PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2020 Super Bowl pregame thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let Brady get another, then in 2024 or so, let Belichick get another

/legacies maintained
That's doubtful as the media and "fanz" will all say that Brady won it before BB....

Weather.com says thunderstorms developing late. I wonder how late? If there's lightning they will have to pause until it passes

Tom has a 50/50 chance basically of winning a Super Bowl. Maybe more if you think they return within the next couple years. BB probably is way less than a 50% chance of getting another one although it's certainly not impossible.

The “X” factor for the Chiefs is Spags. No one ever fooled Brady more than he did in SB 42. Can he dial up enough schemes to disrupt another high-flying offense?

The “X” factor for the Chiefs is Spags. No one ever fooled Brady more than he did in SB 42. Can he dial up enough schemes to disrupt another high-flying offense?
Yup. I hate that fing guy. And there he is again!

Any time a front 4 can get that kind of pressure, any defensive coordinator is a genius. We have two outlier games, SB42 because of that d-line, and 2019 because the Patriots couldn’t score against anyone.

Brady vs. Spagnuolo
2007 - Patriots 38, Giants 35
2008 - Giants 17, Patriots 14
2015 - Patriots 27, Giants 26
2019 - Chiefs 23, Patriots 16

Spags is a good coach and clearly he isn’t a guy whose going to come up with an easy scheme to exploit. He’ll get great use of his players. But are the Chiefs players good enough to constantly disrupt Brady leading to confusion?

Good read on Chiefs. Have seen similar stories on Pats in the past for interesting comparison.

Key to team building.
Step 1: Draft a guy like Mahomes.
Step 2: Draft super elite guys like Hill and Kelce.
Step 3: Pay to keep/get top end defensive players while your QB's cap hit is still low.

I hate these kinds of stories. Not that these guys are not good at their job. But in the end it is the about having the players. They invested heavily to get Frank Clark, Tyrann Mathieu and Watkins to be there. Which they could only afford cause they never had to pay a QB during all that time. They rightly never over paid for a guy like Smith.

All they did was not over pay for a crap QB and got lucky enough to hit big on some draft picks, particularly one of those QBs that come along once every 20 years or so, like Montana and Brady. If you want to give anyone credit it goes entirely to their scouting department. Add in that they happened to land one of the better HCs in the NFL for good measure.

But while all of that is nice, no one right now would be talking about them like this is they didn't draft Mahomes. Not that they had a bad program before him, but they were one of those easy out teams in the AFC playoffs. 2015 - They beat the hapless Texans then lose to the Pats in a game that in no way was as close as the 30-27 score says. 2016 - Lose in the Divisional round to he Steelers with home field after a bye. One of the least scary 2nd seed teams in recent memory. 2017 - Lost to the Titans in the WC. Good enough to make the playoffs, but never a team in serious contention. This is what they were before getting Mahomes. If they had ended up with Trubisky instead of Mahomes or Watsons that draft, there would be no articles talking about their team building ability or how smart they are.

Yes, you are having a good run drafting guys overall but you had a better run 4-8 years ago then you have the last 1-3. And maybe, just maybe, luck played a role in that. If not, they why haven't they drafted any guys the level of Hill, Kelce, Jones or Mahomes since 2017?

Last edited:
Key to team building.
Step 1: Draft a guy like Mahomes.
Step 2: Draft super elite guys like Hill and Kelce.
Step 3: Pay to keep/get top end defensive players while your QB's cap hit is still low.

I hate these kinds of stories. Not that these guys are not good at their job. But in the end it is the about having the players. They invested heavily to get Frank Clark, Tyrann Mathieu and Watkins to be there. Which they could only afford cause they never had to pay a QB during all that time. They rightly never over paid for a guy like Smith.

All they did was not over pay for a crap QB and got lucky enough to hit big on some draft picks, particularly one of those QBs that come along once every 20 years or so, like Montana and Brady. If you want to give anyone credit it goes entirely to their scouting department. Add in that they happened to land one of the better HCs in the NFL for good measure.

But while all of that is nice, no one right now would be talking about them like this is they didn't draft Mahomes. Not that they had a bad program before him, but they were one of those easy out teams in the AFC playoffs. 2015 - They beat the hapless Texans then lose to the Pats in a game that in no way was as close as the 30-27 score says. 2016 - Lose in the Divisional round to he Steelers with home field after a bye. One of the least scary 2nd seed teams in recent memory. 2017 - Lost to the Titans in the WC. Good enough to make the playoffs, but never a team in serious contention. This is what they were before getting Mahomes. If they had ended up with Trubisky instead of Mahomes or Watsons that draft, there would be no articles talking about their team building ability or how smart they are.

Yes, you are having a good run drafting guys overall but you had a better run 4-8 years ago then you have the last 1-3. And maybe, just maybe, luck played a role in that. If not, they why haven't they drafted any guys the level of Hill, Kelce, Jones or Mahomes since 2017?

Same strategy as Seattle, Green Bay, and Indianapolis. Pay everyone market value and build your team around the quarterback and 4-5 superstars. Rationalize that you “have to” set the market with your homegrown players because it’s a cardinal sin not to. Coast on results for a year or two. Superstar players age, decline, get injured while you try to pay 47 players with the leftover cap space while expecting to hit an inordinate amount of draft picks from the #30 slot.

Yeah, everyone is a genius and has it all figured out. Just wait until the bill comes due. They’re paying Clark and Watkins ridiculous salaries to be role players; those types of mistakes will cripple them when the Mahomes contract blows up.

As you pointed out, their drafts have been barren for almost four years. They’ll be a lot like Seattle, though with the better superstar QB.

Tom has a 50/50 chance basically of winning a Super Bowl. Maybe more if you think they return within the next couple years. BB probably is way less than a 50% chance of getting another one although it's certainly not impossible.
The AFC is a strong conference. The Chiefs aren’t going away. I’d put BB’s odds at winning another SB as Pats head coach closer to 5% than 50% but I think he should be able to at least build a good team that can make the playoffs most years and win a game or two when there.

Any time a front 4 can get that kind of pressure, any defensive coordinator is a genius. We have two outlier games, SB42 because of that d-line, and 2019 because the Patriots couldn’t score against anyone.

Brady vs. Spagnuolo
2007 - Patriots 38, Giants 35
2008 - Giants 17, Patriots 14
2015 - Patriots 27, Giants 26
2019 - Chiefs 23, Patriots 16

Spags is a good coach and clearly he isn’t a guy whose going to come up with an easy scheme to exploit. He’ll get great use of his players. But are the Chiefs players good enough to constantly disrupt Brady leading to confusion?

The pats also lost Edelman during the 2015 Giants game. They were shredding the gmen before he left.

I’ve seen the Spags thing online & I think it’s inconclusive. Sample size is small & the games with context explain limited offensive production.

Chris Simms believes that the first quarter was the actual game and that the Chiefs took their foot off the gas the next 3 quarters

Chris Simms believes that the first quarter was the actual game and that the Chiefs took their foot off the gas the next 3 quarters
Yeah, that’s what the Chiefs are known for :rolleyes:

I listened to all of Chris’s stuff, and I came away with the impression that:
1. His hate for Brady distorts his analysis
2. He discounts the impact of losing both starting tackles
3. He might be right about KC’s ability to use the short passing game to beat that pass rush...not sure I agree with him that they have morphed into that type of offense over the course of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes