PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Center Position

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our next four top picks in the next two drafts should be OG/OC/DT/DT but we all know it's rare that we pick for straight need...

Our next four top picks in the next two drafts should be OG/OC/DT/DT but we all know it's rare that we pick for straight need...

Yeah, the trenches are obviously in need of some good, young value draft picks.

I don't think it needs to shake out exactly how you'd peg it however. There will be other positions that have good players that we'll need to target too, but either way--we will need to spend some draft picks in the trenches over the next couple of drafts at some point.

Hopefully there will be a top 2-3 pick on both sides of the ball by 2015, but there also always seems to be an under the radar guy who rises to the top from the later rounds/UDFA range.

When the Pats do not have the screen game as a consistent option, an immobile quarterback or an outside running threat... the interior line becomes vulnerable.

Seems as though the D line can just focus on rushing and not much on containing... as time goes on and these guys continue their lessons at the Scarnecchia school of Offensive Lineman and the offense opens up, things may get better...

I think we're all in agreement that at least one, if not two OL (interior) need to be taken at some point throughout the upcoming draft in the spring.

Possibly a high pick, and an additional pick later on in the draft; or another possible "double pick" situation in the higher rounds.

I believe that the team needs some more flexibility with the situations of both Wendell and Connelly, not to mention talent, youth, and depth.

Yes, but the more expensive FA decisions have to be made before the draft.

We agree on Wendell.

Also, I have been calling for drafting a top OG for years.

With regard to waiving folks, we need to focus on new money money, not cap. Personally, I think that Connolly is worth $3M as a backup next year as we groom his rookie replacement.

I agree with you on both statements, I think Connolly would be an ideal backup since he capable of playing all interior lineman and I think we should make drafting a guard a top draft priority. I am not sure what Cannon's future is or what position he ends up at, right now I question if he will ever become more than a top backup, that said I do have high hopes that over the remainder of 2013 he can develop into a starting caliber right guard but we shall see.

Agreed, I'd add to that by saying if Talib leaves after the season by way of free agency cornerback becomes a burning need as well, my thought or should I say hope was that Talib could bridge the gap to allow Dowling an opportunity to develop into a #1 cornerback, that obviously is not going to happen and I don't personally project Logan Ryan as a #1 cornerback long term so that leaves us with Dennard at left cornerback and yes he can play there but I certainly don't think it is ideal.

On a different note a mistake I feel we've made over the years is not investing more heavily in the interior defensive lineman position, outside of Brace who unfortunately did not pan out we've have not invested a draft pick in the first 5 rounds of the draft since Wilfork, considering how heavily we rely on Wilfork that always seems to be playing with fire. In 20/20 hindsight I would have loved for us to stand pack at 28 in 2011 and drafted Muhammad Wilkerson and then used the 33rd selection as the trade asset to pickup the 2012 first rounder. Now obviously 20/20 hindsight always sounds good and I am ignoring that trading the 33rd overall pick to the Saints wouldn't have netted the same return but my primary point is that having younger defensive tackle onboard over the last few season like Wilkerson would have done a lot for us and it would have made me a lot more comfortable with the post Wilfork era.

One major issue is that Connolly is a reasonable starter at center. Thomas was a fine guard.

Thomas would be no better than the 7th best OL on this team.
Somehow last year when he stopped being brutal and raised his game to mediocre people took that as he was good.

Still need a safety....

I agree that Thomas wold have been our #7 OL.

I'm greedy. I wanted to have a starting quality backup OT (Cannon) and a backup starting quality OG (Thomas) as we had last year.

If one really believes that Cannon is primarily a guard, then Svitek does indeed replace Thomas. I tend to believe what I see. Cannon has produced well as an OT. However, I celebrated that addition of Svitek.

Thomas being here would have provided more flexibility as we project forward. After all, we will be negotiating with Wendell and Connolly over the next year or so.

Thomas would be no better than the 7th best OL on this team.
Somehow last year when he stopped being brutal and raised his game to mediocre people took that as he was good.

After the performance that Wendell provided last season I think it is premature to make a statement that he is not a starting caliber center, he certainly was last season and his drop in play has not been any more dramatic than most of are linemen as they have been forced to hold blocks a lot longer this season.

Because of the performance that Wendell provided last season, the statement can indeed
be made that he is not a starting-caliber Center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes