PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Boston Sports Media Sucks

“On a day when they could have had impact players David Terrell or Koren Robinson or the second-best tackle in the draft in Kenyatta Walker, they took Georgia defensive tackle Richard Seymour, who had 1 sacks last season in the pass-happy SEC and is too tall to play tackle at 6-6 and too slow to play defensive end. This genius move was followed by trading out of a spot where they could have gotten the last decent receiver in Robert Ferguson and settled for tackle Matt Light, who will not help any time soon.”

:D:D:D

2 Patriot Hall of Fame players. Wrong Borges, Tomase, these hacks need to go.

“On a day when they could have had impact players David Terrell or Koren Robinson or the second-best tackle in the draft in Kenyatta Walker, they took Georgia defensive tackle Richard Seymour, who had 1 sacks last season in the pass-happy SEC and is too tall to play tackle at 6-6 and too slow to play defensive end. This genius move was followed by trading out of a spot where they could have gotten the last decent receiver in Robert Ferguson and settled for tackle Matt Light, who will not help any time soon.”

Well...you can't win them all

Another great one was from Shank Shaughnessy in the late 90s. The Pats lost to the Steelers 7-6 and Vrabel stripped Bledsoe of the ball to seal a playoff win. Shank wrote the next day that it would go down in Boston sports history as comparable to Buckner's error in the 86 World Series
Shank always gotta get in a balls 'n sticks reference even when writing about football, a sport about which he knows very, very little - then and now.

Really, he should be forced to wear one of those sandwich board signs with this quote on it for the rest of his life.

Last edited:
I was reminded, if Wrong Borges is still a NFL HOF voter that's a total conflict of interest and helps explain why so few Pats have made it into the HOF.

Agreed. The media is so toxic. Purposely so negative just to get fans riled up for ratings and for talk radio. Also as you note, not the most friendly place for minority ballplayers whether it be baseball or basketball or whatever. Even seeing the reaction to Cam Newton here is super interesting. The tolerance level is different. I think it's odd a guy can pass for 365 yards at 65% completion with no picks, and people complain about 2 batted balls.

4 batted balls.

Well, it's been proven that when the Pats run, they win.

We passed well with Tony Eason and Drew Bledsoe, but lost - especially the big games.

Josh - and most other people - is enamored with the passing game.

We can all learn something from the late great Vince Lombardi.

Yeah, lets just keep mindlessly running into stacked boxes and safeties blitzing gaps instead of taking advantage of more space in the passing game. Especially when the passing game is actually working well like it did against the Texans.

Another great one was from Shank Shaughnessy in the late 90s. The Pats lost to the Steelers 7-6 and Vrabel stripped Bledsoe of the ball to seal a playoff win. Shank wrote the next day that it would go down in Boston sports history as comparable to Buckner's error in the 86 World Series

Skank might be my least favorite scribbler in Boston. He has a lot of company, though: Breer, Tomase, Borges, Volin . . . :yuck:

Well, let's make a few distinctions. Some in the media are awful. There's an unfortunate tradition here that if a sports commentator is an angry jerk (Felger, Hart, et al), he's a "hard-hitting" "sports journalist" who dismisses the soft emotionalism of fanboys. A circlejerk of such "journalists" will then cry up this perverse view at every opportunity. We see a similar situation on boards like this in the form of ridiculous, posturing hardassery and pointless pi$$--g contests. I suppose these traders in childish machismo regard themselves as aspiring journalists.

As for the Pats, yep, they blow. Ditto for Cam. If you aspire each year to a .500 record, by all means keep him around.

Last edited:
It's a Tehhhhhd Nation. LOL. I like Sarandis

They are on pace to have their worst season since 2001.

The team they lost to walked into the game 2-6. The two wins they had was to the 1-9 Jaguars who might not win another game this year. The Texans are bottom feeders and it takes an exceptional amount of spin to prop them up to make the loss not so bad. Yeah it’s an awful loss. Several weeks ago this game was considered the closest thing to an auto win on our schedule outside the Jets games. Speaking of the Jets, they are one of the worst teams in NFL history right now and we nearly lost to them and needed a last second score to win. Again, it was an awful loss.

As far as normal this is the result of at least 6 years of mediocre drafts and the team has been trending down since 2018 (yes we won a SB, but we had probably one of our weakest regular seasons going into the playoffs and many pegged us for dead until we got extremely hot and played well above what we had shown). Then 2019 was more of the same only this time we didn’t turn it on, then this year the bottom fell out. And honestly a big part of that is the QB position which the prospects of finding one this offseason don’t look too great. So yeah this is probably a more than one year thing. Also normal is relative. Last Sunday was normal for this season. You are getting too semantic with wording.

