PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2017 Mock Draft Thread

Already started my "Likely UDFA" wish list.

So far, I have ... (and feel free to add)

CB:
Brandon Wilson, Houston
DJ Killings, Central Florida
Dee Virgin, West Alabama

SAFETY:
Kai Nacua, BYU
Brandon Leston, Western Kentucky

LINEBACKER:
Eric Wilson, Cincinnati

EDGE:
Avery Moss, Youngstown State
Fadol Brown, Mississippi
Bryan Cox, Florida
Evan Schwan, Penn State

INTERIOR DL:
Pat Ricard, Maine
Josh Augusta, Missouri

INTERIOR OL:
Kofi Amichia, OG, South Florida
Cameron Tom, OC, Southern Miss.

OFFENSIVE TACKLE:
Max Rich, Harvard

TIGHT END
Antony Auclair, Laval
Andy Avgi, Western Oregon
Jason Croom, Tennessee

WIDE RECEIVER:
Riley McCarron, Iowa
CJ Board, Chattanooga
Quincy Atta-boy-hey-ho, Mississippi
Fred Brown, Mississippi State

RUNNING BACK:
Dalton Crossan, UNH (Lacrosse player)
Dare Ogunbowale, Wisconsin

QUARTERBACK ("Athlete"):
Taysom Hill, BYU
... (6015/230, 4.46/40, 7.03 3-cone, 38.5 vert)
Trevor Knight, Texas A&M
... (6013/219, 4.54/40, 7.04 3-cone - already listed on some rankings as a WR)

Already started my "Likely UDFA" wish list.

So far, I have ... (and feel free to add)

CB:
Brandon Wilson, Houston
DJ Killings, Central Florida
Dee Virgin, West Alabama

SAFETY:
Kai Nacua, BYU
Brandon Leston, Western Kentucky

LINEBACKER:
Eric Wilson, Cincinnati

EDGE:
Avery Moss, Youngstown State
Fadol Brown, Mississippi
Bryan Cox, Florida
Evan Schwan, Penn State

INTERIOR DL:
Pat Ricard, Maine
Josh Augusta, Missouri

INTERIOR OL:
Kofi Amichia, OG, South Florida
Cameron Tom, OC, Southern Miss.

OFFENSIVE TACKLE:
Max Rich, Harvard

TIGHT END
Antony Auclair, Laval
Andy Avgi, Western Oregon
Jason Croom, Tennessee

WIDE RECEIVER:
Riley McCarron, Iowa
CJ Board, Chattanooga
Quincy Atta-boy-hey-ho, Mississippi
Fred Brown, Mississippi State

RUNNING BACK:
Dalton Crossan, UNH (Lacrosse player)
Dare Ogunbowale, Wisconsin

QUARTERBACK ("Athlete"):
Taysom Hill, BYU
... (6015/230, 4.46/40, 7.03 3-cone, 38.5 vert)
Trevor Knight, Texas A&M
... (6013/219, 4.54/40, 7.04 3-cone - already listed on some rankings as a WR)

Jack Tocho - grade A character although a poor 3-cone. Also James Onwualu, LB, Notre Dame.

Can't wait for 'day 4'. Could be fascinating considering how short we are of a 90 man rister.

I hope Fletch makes it for draft day, haven't heard from him for a while.

Who's going to be online for day one? I will be.

What does Belichik knows that we dont?

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but a whole lot. Can't wait to see how he plays this draft. Does he just sit and wait or does he get active, moving up?

The more n more I look at the tape n listen to "analysts " the more I'm leaning towards Jamal Adams over Miles Garrett as the #1 pick

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but a whole lot. Can't wait to see how he plays this draft. Does he just sit and wait or does he get active, moving up?

If there's one thing that I've learned from all the fan speak and first pick mock simulations, it's that good players will be available throughout the entire draft. Yes, their boards might be unrealistic, but those draft slots are still filled up by someone; 71 players is still a lot, even if I quibble about rankings. Someone will be there who we like.

If there's one thing that I've learned from all the fan speak and first pick mock simulations, it's that good players will be available throughout the entire draft. Yes, their boards might be unrealistic, but those draft slots are still filled up by someone; 71 players is still a lot, even if I quibble about rankings. Someone will be there who we like.

I'm starting to get a little concerned it's going to be more Ryan Anderson than Basham though. I'd be fine with an Anderson, Cam Sutton, DeMarcus Walker, Daeshon Hall who I think are all fine 3rd round value but I'd be a tad disappointed we didn't get a higher profile potential future star.

If they pick Trubisky at 1 then they are complete and utter imbeciles. Like you said they can pick Garrett and still get Trubisky, but they can't pick Trubisky at one and then get Garrett.

And you're realizing this just now?

Please review the last time the Browns had double-digit draft picks including multiple 1st-rounders (hint: their "big score" was Manziel).

Horrible choice if it happens. Completely unproven and being the best of a bad crop doesn't make you a #1 overall QB worth taking. If they are planning to use that #1 pick on a QB better off trading for JAG by throwing a few more assets in the mix to sweeten it if need be.

