PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Elephant In The Room - The Situation At Corner

I agree that players rarely leave as an RFA.

My guess is that lots of teams will think him worth a 1st, depending on the price.
We could still match but I'm fine with getting a #1 also. I wouldn't be surprised if Ryan leaves (can't pay everyone) but I'm not too concerned about a worst case of our current CB minus Butler & Ryan plus a draftee this year plus FA next year plus having two #1s (if Butler is gone) next year.

My opinion is Butler will stay, we'll draft a CB this year and have competition for the #2 starter next year.

Fuller and Howard may be available in the 50's and 60's. Will either provide value to us?

If everyone stays healthy and has the season that they had in 2015, then we're fine for 2016, with ZERO starters for 2017. Perhaps, Roberts will be the first player to spend his rookie year on IR, and then become a starter for us, or not.
=================
I think that we don't discuss the situation at corner because there is little answer other than hope. And hope is NOT a plan.

I congratulate Belichick for bringing in Biggers to compete with Coleman for the nickel position. I would also point out that this roster position is a very important one, and perhaps worthy of using resources to upgrade.

If this were a GOOD year for corners, I could see us draft two corners in the first 100, plus bringing in a free agent or two. Of course, a bit of the pressure could be taken off by extending Ryan or Butler.

Malcolm Butler is a restricted free agent for 2017, so one would expect that the Patriots will be able to extend his contract this year as the dust settles following the draft. Butler is drastically underpaid and should be able to work out a good deal this summer.

Logan Ryan is a solid player, and as big a priority as he becomes an UFA at season's end. I expect him to walk, unless the market is not that great for his services.

The Patriots should definitely draft a corner with the upside to play a big role in 2017. I like Sean Davis out of Maryland who has experience at corner and safety.

My binkie CB is a guy named Michael Jordan (Missouri Western.) I think he's the guy who hit the shot to beat Georgetown in the '82 NCAA championship game.

Last edited:
It still blows my mind that Bill or anyone else didn't make a better offer for Brandon Boykin than that which he accepted. Our Slot CB question would've been answered, and for the same price as Biggers.

Not realistic unless we trade up... But Alexander at CB would make me giddy.

Well the corner is... Cyrus Jones. Is this the first time a board binky got drafted by BB?

Shaq Mason got drafted last year. He was a big binky of Manx

He sure was. And I got Jonathan Cooper too who was a huge binky of mine. OL better do well next year :)

He sure was. And I got Jonathan Cooper too who was a huge binky of mine. OL better do well next year :)

Where we projecting Thuney Manx? He was successful at both T and G...

I'm not sure. Probably swing backup this year, maybe RT of the future. @patchick and @captain stone have suggested moving Mason to OC, and I quite like the idea of an interior OL of Thuney-Mason-Cooper. Would be super athletic.

Makes you wonder if the rule chance regard cut blocking have something to do with this. Those big fat power guards getting problems, ie Jackson. Stork had 3 or 4 concussions already "as we know of" and is he 1 hit away from calling it?

Well the corner is... Cyrus Jones. Is this the first time a board binky got drafted by BB?

Not my binky. He's a 4th-round talent because of his height/reach disabilities, who in typical Belichick
fashion was drafted 2 rounds too soon.

Not my binky. He's a 4th-round talent because of his height/reach disabilities, who in typical Belichick
fashion was drafted 2 rounds too soon.
I like Cyrus Jones but the second seems high, although I'm betting they just didn't think they would be able to get him in the third round

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back