PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The first trade with the Colts in 32 years...and sour cupcakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

convertedpatsfan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
First Patriots-Colts trade in 32 years highlights thaw in frosty relations

Mike Reiss is on point with today's column. Hits on a few nice nuggets, like the Dwayne Allen trade being the first between the Patriots and Colts in over 3 decades, and how BB has made a trade with every single team during his stint with the Patriots except...the Jets. He also makes fun of the Jets losing out on Hightower. Lots of good stuff.

This is the part of today's column that stood out to me:

10. If there was even a question as to how Belichick’s football passion still burns as he approaches his 65th birthday on April 16, it's how he continues to travel the country working out and watching film with various draft prospects. That showed up Thursday at Vanderbilt, where linebacker Zach Cunningham talked about having a private film session with Belichick before his pro day workout. This past Tuesday, Belichick was at the University of Tennessee and did the same with running back Alvin Kamara, tight end Jason Croom, defensive linemen Derek Barnett and Corey Vereen, linebacker Jaylen Reeves-Maybin and defensive back Cameron Sutton. I don’t believe there is another head coach in the NFL who puts in more one-on-one work with prospects on the scouting trail.

He does more in one day than many coaches do in a week.

Corey Vereen? Any relation?

Reiss mentioned Darius Butler as a former Patriot who is still in the league, being a 2009 draft pick. He should also have mentioned Ted Larsen who just signed a 3 year deal w Miami. He was a 2010 6th rounder by the Pats who couldn't crack the 53 man roster but has stayed in the league as a serviceable offensive lineman for a few teams...

This is the part of today's column that stood out to me:

He does more in one day than many coaches do in a week.

No you are wrong.

The Pats only win because they cheat, even if we can't figure out exactly how they cheat.

All of this stuff about BB and the Pats outworking everyone else is a red herring.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Good to see Reiss back to doing what he does best: providing interesting insight into the Pats based on extensive knowledge of the team and not spreading gossip about Malcolm Butler. Good to have you back, Mike!

Also like Logan Ryan's description of the brotherhood and camaraderie in New England... now that said, to be something like objective, what does he know of anywhere else?

Anyway... wish we could keep all our binkies every year. And I hope that Dola "walks through the door" that NE left open... but if he does so he really has to accept he's not a big name, he's a clutch role-player (in a big way... 3 years, 3 contract reductions, to hear this article tell it).

My guess is he can make more elsewhere. But there's always the thing about the jewelery...

Reiss mentioned Darius Butler as a former Patriot who is still in the league, being a 2009 draft pick. He should also have mentioned Ted Larsen who just signed a 3 year deal w Miami. He was a 2010 6th rounder by the Pats who couldn't crack the 53 man roster but has stayed in the league as a serviceable offensive lineman for a few teams...

I've been so focused on the necessary Brand(o/I/e)n/Malco(l)m balance that I forgot the Butler position. Any Butlers worth looking at in this year's draft?

From what I remember, the team wanted to keep Larsen and hoped to sneak him onto the practice squad as a potential center of the future. Good to see things worked out for him.

Corey Vereen? Any relation?

No, I don't believe so, but he's a nice role player. Undersized rush end, but plays with decent quickness and intensity. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if he were a mid-late round target. He's known for his effort, reliability, and film study. He was overshadowed by Barnett, and he's probably not going to be a superstar, but he's the kind of player who might carve out a role for himself. I like him in the 5th round onward.

NFL Draft Diamonds Prospect Interview: Corey Vereen, DE, University of Tennessee

Those Rutgers guys came with an amazing attitude into Foxboro. Perfect fit.. no wonder all of them got paid and made it to a second contract.
I wonder if there is ever a chance that Schianno ever comes here as a coach, or is he setting himself to be a HC again.

BTW- Where is Schianno coaching now

I wonder if there is ever a chance that Schianno ever comes here as a coach, or is he setting himself to be a HC again.

BTW- Where is Schianno coaching now

Schiano is Defensive Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach to another BB ally, Urban Meyer, at Ohio State.

Schiano is Defensive Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach to another BB ally, Urban Meyer, at Ohio State.
You think he's looking to get back another college HCing job, or take another shot at the NFL at something less than a HC.

He clearly is a really good HC. The fact he made Rutgers into a good program where no one had previously succeeded, and haven't since he left proves that. Plus so many of his players turned out to be really good pros, not so much that they were great athletes, but because they were well coached football players. All his former guys loved him.

He got pretty much hosed in TB, IIRC, in his one shot in the league. Not surprising given the state of the franchise. I wonder what went wrong there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back