PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2020 Offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will have to be better than the offense was in the second half of last year.

I expect the run game to be much better this year and that the Pats will attempt more runs that last year.

the defense should be slightly worse compared to last year but still be one of the best in the league.

My guess is top five defense and middle of the pack offense.

Top 5 defense? Losing Van Noy, Collins and Shelton and replacing them with what?

QUESTIONS: AS A WHOLE WHICH IS BETTER?
2019 Edelman vs 2020 Edelman
2019 Sanu vs 2020 Sanu
2019 Harry vs 2020 Harry
2019 Meyers/Gunner vs 2020 Meyers/Gunner
2019 Dorsett vs 2020 Byrd/Lee
2019 LeCosse vs 2020 LeCosse
2019 Izzo vs 2020 Asiasi/Keene

Sure, I have questions at WR and TE. But I do not have any difficult believing that the 2020 WR's and TE's are better then the 2019 group, even before a couple of more acquisitions.
==========
THE "REAL" QUESTION
2019 Brady vs 2020 Stidham
If you think that this is no big deal, I know of bridges for sale, as well as land in Florida.

They're equally horrendous, and Edelman is another year older. Maybe the rookies at TE make a difference, but there is no improvement in the WRs as the roster currently stands.

QUESTIONS: AS A WHOLE WHICH IS BETTER?
2019 Edelman vs 2020 Edelman
2019 Sanu vs 2020 Sanu
2019 Harry vs 2020 Harry
2019 Meyers/Gunner vs 2020 Meyers/Gunner
2019 Dorsett vs 2020 Byrd/Lee
2019 LeCosse vs 2020 LeCosse
2019 Izzo vs 2020 Asiasi/Keene

Sure, I have questions at WR and TE. But I do not have any difficult believing that the 2020 WR's and TE's are better then the 2019 group, even before a couple of more acquisitions.

People are making far too many assertions about this year's offensive players in comparison to last year's.

We can only guess about Sanu and Edelman, as age v. injury is unknowable at this point.
We can only guess about the TEs as garbage v. possible garbage is unknowable at this point.
We can make an informed guess about Byrd/Lee v. Dorsett, but only based upon Dorsett's decline in the 2nd half of 2019.
We can hope for improvement with Harry and Meyers.

I, personally, expect both Edelman and Sanu to be better than they were at the end of last season. But that's based on hope as much as anything factual. The rest is either a crap shoot, or a hope that "horseshit" (Meyers, Harry, 2nd half Dorsett slot) improves to something useful.

michel? The guy who can’t run away from D tackles? The guy who has hands like a clock?

Carried the team to the title in 18 so he must be doing something right.

Even though Brady didn’t have a great year there were a couple things he did that will likely be worse this year: interceptions and sacks.

Brady put his line pre-snap in the best possible position and would throw it away before taking a sack. When Cassel came in in ‘08 our sacks doubled from ‘07 with Brady under centre. Not a coincidence.

Brady also limited the amount of picks he’d throw. He wasn’t putting the D in bad positions.

Those are like growing pains we’ll have to deal with from Stidham cause picks/sacks can cost us games.

So much of last year's 12-4 was predicated on things that didn't show up accurately in the stat sheet that watching people trying to evaluate 2019 v 2020 via stats is actually slightly annoying rather than just ludicrous.

Honestly it's too early to tell.

Brady was sacked a career high 41 times in 2001, despite not playing a full season.

Cant remember the number but that sounds right.
They’ll still have the reins on him to minimize the mistakes and I’m sure the sacks too.

I think it's fair to expect the OL and running game to be better in 2020. TE and WR still have a lot of question marks as does QB. I think the Pats need Stidham to be at least comparable to Darnold and Allen if they are going to compete for the division. He is such an unknown it is hard to really know what to expect. In BB we trust is extremely true this year.

Brady's completion percentage and TD percentage took hits last year simply because nobody outside of Edelman could get open. With the exception of the unknown rookie TEs, there is no reason to think that is going to be any different this year.

Here is how the offense will play out...We try to run the ball, but that is ineffective due to everybody and their dog being in the box. When the running approach fails we bring in James White, announcing to the world we're throwing the ball. Stidham drops back to pass. The OL gives him significant time to throw, but he has to throw it away because nobody is open due to their inability to beat man coverage. Stidham's completion % is horrible, the Boston media tears him apart and we try a new QB midway through the season. The end.

Last edited:
Carried the team to the title in 18 so he must be doing something right.

“Carried”

LOL. That’s revisionist history at its finest

As for 2019..his stats and game tape were awful. His college teammate looked like an All Pro

“Carried”

LOL. That’s revisionist history at its finest

As for 2019..his stats and game tape were awful. His college teammate looked like an All Pro

Nope not revisionist at all. “Carried” is accurate.

How much do we have to improve in 2020 to be competitive for the playoffs. I understand that the team had one of the worse offenses in the NFL (well, that's what you've told me). And you've told me that it is not enough to have a healthy line back, in addition to a FB, and a couple of draftee TE's.

2019 New England Patriots Statistics & Players | Pro-Football-Reference.com

I'm not much for stats. So, please help me understand which of the 2019 stats were so horrible that their improvement is absolutely necessary for a playoff season.
=======
Do we need to be much better than about average (15th) in Yards? Isn't being 7th in points enough?

Is being about average (18th) in run yardage with no blocking really that aweful?
Is

My biggest issue is people were citing team rankings even when it was obvious the offense was majorly flawed in 2005 and 2006 even though the offensive ranking wasn't horrible. This offense had major problems in the playoffs and it's why we lost.