The headline isn’t a problem. Some of us accepted the reality of this a long time ago. It wasn’t that hard to see.
Even if that happens... this isn't "rock bottom". Not even in the vicinity. Anyone who really thinks this is rock bottom was probably not a Patriots fan before Bledsoe and Parcells got here. Before that - now that was rock bottom.

Also there is no guarantee at all that things would be much better if Brady had stayed here. In fact from what I can see I'm leaning toward the Patriots still missing the playoffs if he was here.

Last edited:
Yeah, lets just keep mindlessly running into stacked boxes and safeties blitzing gaps instead of taking advantage of more space in the passing game. Especially when the passing game is actually working well like it did against the Texans.
Sorry, just interested in winning the game.

All those three and outs put our defense on the field more to be torched by Watson.

I was reminded, if Wrong Borges is still a NFL HOF voter that's a total conflict of interest and helps explain why so few Pats have made it into the HOF.

Bogus doesn't really hate the players; he just hates Belichick, same as the other local writers at the time such as Kevin Mannix & Ron Hobson...

Bogus doesn't really hate the players; he just hates Belichick, same as the other local writers at the time such as Kevin Mannix & Ron Hobson...
Yeah, there are still writers around (and a crop of younger ones who learned at their knees) who pretty much unanimously panned the BB hiring in 2000 a la Borges. What he's done in the 20 years since is grinding away at them, which is why it's so easy to hear 'How long will Mr. Kraft put up with this awful performance??' all over the place on the radio.

It's weird.

Ron was the target of that lame plagiarism thing so he should have some empathy or even camaraderie, but instead he just hates.

I always loved his writing style and he's written some brilliant pieces; the Buster Douglas fight in Tokyo comes to mind.

I'll always appreciate how he got Andre deservedly into the PFHOF; I just wish he'd do the same for Houston Antwine.

Even if that happens... this isn't "rock bottom". Not even in the vicinity. Anyone who really thinks this is rock bottom was probably not a Patriots fan before Bledsoe and Parcells got here. Before that - now that was rock bottom.

Also there is no guarantee at all that things would be much better if Brady had stayed here. In fact from what I can see I'm leaning toward the Patriots still missing the playoffs if he was here.
Tom wanted out and we're very fortunate he stuck around a couple more years.

'Rock bottom' somehow makes me think of rock n' roll:p, but anyway the '70, '72, '81 and '90 seasons were in the ball park.

I'll always think of Dreith and Tatum as the nadir, ironically when we had some of our best years.

This year? I really like this team. Until we lost in Houston and lost Rex, I felt really good. Now, we realistically can't afford another loss. It doesn't look likely for us to make it to Tampa.

But there is tremendous potential for next year. For a whole host of reasons.

Sorry, just interested in winning the game.

All those three and outs put our defense on the field more to be torched by Watson.

There were 2 three and outs in the entire game and one of them was because we decided to run the ball, got stopped behind the LOS and then also got a 10 yard holding penalty on top. Then two passes brought us back into 3rd & 1 only for another run -- the one where Burkhead got injured -- to be stopped again behind the LOS.

The second third and out started with an incomplete pass but then went nowhere because the running game gained 3 full yards on the next two attempts.

If you were interested in winning you would have no problem with passing in a game where the opponent successfully tried to take away the run while our passing game works perfectly fine.

Eagles late in 2018 beat the Texans in overtime and gave the Pats the inside track to a bye.

Trollin:

Yeah sure Pats players said "Foles does it again". Whatever you say Trollin. :D

All the top stories today on the Boston sites are Brady/Tampa. Seems they would rather cover the GOAT than our own team. I don't blame them.

It's weird.

Ron was the target of that lame plagiarism thing so he should have some empathy or even camaraderie, but instead he just hates.

I always loved his writing style and he's written some brilliant pieces; the Buster Douglas fight in Tokyo comes to mind.

I'll always appreciate how he got Andre deservedly into the PFHOF; I just wish he'd do the same for Houston Antwine.
Yeah I remember the story he wrote about that fight...It was Pulitzer-nomination-worthy, and that ain't no sh!t...Too bad he's lost all objectivity because of his emotions...

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back