anyone else feel that way? It's the kind of topic that could what, maybe worth 30-40 threads? Anyway, wish him the best, Cowturd can **** himself though.

Sees what?

You know what else is nonsense and I totally resent? Not being invited to Kontra's wedding. Anyone else feel that way? It's the kind of topic that could what, maybe worth 30-40 threads? Anyway, wish him the best, Cowturd can **** himself though.

Hell no. Just imagine the percentage of the Kontra wedding party that's going to end up spending the night at the Ironbar Hotel...

Allow me to point to a Christopher Gaspar piece as a bit of a rebuttal. It's nothing earth shattering, as it's just what most of the sane people have noted. But it's coming from an AFC personnel evaluator, rather than just coming out of Cowherd's ass:

“The O-line was a big question mark all year,” said the AFC personnel evaluator. “Edelman is 33, you have no tight ends, you’ve got an undrafted rookie in Jakobi Meyers, you got another rookie in N’Keal Harry. What is he really throwing to? In my opinion, it’s a combination of both.

But I definitely think the guy is capable of going out there and being a high-level QB, without a doubt. Most of the teams in the league would take this guy, not just because of who he is, but because of his current skill set.

He can still play. He’s not one of these guys where the wheels fell off and he can’t play anymore. I wouldn’t go there at all. He did not have a lot to work with, I’ll be honest.”

Tom Brady’s preference has to be staying with Patriots - The Boston Globe

I was thinking about Brady's performance earlier today. Some of his numbers, including QB rating and completion %, went down after the Cleveland game. In the first quarter of the game he was throwing lasers and then started missing guys left and right during the 2nd to 4th quarters. I think he got hurt at some point in that game. Maybe that's when he got the tennis elbow?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye