PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Greatest NFL Quarterbacks of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elway is hilariously overrated by almost all old people. He retired with a worse career passer rating than guys that played in the NFL's version of the Dead Ball Era. GTFO with ranking him top 5.

Brady Montana and the rest I don't care about except maybe unitas

I agree. These three are a cut above and would definitely be my top 3 if you go far back enough in time to include Unitas. Rodgers and Brees are both likely to fall and are overrated due to recency bias, especially because of their stat-oriented arguments. As soon as their statistical records fall, they'll be lucky to be top 10. See Dan Marino, Steve Young and Brett Favre to see the cycle of the stat king who sinks fast the moment he's surpassed. To some degree Peyton Manning is going through it now; the thought of comparing Brees to him would have seemed laughable three years ago.

Elway is hilariously overrated by almost all old people. He retired with a worse career passer rating than guys that played in the NFL's version of the Dead Ball Era. GTFO with ranking him top 5.

Who are your top 5? How do you determine it?

Keep in mind what a quarterback's job actually is.

This is why I don’t want the Saints to win. The Brees GOAT bs has started this season and it’s annoying as hell

Outside of Brady being number 1, it's a brutal list.

Here, let me help you guy so you don't have to click:

30: Phil Simms
29: Randall Cunningham
28: Troy Aikman
27: Sid Luckman
26: Ken Anderson
25: Terry Bradshaw
24: Tony Romo
23: Jim Kelly
22: Warren Moon
21: Sonny Jurgensen
20: Donovan McNabb
19: Roger Staubach
18: Kurt Warner
17: Sammy Baugh
16: Fran Tarkenton
15: John Elway
14: Johnny Unitas
13: Bart Starr
12: Phillip Rivers
11: Russell Wilson
10: Ben Roethlisberger
9: Otto Graham
8: Brett Favre
7: Joe Montana
6: Aaron Rodgers
5: Steve Young
4: Dan Marino
3: Peyton Manning
2: Drew Brees
1: Tommy

My Thoughts: I give much more weight to championships, so Bradshaw, and Aikman should be ranked higher. Staubach too. They lost me at Romo. Child, please. Tony Romo? What the hell did that guy ever win? In what universe is Steve Young ahead of Joe Montana? Tony Montana, sure, but not Joe. Phillip Rivers? Stop it. You could maybe put him at 25. Even that is a reach. Now we are in the area of Drew Bledsoe. I'd put Eli ahead of Phillip Rivers, at least he's got rings.

My Thoughts: I give much more weight to championships, so Bradshaw, and Aikman should be ranked higher. Staubach too. They lost me at Romo. Child, please. Tony Romo? What the hell did that guy ever win? In what universe is Steve Young ahead of Joe Montana? Tony Montana, sure, but not Joe. Phillip Rivers? Stop it. You could maybe put him at 25. Even that is a reach. Now we are in the area of Drew Bledsoe. I'd put Eli ahead of Phillip Rivers, at least he's got rings.

Philip Rivers, Russell Wilson and Ben Roehlisberger over Johnny Unitas.

Steve Young over Joe Montana! I mean there are about 100 dumb things you can point to here, but Young over Montana? Probably the most obvious one.

Drew Brees has never been better than the #2 best quarterback in the league, and is often below #2, but he’s #2 all-time? Would love to hear that reasoning.

Philip Rivers, Russell Wilson and Ben Roehlisberger over Johnny Unitas.

Steve Young over Joe Montana! I mean there are about 100 dumb things you can point to here, but Young over Montana? Probably the most obvious one.

Drew Brees has never been better than the #2 best quarterback in the league, and is often below #2, but he’s #2 all-time? Would love to hear that reasoning.
Bingo. It started this season and it's nauseating

I never know where to rank Elway.

Bingo. It started this season and it's nauseating

It started as soon as the mass hysteria of Aaron Rodgers GOATness stopped. And the Brees mass hysteria will die down as soon as there’s someone else to hype up like there’s an actual debate.

Elway:

56.9 career completion percentage
300 TDs
226 INTs

McNabb better than Aikman and Bradshaw? Sorry...gotta strongly disagree there.

No, I meant Rivers is better than Aikman and Bradshaw were. McNabb is not... well, I don't know, there's an argument for Aikman. They were in that same tier, at least. Aikman is wildly overrated because he was a Cowboy and won some rings he had very little to do with.

Thanks, saved me time. And Holy crap what a horrible list. Also, can we stop ranking guys like Otto Graham and Sammy Baugh on these list? It's impossible to compare them to modern day QBs. Even if we tried to it isn't like we have a ton of tape to go back on and the rules and style of the game were so different. I feel like the best thing to do is make the super bowl the cut off and move forward from there for player comparisons.

Last edited:
It's cool that Phil Simms was better than Dan Fouts or Ken Stabler.

No, I meant Rivers is better than Aikman and Bradshaw were.

tumblr_o5tqaa68t91rfd7lko1_400.gif

No, I meant Rivers is better than Aikman and Bradshaw were. McNabb is not... well, I don't know, there's an argument for Aikman. They were in that same tier, at least. Aikman is wildly overrated because he was a Cowboy and won some rings he had very little to do with.
You and I have debated Bradshaw's place in GoAT status before and we won't agree again. Bradshaw's legacy go beyond numbers.

Aikman played very well in the playoffs. That put him above McNabb. Neither Qb was anything to write home about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News