I think it comes down to a handful of questions...

Is the OL healthy?
If we've got Wynn-Thuney-Andrews-Mason-Cannon all playing somewhat close to full strength, Stidham will have more time to throw than Brady did, and the running game will be improved. They should be deeper and more talented than they were in 2019. The running game will also benefit from having a healthy fullback or two.

How much can Sanu and Harry offer?
I'm less concerned about Sanu. He's a proven NFL caliber receiver - if he's healthy, he'll produce. I thought there were flashes from Harry, but he needs to be more consistent. You'd have to think that some degree of consistency will come just from being more comfortable and healthier.

Can the rookie TEs contribute?
I think it's especially key that Asiasi hits the ground running, ready to push LaCosse from Day One. They couldn't possibly get less from their TEs than last year, right?

Will Stidham pee down his leg?
I have no questions about Stidham's ability to put the ball into NFL-sized throwing windows. The arm talent is there. I think he's got a grasp of the offense, and I think he can read defenses. But his downfall his senior year at Auburn was his inability to make plays under pressure. He's got a lot to prove there. And NFL defenses will make him prove it.

If Sony doesn’t have a huge year this is a bottom 10 offense as currently constituted.

Nope not revisionist at all. “Carried” is accurate.
Yes he only had 850 yds and 7 tds his last 10 games but who cares he sucks

If Sony doesn’t have a huge year this is a bottom 10 offense as currently constituted.
If it’s a bottom ten offense talent wise it will still probably be a top 10 offense production wise due to defense, special teams and coaching.

I think it comes down to a handful of questions...

Is the OL healthy?
If we've got Wynn-Thuney-Andrews-Mason-Cannon all playing somewhat close to full strength, Stidham will have more time to throw than Brady did, and the running game will be improved. They should be deeper and more talented than they were in 2019. The running game will also benefit from having a healthy fullback or two.

How much can Sanu and Harry offer?
I'm less concerned about Sanu. He's a proven NFL caliber receiver - if he's healthy, he'll produce. I thought there were flashes from Harry, but he needs to be more consistent. You'd have to think that some degree of consistency will come just from being more comfortable and healthier.

Can the rookie TEs contribute?
I think it's especially key that Asiasi hits the ground running, ready to push LaCosse from Day One. They couldn't possibly get less from their TEs than last year, right?

Will Stidham pee down his leg?
I have no questions about Stidham's ability to put the ball into NFL-sized throwing windows. The arm talent is there. I think he's got a grasp of the offense, and I think he can read defenses. But his downfall his senior year at Auburn was his inability to make plays under pressure. He's got a lot to prove there. And NFL defenses will make him prove it.

Agree completely. Stidham is ok in a clean pocket. He HAS to learn all the blitzes and protections and audibles. Know what to do FAST under blitz. Be quick and decisive. Don't hold onto the ball get it out. This kid folds under pass rush pressure and in the 4th quarter or 2 minute drill in college and in HS

Without Tom, I expect it to be a long ole troublesome road - a lot of getting up to speed without the GOAT taking snaps, this wasnt going to change no matter how the draft worked itself out.

======================

The OL & RB situation should be pretty solid, a healthy Develin was missed greatly last year. Health and depth will be critical.

I think we did what was necessary at TE, getting two distinct TE types that we needed. ANY TE production will be an improvement, the bar was set dangerously low so we can only go up from there.

The WRs are a concern, three critical points could make it a much smoother ride:

* healthy Sanu with an offseason under his belt, needs to yield significant improvement - there was unrealistic expectation put on a midseason pick up because the trade capital was high, this season will be the true test

* improvement from Harry, learning the system but also the OC creating more ways to utilize his strengths, they clearly liked him enough based on draft position and we saw flashes last year

* Jules remaining healthy to ease the transition for Stidham as a safety valve and with his incredible knowledge of the system, if we are missing Jules for a stretch - this season gets a lot longer

A good year from any of Meyers, Lee, Gunner, etc would be a positive but more of a stretch than the above 3.

We realistically dont know what we have in Stidham. We know what we want from him, what Bill and CO think they have in him, but truth will come to the light eventually. The transition wont be seamless however, this is not a situation where we are looking at a full rebuild - new coaches, new QB, new system - the cornerstones have been in place for 20 years, we are just bringing the new talent up to speed. Hoyer should be a tremendous mentor, and I expect Jules to be much of the same. The locker room is rock solid with leadership, we have a winning culture with a serious approach and focus on detail. Stidham isnt stepping into some Hardknocks **** show. He will be given the most sincere chance to succeed surrounded by some of the best to do it.

Cant wait to see the new chapter begin!

Last edited:
So much of last year's 12-4 was predicated on things that didn't show up accurately in the stat sheet that watching people trying to evaluate 2019 v 2020 via stats is actually slightly annoying rather than just ludicrous.

Think it's underestimated the extent to which merely going from a putrid schedule to this year's probable gauntlet is going to change things even if they're no worse as a team than they were last season.

Honestly I am a little excited about the upcoming season. Maybe even a little more than I recently have been.

It's great to go into a season practically guaranteed to win the division and make the playoffs. I have really enjoyed that these last several years....

But it kinda creates a new level of excitement to go in not really knowing what we're going to get... I am looking forward to it.

I don't think we know yet.

Gut tells me it'll start slow but as the season goes on and everyone improves with experience they'll do pretty well.

Compared to the last 9 games of last year there is only one direction to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey