PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Franchise Tags are Coming.. The Franchise tags are coming....

There’s talk the Giants are going to franchise tag Daniel Jones, which I find pretty funny considering they declined his 5th year option. So that’s about a $10 million blunder for the team - and a $10 million windfall for the player - compared to what they could have had him at.

Add to the financial insult, there's the risk of not having the tag available for Barkley

There’s talk the Giants are going to franchise tag Daniel Jones, which I find pretty funny considering they declined his 5th year option. So that’s about a $10 million blunder for the team - and a $10 million windfall for the player - compared to what they could have had him at.
My goodness, is someone really gonna pay $35m/yr for Mr. 21-31-1? Not even getting into his other stats.

My goodness, is someone really gonna pay $35m/yr for Mr. 21-31-1? Not even getting into his other stats.

Guessing he's getting mulligans from the (dis)organization on the Shurmur/Judge years. Whether it's merited or not is yet another risk they have to assess.

From nfl.com:

Tagged (All non-exclusive franchise tags)

Saquon Barkley
New York Giants · RB
The Giants placed the non-exclusive franchise tag on Barkley on March 7, NFL Network Insider Mike Garafolo reported on Tuesday. Barkley, who rushed for a career-high 1,312 yards last season with 10 touchdowns, is set to earn $10.091 million on the tag.

Evan Engram
Jacksonville Jaguars · TE
The Jaguars officially placed the non-exclusive franchise tag on Engram on March 6. Engram, who generated a career-high 73 receptions for 766 yards with four touchdowns last season, is set to earn $11.345 million if he plays under the tag.

Lamar Jackson
Baltimore Ravens · QB
The Ravens officially placed the non-exclusive franchise tag on Jackson on March 7. Jackson, who won the league's MVP award in 2019, is set to earn $32.416 million if he plays on the tag in 2023. The non-exclusive nature of the tag means that Jackson is free to negotiate a contract with another team, while the Ravens will have the ability to match any offer sheet or acquire two first-round draft picks in a trade.

Josh Jacobs
Las Vegas Raiders · RB
The Raiders placed their non-exclusive franchise tag on Jacobs on March 6, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported. Jacobs, whose 1,653 rushing yards last season led the NFL, is set to earn $10.091 million on the tag.

Daron Payne
Washington Commanders · DT
The Commanders placed their non-exclusive franchise tag on Payne on Feb. 28. Payne, whom Washington drafted in the first round in 2018, made his first-career Pro Bowl last season after registering a career-best 11.5 sacks. Payne will earn $18.937 million on the tag.

Tony Pollard
Dallas Cowboys · RB
The Cowboys placed their non-exclusive franchise tag on Pollard on March 6. Pollard, who made his first-career Pro Bowl last season after logging 1,378 total yards and 12 touchdowns, is set to earn $10.091 million on the tag.

what would the non exclusive tag cost on jacobi or Jonathan jones?

He is getting 4 years 160 mill.
I would not pay him 10 mill a year. The giants just made themselves irrelevant for the next 4 years.
If this is what a less than average QB costs the next big change in the NFL will be teams winning by playing QBs on rookie contracts and spending 40 mill more on the rest of the team.

I would not pay him 10 mill a year. The giants just made themselves irrelevant for the next 4 years.
If this is what a less than average QB costs the next big change in the NFL will be teams winning by playing QBs on rookie contracts and spending 40 mill more on the rest of the team.
They should draft another QB stat, at least in two years or so they should be able to ship Jones contract out.

He'd make a good backup for some team, especially a team that has a running QB.

That is my philosophy if I am GM if you aren’t getting Herbert, Mahommes or Allen, I am swapping QBs and building around them every 4 years.
It’s the best strategy.
That said if I was the Pats I would trade up to get Levis.
Picking in the first 15 picks is pretty rare to us so I would take the opportunity to leverage a trade and trade Mac to the Raiders to recoup some of the picks.
I think Levis is dropping to say top 5 you can get there with your 1st and a 1st and third next season.

That is my philosophy if I am GM if you aren’t getting Herbert, Mahommes or Allen, I am swapping QBs and building around them every 4 years.
It’s the best strategy.
Picking in the first 15 picks is pretty rare to us so I would take the opportunity to leverage a trade and trade Mac to the Raiders to recoup some of the picks.
I think Levis is dropping to say top 5 you can get there with your 1st and a 1st and third next season.
Herbert hasn’t won anything, Allen came close but hasn’t delivered. Will they win more when they are making 50 mill a year?
Allen’s cap hit was 16 mill last year now it’s 40 and will be 40+ for the next 6 years. They didn’t really come close last year and now are 19 mill over. How do the get better by paying 24 mill more to him and shaving off everyone around him?
The non-qb roster on teams paying QBs top dollars will be far worse than teams going cheaper at qb. Plus buff is paying Diggs another 20 mill, so either you break the bank on the passing game and go cheap everywhere else or yiu pay the qb a ****-ton and watch him whine about weapons, OR you spend your money building a team that beats one dimensional teams.

