PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2020 OL

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The 2018 OL was awesome and the strength of the team.

The 2019 (first half) OL is awful, and the 2nd worst unit on the team, next to TE.

2020 is a crapshoot at this point. Resources will need to be spent. I could certainly see another couple of draft choices being used, in addition to the free agent signings. I expect Karras to be re-signed.

There is little cap room, and much needs to be used on the defense.

OT
Wynn, Cannon, Cunningham, Cajuste

OG
Mason, Froholdt

C
Andrews (if he comes back)

FREE AGENTS
Thuney
Newhouse
Karras
Eluemunor (RFA)
Ferentz

I think andrews will be back, i was surprised that he was IR'd for the whole season. The big fish would be Thuney.

I think andrews will be back, i was surprised that he was IR'd for the whole season. The big fish would be Thuney.
I hope so. I've read a couple of articles on his condition which offered conflicting prognosis.

Dante has 4 in his Academy, perhaps to stay and compete for the 2020 team. The team also has to decide whether to re-sign Karras and/or Ferentz. These players will compete with the new additions from the draft and free agency.

The offense is clearly is a state of transition. If we re-sign Karras, we would return all of the "current" starters (including Wynn NOT Newhouse) . That would be a reasonable start on 2020.

Dante's Academy
--------------------
Froholdt
Cajuste
Cunningham (3 year contract)
Eluemunor (used 4th rounder; he'll be an RFA)

I wouldn’t be surprised if Cannon and Mason are asked to take a pay cut.

First, both Mason and Cannon are well worth their $6M 2020 compensation (salary plus bonus).
========
Please list the last time starters were asked to take a pay cut.

IMO, it won't happen. They can trade the players if they want. Alternatively, they can cut the player, have him assess the market, and hope to get him to come back.
====
In addition, you might consider the dead money hit: $13.9M for Mason, and $5.1M. So, it would cost us $18.5M in dead money, and we would lose two starters.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Cannon and Mason are asked to take a pay cut.

Last edited:
Please list the last time starters were asked to take a pay cut.

IMO, it won't happen. They can trade the players if they want. Alternatively, they can cut the player, have him assess the market, and hope to get him to come back.
====
In addition, you might consider the dead money hit: $13.9M for Mason, and $5.1M. So, it would cost us $18.5M in dead money, and we would lose two starters.
Danny Amendola?

Cannon’s cap hit goes from $4.9 mill to $8.9 mill next year. His dead cap would be $3.7 mill so nothing to sneeze at but still a good amount saved for a guy who has struggled this year. Mason will most likely stay around due to his contract but he hasn’t played great either.

You need to consider actual money, Cannon's cap hit isn't relevant. The team is schedule to pay cannon $6M for his 2020 services. If the team thinks that Cannon can't find a starting or backup job that will pay him that, then the team can cut him, and try to find a replacement starter for $6M.

Danny Amendola?

Cannon’s cap hit goes from $4.9 mill to $8.9 mill next year. His dead cap would be $3.7 mill so nothing to sneeze at but still a good amount saved for a guy who has struggled this year. Mason will most likely stay around due to his contract but he hasn’t played great either.

You need to consider actual money, Cannon's cap hit isn't relevant. The team is schedule to pay cannon $6M for his 2020 services. If the team thinks that Cannon can't find a starting or backup job that will pay him that, then the team can cut him, and try to find a replacement starter for $6M.
If they draft someone to start at RT he’s going to be cheaper than $6 mill.

You're right. I should have asked for starters. Obviously, backups are sometimes given the option to take a pay cut or be traded (or cut).

Danny Amendola?

Isn't the question about Mason's performance problem related to his injury? As in, has he had it for a while and been limited as a result? If so, then having a month off might solve it.

There is little cap room, and much needs to be used on the defense.

We don't have a number for Brady's contract (the one he will play with, not the one he has now).
He may feel generous if he sees a shot at another ring. Or, he may not. But that's a big wildcard in all this.

I have no doubt in my mine that the Pats will add at least 2 O-line in the next draft. One OT/OG and one OG/OC. I also believe they'll address TE in the draft and in free agency.

2020 OL

RT - Cannon, Cajuste : I think Cannon starts in 2020 but he's getting old. Cajuste will back him up and hopefully be ready to start in 2021
RG - Mason, Ferentz : Mason starts and Ferentz is backup
C - Karras, Andrews : Karras starts as Andrews is not 100% fully healthy yet. Maybe he starts the season on IR with Ferentz backing up. Decisions will need to be made in 2021
LG - Froholdt, Eluemunor : I believe Froholdt is the real deal at LG and Scar will make sure he's up to the task
LT - Wynn, Cajuste : Wynn starts and Cujuste backs him

I agree with DaBruinz...a couple linemen will be drafted...it's ok to replace Ferentz with one of them

Last edited:

His full season IR was the only option. Until completing treatment, playing put his life in jeopardy, not just his career.

Isn't the question about Mason's performance problem related to his injury? As in, has he had it for a while and been limited as a result? If so, then having a month off might solve it.
Yeah feel as though he deserves the benefit of the doubt in terms of diminished performance this year due to that ankle injury.

Hopefully it’s a positive sign that he played this week, when they could have just sat him again and waited until after the bye to bring him back.

Sure. Brady might accept $20M instead of the $30M-$40M that other are getting. In any case, the cap space before considering Brady is about $55M. We would still need to re-sign or replace

on OFFENSE: Brady, Thuney, Karras, Ferentz, Watson, Dorsett, Eluemunor
on DEFENSE: Calhoun, Butler, Van Noy, Collins, McCourty, Roberts, Shelton
on ST's: Slater, Ebner, Folk

EDIT: This is only for 43 players. The additional 10 players should be added at the minimum to better look at our situation. That reduces the total to $50M.

We don't have a number for Brady's contract (the one he will play with, not the one he has now).
He may feel generous if he sees a shot at another ring. Or, he may not. But that's a big wildcard in all this.

Last edited:
In any case, the cap space before considering Brady is about $55M. We would still need to re-sign or replace

on OFFENSE: Brady, Thuney, Karras, Ferentz, Watson, Dorsett, Eluemunor
on DEFENSE: Calhoun, Butler, Van Noy, Collins, McCourty, Roberts, Shelton
on ST's: Slater, Ebner, Folk

Ouch.

Are you expecting to get a starter that the team will trust to start in the 3rd? We have a 1st and no second.

I agree that we should draft an OT in the 3rd. However, this would be for a POTENTIAL starter, after backing up Cannon for a year or two. In the meantime, this player would compete with Cajuste for the role of swing OT.

If they draft someone to start at RT he’s going to be cheaper than $6 mill.

Where's Scar in 2020? That's most important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back