PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The first trade with the Colts in 32 years...and sour cupcakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You think he's looking to get back another college HCing job, or take another shot at the NFL at something less than a HC.

He clearly is a really good HC. The fact he made Rutgers into a good program where no one had previously succeeded, and haven't since he left proves that. Plus so many of his players turned out to be really good pros, not so much that they were great athletes, but because they were well coached football players. All his former guys loved him.

He got pretty much hosed in TB, IIRC, in his one shot in the league. Not surprising given the state of the franchise. I wonder what went wrong there?

I was wondering the same thing.

They were 4-12 when he got there, and he goes 7-9 the first year. Then he cleans house, benches Freeman, gets rid of Talib, Doug Martin is hurt/ineffective, and he goes 4-12 again. He gets fired after going 11-21 in his two seasons, and looks like he never got the time to clear out the program and build up what he wanted.

The guy who replaces him, Lovie Smith, goes 8-24 in 2 seasons and also gets fired. Maybe it wasn't the coach. Hmmmm...

You think he's looking to get back another college HCing job, or take another shot at the NFL at something less than a HC.

He clearly is a really good HC. The fact he made Rutgers into a good program where no one had previously succeeded, and haven't since he left proves that. Plus so many of his players turned out to be really good pros, not so much that they were great athletes, but because they were well coached football players. All his former guys loved him.

He got pretty much hosed in TB, IIRC, in his one shot in the league. Not surprising given the state of the franchise. I wonder what went wrong there?
Schiano came in after Rah-Rah Rahim Morris, who was a 'player's coach' to the extreme. The owners wanted a coach that was more hard nosed and some of the player's did not like that. The Tampa media did not like Schiano from day one. Semi-absentee ownership bowed to that public perception and axed him after just two years.

Schiano made the tough decision that Josh Freeman needed to be replaced at QB. Of course when that happens it is not uncommon for a team's success to take a short term dip, but as we saw what happened to Freeman after that it was the right decision. Doug Martin being injured did not help matters. Schiano traded for Darrelle Revis and though Revis played very well that year, that acquisition was second guessed because the Bucs had a poor (4-12) season.

Buc fans and the Tampa media are not particularly football savvy. Tony Dungy was/still is revered even though his Buc teams were so loaded on defense they should have won at least a couple of Superbowls. To this day the overriding sentiment is that Jon Gruden won the SB "with Dungy's team".

Lombardi is championing for him any chance he gets. I think he sees him in the very same light as BB.

I think the way BB has set up the program here in NE it's almost impossible for coaches like Kelly or Schiano to come coach here for 1-2 years. The franchise is built on continuity and usually promotes from within. McDaniels in 2012 was the perfect storm of things happening. BoB leaving after only 3 (?) years with no clear successor in sight + bringing back someone who actually provides that continuity.

I'd love to see "BB friends" to take 1 year advisory roles on the staff to just add a different voice in terms of development and staying ahead of the curve. But that really doesn't help those coaches to rebuilt there value. They need those OC/DC jobs to do so..

Love that part aboht Nick Caserio telling the Colts to get lost when they wanted to interview him to be their GM. And I like Reiss' take on it - that he wouldn't Stab the Pats in the back and go to a hated rival.

Hope he's making $5-10 million a year with this organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back