PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way I look at it, after the Pats SIXTH Super Bowl win, If Belichick wanted Little at #32, I'd be fine with it. I'm fine with whoever Belichick picks, from now until he retires.

There's a difference between OUR preferences and what Belichick feels is right for the team. I ALWAYS love the #32 draft slot. So whoever he picks, it's a bonus IMO.

Little would fit a need, though I'm not sure he's ever played LT. Tackle depth is kinda light on the Pats at this moment. Wynn is coming off of an achilles, not sure if he can win the LT position right away. So Little could wind up a Patriot.

If there’s a quality tackle available at 32 I’d concur with having no problems at all. Good value and added insurance for Wynn and Cannon. OL needs to be a strength in bradys last years.

If there’s a quality tackle available at 32 I’d concur with having no problems at all. Good value and added insurance for Wynn and Cannon. OL needs to be a strength in bradys last years.
He needs weapons as well. OL can be terrific but if no WRs get open it won't matter

He needs weapons as well. OL can be terrific but if no WRs get open it won't matter

We have 12 picks at the moment. We will get brady some weapons at wr and TE. Does it matter if we get them on day 2 compared to day 1 of the draft? Especially if the 2 Iowa boys and metcalf, brown are off the board by that point?

We have 12 picks at the moment. We will get brady some weapons at wr and TE. Does it matter if we get them on day 2 compared to day 1 of the draft? Especially if the 2 Iowa boys and metcalf, brown are off the board by that point?
If your scenario plays out, and I definitely think it will, I could see him either adding a DT or OT, or possibly even trading the pick into next year.

Imagine having 2 seconds and 4 thirds (adding a third) to go along with 2 firsts in 2020. Personally, I kind of think that’s the way to go. Find someone that wants to get back into the first round at #32 and take their third this year + 2020 first rounder.

If your scenario plays out, and I definitely think it will, I could see him either adding a DT or OT, or possibly even trading the pick into next year.

Imagine having 2 seconds and 4 thirds (adding a third) to go along with 2 firsts in 2020. Personally, I kind of think that’s the way to go. Find someone that wants to get back into the first round at #32 and take their third this year + 2020 first rounder.
I agree ... I would like to get back to having 2 1st round picks every year until we need to replace Brady. Having 2 every year reduces the need to reach out of desperation when the time comes. For me this year is about replacing Hoyer ... he's all done. I think we need a competent backup more than finding Brady's replacement this year.

For me this year is about replacing Hoyer ... he's all done. I think we need a competent backup more than finding Brady's replacement this year.
It’s hard for me to imagine someone coming in and winning the backup job from Hoyer, this year. The cap savings is small (1.49m), and unless it’s somehow Danny Etling, I think it would be hard to see someone learning the system well enough to replace a longtime vet who knows the offense inside and out.

At least with Hoyer, you can run the whole playbook, or something close to it, and hope that he goes 2-2 in a 4 game stretch (God forbid). With another backup, my concern is that we’d see the Jacoby Brissett Foxborough High double wingback look, with 65 rushing attempts and 10 safe passes.

It’s hard for me to imagine someone coming in and winning the backup job from Hoyer, this year. The cap savings is small (1.49m), and unless it’s somehow Danny Etling, I think it would be hard to see someone learning the system well enough to replace a longtime vet who knows the offense inside and out.

At least with Hoyer, you can run the whole playbook, or something close to it, and hope that he goes 2-2 in a 4 game stretch (God forbid). With another backup, my concern is that we’d see the Jacoby Brissett Foxborough High double wingback look, with 65 rushing attempts and 10 safe passes.

All these conversations about a back up and possible heir are based on not really knowing how well Danny Ettling is progressing, last year he threw something like 50 passes in three pre-season games then did a great job holding the clipboard.. we will know more during TC..

Stay tuned Patsfans, more to follow..

All these conversations about a back up and possible heir are based on not really knowing how well Danny Ettling is progressing, last year he threw something like 50 passes in three pre-season games then did a great job holding the clipboard.. we will know more during TC..