Matt Miller's final 7 round mock:

72: Daeshon Hall
96: Montravius Adams
131: Amara Darboh
183: Collin Buchanan
200: Bryan Cox
239: Jake Elliot (K, Memphis)

2017 NFL Mock Draft: Matt Miller's Final 7-Round Predictions

Not bad but at the lower end of my hopes and expectations.

Let me try to make you feel better, since I'd be pretty happy with this draft.

Hall definitely fits our measurables profile. He also has experience standing up as a true OLB, playing with his hand down as a DE, and taking snaps inside at DT. He wasn't ultra productive, but he still put up better stats than Chandler Jones did in college. As a "traits" pick, it doesn't get much better, even if his tape leaves me a bit nonplussed. Can we expect much more from the 3rd round? Look at players picked at 72 over the last 10 years. It's not exactly a gold mine outside of Olivier Vernon.

Adams is really raw with his handwork and technique, but he's super athletic -- a bigger, stronger version of Easley. If he pans out, that would give us a great interior rotation.

I love Darboh, so for me this is a home run. I don't know if he's actually available at 131, but if he is, then he would be an easy choice for me. I only have Davis, Godwin, and Jones ahead of him as Patriots fits for a bigger-bodied receiver. He has some Brandon LeFell (good version) or Anquan Boldin to his game, and I think he's only just starting to scratch the surface of his potential. He's been in every one of my personal mocks.

I'd prefer a more athletic OL than Buchanan, but he definitely has starter-level traits if he moves in to guard. As a developmental backup, he could provide strong competition to the anemic group of players at IOL.

Cox gives us nastiness, toughness, and physicality as a 4/5 tech who can shift out wide for run downs, or reduce inside for rush situations.. He's also a great blocker at fullback. Legacy pick, but he plays an awful lot like his dad. Sometimes, the guy who is willing to keep crashing into the other lineman just wins at the end of the day; sometimes, toughness is more important than talent or even technique.

A kicker would be prudent in the next few years. Elliot is good, and the last kicker we drafted out of Memphis has turned out okay, I guess. ;)

Last edited:
Let me try to make you feel better, since I'd be decently happy with this draft.

Hall definitely fits our measurables profile. He also has experience standing up as a true OLB, playing with his hand down as a DE, and taking snaps inside at DE. He wasn't ultra productive, but he still put up better stats than Chandler Jones did in college. As a "traits" pick, it doesn't get much better, even if his tape leaves me a bit nonplussed. Can we expect much more from the 3rd round? Look at players picked at 72 over the last 10 years. It's not exactly a gold mine outside of Olivier Vernon.

Adams is really raw with his handwork and technique, but he's super athletic -- a bigger, stronger version of Easley. If he pans out, that would give us a great interior rotation.

I love Darboh, so for me this is a home run. I don't know if he's actually available at 131, but if he is, then he would be an easy choice for me. I only have Davis, Godwin, and Jones ahead of him as Patriots fits for a bigger-bodied receiver. He has some Brandon LeFell (good version) or Anquan Boldin to his game, and I think he's only just starting to scratch the surface of his potential. He's been in every one of my personal mocks.

I'd prefer a more athletic OL than Buchanan, but he definitely has starter-level traits if he moves in to guard. As a developmental backup, he could provide strong competition to the anemic group of players at IOL.

Cox gives us nastiness, toughness, and physicality as a 4/5 tech who can shift out wide for run downs, or reduce inside for rush situations.. He's also a great blocker at fullback. Legacy pick, but he plays an awful lot like his dad. Sometimes, the guy who is willing to keep crashing into the other lineman just wins at the end of the day; sometimes, toughness is more important than talent or even technique.

A kicker would be prudent in the next few years. Elliot is good, and the last kicker we drafted out of Memphis has turned out okay, I guess. ;)

I'm absolutely fine with the Hall, Adams and Cox picks. I'm not a fan of taking a WR so high unless they're a big help on special teams and I don't know anything about Buchanan. As for a seventh rounder on a kicker, I'm absolutely fine with that. It was the Darboh and Buchanan picks that didn't excite me.

I'm absolutely fine with the Hall, Adams and Cox picks. I'm not a fan of taking a WR so high unless they're a big help on special teams and I don't know anything about Buchanan. As for a seventh rounder on a kicker, I'm absolutely fine with that. It was the Darboh and Buchanan picks that didn't excite me.

I guess I'm just a lot more excited about Darboh's upside. He's borderline binkie status for me at this point. We'll see.

I guess I'm just a lot more excited about Darboh's upside. He's borderline binkie status for me at this point. We'll see.

Not so much that I don't like him, it's more about the state of the roster. Part of my concern about the perceived interest in WRs is that I worry it means BB isn't a fan of Malcolm Mitchell as I'd hope. That might be an irrational worry, but that's my concern.

Not so much that I don't like him, it's more about the state of the roster. Part of my concern about the perceived interest in WRs is that I worry it means BB isn't a fan of Malcolm Mitchell as I'd hope. That might be an irrational worry, but that's my concern.

I chalk a lot of that up to scouting future opponents ... and future UFA acquisitions.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back