PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Added Danger (??) of Operating with only One QB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumby

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
i don't want to repeat / go down the road of the other two Garropolo injury thread / add a vet QB thread, but did have a thought that I thought would be interesting to discuss:

Q: If Patriots do go into the next game (or even next two games) with only Brisket and then Edeldude to backup, does it make Brisket more susceptible to headhunting by the other team?

I posit that it does!
- if the other team thinks there is nothing there behind the starter, I am pretty sure there are one or two guys around the league who would think almost nothing about taking one cheapshot and paying 30k to get a "guaranteed " win against the dreaded patriots.

-Also, we have already seen that in the gotohell-run nyjfl, officials will be given 'points of emphasis' that are tailored to specific teams (panthers v donks , Patriots vs everybody, Seahawks vs squealers, squealers vs pay-me-a-ton ). And the natural evolution of that was evident when the players from the favored team figured out they can get away with ****, . . .they push the envelope. Go head hunting for cam, etc

So, IMO I think there some added 'health' benefit ( opponents less likely to take cheapshots) to having A qb2 on the gameday roster (whether that be a hurting JAG, an off the street vet, or even a PS level udfa).

Thoughts?

Hey man, why not live on the danger side for a bit? It's a great high! o_O

Realistically if Jimmy can't play as backup, and Jacoby goes down, the game is pretty much a loss anyhow. Not many situations where some random backup QB off the street with little or no clue about the Pats system is going to make any difference one way or another compared with an emergency QB (like AJ Derby).

So save the roster spot and hope Jacoby can survive.

I would think that the delta between Tom Brady (or Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, etc.) and his backup is comparable to the delta between a rookie third stringer on a short week and Edelman. The opposing defense may have as much or more trouble adjusting as the offense does in that scenario.

More importantly though, if it is the coaching strategy and game plan to task a player to injure an opponent in order to better the chances to win a game, then a team with an elite quarterback is more in danger when they have their starter on the field than when they have a backup there.

With three days to get a guy ready, there isn't time for a backup off the street. It is what it is and the fact this game is an assumed loss probably takes a lot of pressure off Jacoby.

i don't want to repeat / go down the road of the other two Garropolo injury thread / add a vet QB thread, but did have a thought that I thought would be interesting to discuss:

Q: If Patriots do go into the next game (or even next two games) with only Brisket and then Edeldude to backup, does it make Brisket more susceptible to headhunting by the other team?

I posit that it does!
- if the other team thinks there is nothing there behind the starter, I am pretty sure there are one or two guys around the league who would think almost nothing about taking one cheapshot and paying 30k to get a "guaranteed " win against the dreaded patriots.

-Also, we have already seen that in the gotohell-run nyjfl, officials will be given 'points of emphasis' that are tailored to specific teams (panthers v donks , Patriots vs everybody, Seahawks vs squealers, squealers vs pay-me-a-ton ). And the natural evolution of that was evident when the players from the favored team figured out they can get away with ****, . . .they push the envelope. Go head hunting for cam, etc

So, IMO I think there some added 'health' benefit ( opponents less likely to take cheapshots) to having A qb2 on the gameday roster (whether that be a hurting JAG, an off the street vet, or even a PS level udfa).

Thoughts?

Well then .... the pats take a 15 yarder by drilling the opposing QBs and breaking their backs......it's an appropriate response

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back