PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Franchise Tags are Coming.. The Franchise tags are coming....

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Here is an article fro Pro Football Network in regards to whom they believe could be franchised this off-season.

I don't think the Bills will use the Franchise tag on either Edmunds or Poyer. The surprise name in their list, imho, is the Seahawks with Geno Smith. Though he had a good season, he's NOT worth 32M/yr. I also don't think that the Jags will franchise Engram when there is so much decent to good talent available for TEs this off-season.

Others on the list make perfect sense. Orlando Brown. Daron Payne.

The one name I'm surprised not the see is OT Mike McGlinchey.

Wasn't Geno top 5 in overall passing performance by most metrics?

Here is an article fro Pro Football Network in regards to whom they believe could be franchised this off-season.

I don't think the Bills will use the Franchise tag on either Edmunds or Poyer. The surprise name in their list, imho, is the Seahawks with Geno Smith. Though he had a good season, he's NOT worth 32M/yr. I also don't think that the Jags will franchise Engram when there is so much decent to good talent available for TEs this off-season.

Yes to World of Payne.

Wasn't Geno top 5 in overall passing performance by most metrics?

Not in Yards or Yards per Attempt. But h was for TDs, Comp %, and Ints. It's just my opinion that he's not worth it. Yes, he's improved his comp % the last two years and is a 62.9% comp percentage on his career, but that doesn't cover the 6 years of mediocrity he had prior.

The one area that Smith regressed in was the number of sacks taken. He was tied for 3rd last year with 46.

Do I think Smith is due a hefty raise? Sure. He played for a 1 yr deal worth 3.5M.. But to jump him to 32M is ridiculous. 18-20M seems about right with incentives that could raise it.

Yes to World of Payne.

I know people want to sign him, but that will be hard if the Commanders Franchise him.

The Commanders parting ways with Wentz frees up 26M in cap space. Which would more than allow them to Franchise Payne.

They can also free up money by getting Montez Sweat signed to an extension. They also have several players where they could push money out to free up more space.

I kind of hope Geno gets payed. Great redemption and he had a lot to overcome. I'd imagine playing for the jets is liken to a near death experience. Seriously, I don't think I'd wish my worst enemy to be drafted by the Jets:evil:.

I kind of hope Geno gets payed. Great redemption and he had a lot to overcome. I'd imagine playing for the jets is liken to a near death experience. Seriously, I don't think I'd wish my worst enemy to be drafted by the Jets:evil:.

if you are geno, what would you accept? 25m? 30? is he worth more than that?

if i were seattle, 4 years, 100 million, 25m signing bonus with escalators for performance/playoff appearances/wins, topping out at 30m a year for the last two years of the deal would be my offer... not sure if thats realistic in terms of qb salaries though...

There’s talk the Giants are going to franchise tag Daniel Jones, which I find pretty funny considering they declined his 5th year option. So that’s about a $10 million blunder for the team - and a $10 million windfall for the player - compared to what they could have had him at.

There’s talk the Giants are going to franchise tag Daniel Jones, which I find pretty funny considering they declined his 5th year option. So that’s about a $10 million blunder for the team - and a $10 million windfall for the player - compared to what they could have had him at.
Blame it on Joe Judge

It is funny that both Geno Smith and Daniel Jones were considered by many or most as guys most likely about to become back up QBs for the rest of their careers before this season to franchise tag candidates now.

It is funny that both Geno Smith and Daniel Jones were considered by many or most as guys most likely about to become back up QBs for the rest of their careers before this season to franchise tag candidates now.
Seems like great leverage for the team to have. Tell the players they can have "long term contracts" as long as the team has a way to get out if they suck. Otherwise they get to play on the franchise tag, so the team will definitely have a way out.

Seems like great leverage for the team to have. Tell the players they can have "long term contracts" as long as the team has a way to get out if they suck. Otherwise they get to play on the franchise tag, so the team will definitely have a way out.
They should both let them walk if they are going to spend that much they should go after one of the other guys.

They still are...they'll just get overpaid temporarily.

Agreed. I recall seeing him play at the end of 2021 and being blown away. People are just sleeping on him because of his Jets history, but he works in that offense (although I think they may have dropped off at the end of the season).

I wouldn't classify it as a real "mistake," especially now that the fifth-year option is fully guaranteed as soon as it is activated. [Prior to the current CBA, it was only guaranteed for injury.] A bet that didn't pay off, sure, but not a mistake.

Does the tag differentiate between LT and RT, or is there a unified "Tackle" number? If so, that might explain McGlinchey. I'm guessing teams don't want to pay a LT money to a RT, even for one year.

Does the tag differentiate between LT and RT, or is there a unified "Tackle" number? If so, that might explain McGlinchey. I'm guessing teams don't want to pay a LT money to a RT, even for one year.

No. The Tag doesn't differentiate at all between any of the O-line positions. Which is good for interior linemen.

Gino Smith will make more money next year ($32.5m) than Tom Brady ever did in any single year his whole career.

Yeah really.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back