Stay tuned Patsfans, more to follow..
You can’t possibly think Ettling is our future at QB...

Well then here's to hoping it's Etling ...
I doubt Hoyer can throw the playbook unless he becomes Popeye.

Not really sure why he didnt just go for the workout. What is there to lose at this point even if other teams have guaranteed that the will pick you ?

You can’t possibly think Ettling is our future at QB...
While I agree with your premise, I suspect many fans were saying the same thing about Brady...

While I agree with your premise, I suspect many fans were saying the same thing about Brady...

Brady actually looked really good in preseason his first year here, which is why nobody was that surprised when they kept 4 QBs

Not really sure why he didnt just go for the workout. What is there to lose at this point even if other teams have guaranteed that the will pick you ?

Besides getting hurt?

I think Hoyer stays as the backup for the simple fact that he’s been in the offense for years, and they’re comfortable with him and know his limitations. Bringing in a rookie to backup Tom doesn’t seem like something Bill would do, at this point.

I’m certain they’ll take a QB at some point.but he’ll be the third guy.

Besides getting hurt?

Most of the prospects already are insured against loss of value. Thats no reason.

There is a better chance to get hurt on the streets or climbing stairs than at a QB workout as part of a draft visit.

This is not the combine he would not do any major workouts. Like 60% of those visits is sitting in a room talking to various people in the org. The rest is throwing a couple balls.

Suggesting to sit out for injury risk is absolutely ridiculous.

Most of the prospects already are insured against loss of value. Thats no reason.

There is a better chance to get hurt on the streets or climbing stairs than at a QB workout as part of a draft visit.

This is not the combine he would not do any major workouts. Like 60% of those visits is sitting in a room talking to various people in the org. The rest is throwing a couple balls.

Suggesting to sit out for injury risk is absolutely ridiculous.

You don’t know what kind of workout the Redskins would put him through. Even Bill and Caserio have guys who visit go through some drills, which might not be combine level, but do carry the risk of injury. There is very little to gain by working out for a team that will not draft you. There’s always the risk of tweaking something.

You don’t know what kind of workout the Redskins would put him through. Even Bill and Caserio have guys who visit go through some drills, which might not be combine level, but do carry the risk of injury. There is very little to gain by working out for a team that will not draft you.

There is little to lose and a lot to gain.

Unless the Cardinals already gave him a contract there is no reason to believe that anyone telling you they will sign you actually follows through. Trades can happen at any point and suddenly you lose a couple of millions just because you drop a handful spots by refusing to throw a couple balls out for some teams.

There is little to lose and a lot to gain.

Unless the Cardinals already gave him a contract there is no reason to believe that anyone telling you they will sign you actually follows through. Trades can happen at any point and suddenly you lose a couple of millions just because you drop a handful spots by refusing to throw a couple balls out for some teams.

This article speculates that Murray isn’t visiting the Redskins as a firm indication to other teams that he is a top pick. This is a way of telling teams like the Redskins, “if you want me, trade up for me.” So maybe not injury concerns here, but worry that if a team like the Redskins have a workout with him then he is no longer being viewed as a top 5 pick.

2019 NFL Draft Rumors: Buzz building on Kyler Murray not going No. 1, QB cancels Redskins visit

Last edited:
Worth noting that neither Baker nor Darnold would meet with certain teams depending on their draft slots last year. It's fairly standard practice if you're a high draft pick.

I've been here since last year. We could easily trade back up & still have a 2nd & at least 1 3rd depending on how far we want to go. Very little difference between picks 20 & our 2nd rd spots imo.

We'll still be loaded this year & next year.

Example for this year.
I see tons of posters wanting AJ Brown & Dex. I like both but both are low ceiling, not one dimensional but not the most versatile prospects. Not the guys I'm running to the podium for in the 1st.

Counter point bc I'm crazy. Bill knows & likes exactly what hes getting from both. No surprises. Big slot in AJ & 2 down stuffer w Dex. I see the same arguement for Irv Smith & a few others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back