PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Binkie Thread

Very nice list,

My question is ...Is engram a tight end? Or is he Vincent Jackson 2.0.

He can a large fast wr, that eats up lb and safety coverage. A true match up nightmare. Bb loves these type guys.

He can not block a lick and shows no desire in that department.

I have to disagree with the not being able to or not willing to block statement. There are numerous amount of clips where hes doing a very good job of blocking his man and opening up running lanes. Your not going to mistake him for gronkowski out there but he most definitely is someone you can count on to be competitive when called upon.

He's Aaron Hernandez/Jordan Reed.

And you couldn't be more wrong about his blocking. Classic stalk blocker. Actually better inline vs space. Plenty of clips and games to back it up like FSU, A&M and years of tape.

He has work to do but hes a good blocker.

Been my binky for 2 years

I like Engram, but I have doubts that he'll still be on the board at #72. If he isn't, Kittle, who seems to be a great blocker, could be had later. Jonnu Smith's measureables are nearly identical to AH's (maybe better), but I have no idea about his blocking (not that AH was a superior blocker, at least initially). Smith could also be available much later.

True binkies are few and far between. They are the transcendent, irrational obsessions; they aren't necessarily the best players or the ones with the most potential, but they're the ones who inspire sadness/anger/despair when they're drafted by another team. I'll list a few players who qualify for binkie status this year, but as we get closer to the draft, I'll also post a big board of players I like in a new thread. I should also mention that Patriots-type players do not always overlap with "my guys." It's helpful to remember that we look at the draft on at least two levels: as Patriots fans, and as football fans/draftniks. The Patriots are mavericks, and we're not really privy to their thought-process, so we can only guess at the methods to their madness.

All my rambling aside, here are my binkies, not my highest graded players:

Haason Reddick
Gareon Conley
Chris Godwin
Jordan Evans
DeMarcus Walker
Wayne Gallman
Rayshawn Jenkins
Eddie Jackson
George Kittle
Ifeadi Odenigbo

Blair Brown, LB, Ohio

Don't know where he will be drafted but i just loved watching this video.
Not a bad combine either.

Blair Brown, LB, Ohio

Don't know where he will be drafted but i just loved watching this video.
Not a bad combine either.

Excellent tackler and very good athlete. A more athletic Elandon Roberts. Question is, is that worth a draft pick? Day three, I wouldn't object but I think there are more important needs than replacing Roberts with v2.0. Still, he's a good prospect.

True binkies are few and far between. They are the transcendent, irrational obsessions; they aren't necessarily the best players or the ones with the most potential, but they're the ones who inspire sadness/anger/despair when they're drafted by another team. I'll list a few players who qualify for binkie status this year, but as we get closer to the draft, I'll also post a big board of players I like in a new thread. I should also mention that Patriots-type players do not always overlap with "my guys." It's helpful to remember that we look at the draft on at least two levels: as Patriots fans, and as football fans/draftniks. The Patriots are mavericks, and we're not really privy to their thought-process, so we can only guess at the methods to their madness.

All my rambling aside, here are my binkies, not my highest graded players:

Haason Reddick
Gareon Conley
Chris Godwin
Jordan Evans
DeMarcus Walker
Wayne Gallman
Rayshawn Jenkins
Eddie Jackson
George Kittle
Ifeadi Odenigbo

You absolutely sold me on the first two and the last two. Just a thought, if we do get The 11 pick for Butler, Reddick could be in play.

So here's a question. If we're picking at 11 and Reddick and Reuben Foster are still available, who do you pick. Foster is the more complete day one linebacker but Reddick offers more variety, possibly has higher upside and doesn't have the character/injury concerns Foster has. I think I lean towards the ascendant guy rather than the faller which Foster would be if he was there at 11.

You absolutely sold me on the first two and the last two. Just a thought, if we do get The 11 pick for Butler, Reddick could be in play.

So here's a question. If we're picking at 11 and Reddick and Reuben Foster are still available, who do you pick. Foster is the more complete day one linebacker but Reddick offers more variety, possibly has higher upside and doesn't have the character/injury concerns Foster has. I think I lean towards the ascendant guy rather than the faller which Foster would be if he was there at 11.

Im with you that if we somehow get the 11th pick from the saints we could definitely be in play for reddick or an upper tier cb( i was hoping solomon thomas would be available but its looking like hes top 5). But im hoping we could trade back a little and maybe pick up a third or something like that and still be able to get reddick. With the few 3rd rounders we have im hoping for jourdan lewis and my ultimate binky evan engram to be available to us.

Foster was the closest to binkie status before Combine outburst.
I wouldn't take any single player at #11. Maybe Adams or Thomas if they'd fall.
Willis + McMillan f.e. > Reddick / Foster in my book.
I don't think #11 is a reality though.

Last edited:

If it's Reddick I think you have to think about trading back for Bowser and another pick?

If it's Reddick I think you have to think about trading back for Bowser and another pick?

Given their market values, I have to agree. I'm the biggest Reddick fan around, but the value of bringing in a couple good-to-very-good players will probably outweigh the impact of a single very-good-to-great player.

Given their market values, I have to agree. I'm the biggest Reddick fan around, but the value of bringing in a couple good-to-very-good players will probably outweigh the impact of a single very-good-to-great player.

I'm fine with Bowser +1 but Reddick offers a lot of versatility and I have a preference for prospects that ace the process. He aced his senior season and the draft process. Tells me that he might ace the next step too.

I'm fine with Bowser +1 but Reddick offers a lot of versatility and I have a preference for prospects that ace the process. He aced his senior season and the draft process. Tells me that he might ace the next step too.

. . . you're making me waver. I can't keep hope alive like this. :p

So far dt Montravius Adams from Auburn has jumped out and claimed a binkie spot. Along with og Dan Freeney and McCaffrey.

That's the thing about binkies, it's not something you can be talked out of or in to. It just happens.

I personally think reddick is pretty overblown a prospect, with some issues, but binkies are immune to such criticisms.

Tell me about all of Kpassagnons questions, I dare you.

Tarell Basham & Ryan Switzer have emerged from my group as the closest players to true "binkies." I'm convinced both are high floor/great intangible players that will have long successful careers.

Switzer's stuff vs. Pitt & FSU did it for me. This guy is not a possession slot WR. He's an explosive slot WR (His 40/3 cone/20 yard shuttle times back that up). His catch radius for a 5'8 guy is awesome. Honestly the only WR from rds 2-7 that has really "wow"ed me:

Shame because we absolutely do not need a WR. A trio of Cooks/Mitchell/Switzer down the road would be sweet though.

Not quite Jimmy G/Toby Gerhart binky level but he's trying his hardest. :D

Tarell Basham & Ryan Switzer have emerged from my group as the closest players to true "binkies." I'm convinced both are high floor/great intangible players that will have long successful careers.

Switzer's stuff vs. Pitt & FSU did it for me. This guy is not a possession slot WR. He's an explosive slot WR (His 40/3 cone/20 yard shuttle times back that up). His catch radius for a 5'8 guy is awesome. Honestly the only WR from rds 2-7 that has really "wow"ed me:

Shame because we absolutely do not need a WR. A trio of Cooks/Mitchell/Switzer down the road would be sweet though.

Not quite Jimmy G/Toby Gerhart binky level but he's trying his hardest. :D

Sign me up on Basham and Switzer.

This might not alleviate your passion for Switzer.

IMG_0114.JPG

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back