Last edited:
It’s the best strategy.
You want the Pats to take another QB in the first round... not only that you want to trade up to do it?!

They should draft another QB stat, at least in two years or so they should be able to ship Jones contract out.

He'd make a good backup for some team, especially a team that has a running QB.
No one is taking that contract. He is going fail miserably. Rumor is 82 mill in the first 2 years is guaranteed. They will cut him
after 2 years and eat the dead money in year 3.
Year 4 they start the rebuild with a new coach.

No one is taking that contract. He is going fail miserably. Rumor is 82 mill in the first 2 years is guaranteed. They will cut him
after 2 years and eat the dead money in year 3.
Year 4 they start the rebuild with a new coach.
You can always move a contract once the guaranteed money is gone, hell the Rams moved Goff's ginormous contract and the sure money wasn't gone. They just had to attach every first they owned until 2025 to make it happen.

I think Daniel Jones would make a good backup, he could spot start and can run the ball, maybe he could win a game or two for you by protecting the ball and converting first downs. He's just not a starter.

No, no, no.
Giving up 2 1sts and a 3rd is just as bad as paying 40 mill.

Build a balanced team to surround the QB. Hoard and use your draft picks well. Accumulate extra draft picks in trades, comp picks, having minority coordinators who can get hired and bring you picks, and build around cheap QBs. Like SF is doing. Their mistake was Lance but Purdy became the guy they wanted Lance to be.

You can always move a contract once the guaranteed money is gone, hell the Rams moved Goff's ginormous contract and the sure money wasn't gone. They just had to attach every first they owned until 2025 to make it happen.

I think Daniel Jones would make a good backup, he could spot start and can run the ball, maybe he could win a game or two for you by protecting the ball and converting first downs. He's just not a starter.
You aren’t “moving a contract” if the guarantees are gone, there is nothing to move.
The Rams had to throw in more in order for the lions to let them throw goff in.

You don’t pay 40 mill a year for a backup

You aren’t “moving a contract” if the guarantees are gone, there is nothing to move.
The Rams had to throw in more in order for the lions to let them throw goff in.

You don’t pay 40 mill a year for a backup
If the guarantees are gone you can rip up the contract and start over, rework his deal. Or the Giants can just cut him outright and take the dead cap hit which is what the Raiders did with Carr. it wasn't that nobody wanted Carr, they just didn't want his previous contract.

I'm not arguing with you Jones is good, he isn't, but a reasonably short contract like the one he's signing isn't a long term death sentence. It's dumb in the immediate for sure, but if they draft a developmental QB prospect this season and he's ready next season they could be okay. Jones will either accept being a back up knowing nobody else wants him or get cut.

If the guarantees are gone you can rip up the contract and start over, rework his deal. Or the Giants can just cut him outright and take the dead cap hit which is what the Raiders did with Carr. it wasn't that nobody wanted Carr, they just didn't want his previous contract.

I'm not arguing with you Jones is good, he isn't, but a reasonably short contract like the one he's signing isn't a long term death sentence. It's dumb in the immediate for sure, but if they draft a developmental QB prospect this season and he's ready next season they could be okay. Jones will either accept being a back up knowing nobody else wants him or get cut.
Ripping the contract up and starting over isn’t “moving the contract”. But yes, they could cut him.

It’s a 4 year death sentence. 2 years of paying him stupid money on a team that needs to improve its roster badly, followed by a dead money hit in year 3 then a season of disarray trying to dig out if it in year 4.

Ripping the contract up and starting over isn’t “moving the contract”. But yes, they could cut him.

It’s a 4 year death sentence. 2 years of paying him stupid money on a team that needs to improve its roster badly, followed by a dead money hit in year 3 then a season of disarray trying to dig out if it in year 4.
I'm not going to argue on behalf of Daniel Jones, I think he's average at best and this is a dumb deal.

D Jones was an average starter last season, or near enough. Still not worth what he just signed unless they feel he's got another big leap in him. Big mistake otherwise.

D Jones was an average starter last season, or near enough. Still not worth what he just signed unless they feel he's got another big leap in him. Big mistake otherwise.
In the past he was an elite slot CB but doesn't really excel on the outside. He's also a little older.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back