PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2013 Prospect Thread

...a weak lower body isn't going to make for a very effective player.

Well...That kinda goes without saying...doesn't it? ;)

As for the term Core Strength, I should explain:

I find any definition of Core Strength that doesn't include the Glutes, Thighs, and Hips, as well as the Abdominals and Lower Back...to be utterly ludicrous.

I understand that most won't agree with me, just as most people insist that Morning begins at MidNight. :rolleyes:

The Core is, by definition, the body's HypoCenter.

It's where all the Power comes from.

It's where all the Explosiveness comes from.

The condition of the rest of the body matters naught, without Core Strength.

The Core is where it all starts, especially for a FootBall Player:

Abdominals.
Glutes.
Lower Back.
Thighs.

They're all integral parts the Core System.

Hopefully, most people will eventually get that.

NE Patriots' Draft profiles Texas A&M WR Ryan Swopes as a "possible Wes Welker successor" in 2013:

Texas A&M wide receiver Ryan Swope represents one potential fit should the Patriots decide to target a slot wide receiver in the NFL Draft next April. Swope would represent a bigger (6’0”, 205 pounds), faster (projected 4.50-4.55 40-yard dash time), and younger option than Welker.

Swope began his collegiate career with the Aggies primarily by contributing on special teams; he returned kicks (eight for 198 yards) and also recorded three tackles on special teams as a freshman in 2009 while adding 19 receptions and a touchdown. Swope made significant strides as an offensive contributor in 2010 by catching 72 passes for 825 yards and four touchdowns, and took another step forwards as a junior last season by catching 89 balls for 1,207 yards and 11 touchdowns. Aggies wide receiver Jeff Fuller was the more hyped, physically impressive prospect but regressed from his junior year and displayed inconsistent hands all season, prompting A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill to focus on getting the ball to Swope whenever possible.

Many of the routes which Swope was asked to execute in Mike Sherman’s offense translate to the ways in which offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels tries to involve slot receivers in New England’s gameplan. The Patriots emphasize wide receivers who can gain yards after the catch; Swope is often the recipient of bubble screens, slants, and other short routes which are designed to get the ball into his hands.

Swope’s impressive build allows him to run with a surprising amount of power for a wide receiver; he also demonstrates a fearlessness over the middle and a willingness to fight for extra yardage after contact. For this reason the Aggies have even utilized the former high school running back on a handful of reverses over his career. Swope has reliable hands and can adjust to balls thrown away from his body. His savvy allows him to ward off press coverage in order to get open, and Swope is agile enough to create enough separation to make the catch.

Where Swope’s draft stock ends up in 2013 will depend on how well he adjusts to the litany of changes which face Texas A&M’s program entering the 2012 season: former head coach Mike Sherman is now the offensive coordinator for the Miami Dolphins and brought quarterback Ryan Tannehill and receiver Jeff Fuller to South Beach with him.

The Aggies will also face a significantly more difficult conference schedule now that they have joined the SEC; defenses will be increasingly focused on limiting Swope’s production in 2012, as he is one of the Aggies’ remaining offensive playmakers. Fortunately for Swope, A&M’s new head coach Kevin Sumlin plans to implement a spread offense with west coast principles which is designed to create separation in the passing game.

If Swope can replicate last season’s success amid a conference change, a head coaching change, a quarterback change, and a shift in the Aggies’ offensive philosophy, he could solidify his draft status as a second or third-round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft and draw interest from the New England Patriots as a potential successor to Wes Welker in the slot.

Replacing Welker? Ryan Swope Potential 2013 NFL Draft Target for Patriots | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2013 NFL Draft

With Welker, Julian Edelman, Anthony Gonzalez and Jeremy Ebert currently under contract I'm not too focused on the slot right now. But obviously that could change.

You guys watch out for Colby Ellis slot wr for Oklahoma state, clone to welker/amendola and experience at db/special teams

Well...That kinda goes without saying...doesn't it? ;)

As for the term Core Strength, I should explain:

I find any definition of Core Strength that doesn't include the Glutes, Thighs, and Hips, as well as the Abdominals and Lower Back...to be utterly ludicrous.

I understand that most won't agree with me, just as most people insist that Morning begins at MidNight. :rolleyes:

The Core is, by definition, the body's HypoCenter.

It's where all the Power comes from.

It's where all the Explosiveness comes from.

The condition of the rest of the body matters naught, without Core Strength.

The Core is where it all starts, especially for a FootBall Player:

Abdominals.
Glutes.
Lower Back.
Thighs.

They're all integral parts the Core System.

Hopefully, most people will eventually get that.

The sad thing is that even if people thought of the core that way I don't think they'd train in a manner that actually ties the core into the upper and lower body so that they're learning to work in alignment with one another. From what I've seen of NFL weight rooms, which are packed with machines, they don't seem to be thinking about the effect of removing stabilizer muscles from the equation.

IMO, that coordination of the various parts of the body is what some broadcasters of late have termed 'body control', which I think is vital to any player, not just the receivers who it's referenced towards.

Last edited:
NE Patriots' Draft profiles Texas A&M WR Ryan Swopes as a "possible Wes Welker successor" in 2013:

Replacing Welker? Ryan Swope Potential 2013 NFL Draft Target for Patriots | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2013 NFL Draft

With Welker, Julian Edelman, Anthony Gonzalez and Jeremy Ebert currently under contract I'm not too focused on the slot right now. But obviously that could change.

I've actually been thinking of Swope as a Welker replacement, unfortunately there's not too much footage on him. I also thought the Ebert pick was some spaghetti for the wall.

Do you know what Swope's draft stock is at the moment?

Last edited:
The sad thing is that even if people thought of the core that way I don't think they'd train in a manner that actually ties the core into the upper and lower body so that they're learning to work in alignment with one another. From what I've seen of NFL weight rooms, which are packed with machines, they don't seem to be thinking about the effect of removing stabilizer muscles from the equation.

IMO, that coordination of the various parts of the body is what some broadcasters of late have termed 'body control', which I think is vital to any player, not just the receivers who it's referenced towards.

That's obviously a much broader discussion, which Reamer and others have already commented on at length in other threads. I personally think that football training and conditioning could benefit tremendously from more functional and integrative work, more cross-training, more eccentric object training, etc. From my limited understanding, it seems like that hasn't really caught on yet as much as I would have expected.

That's obviously a much broader discussion, which Reamer and others have already commented on at length in other threads. I personally think that football training and conditioning could benefit tremendously from more functional and integrative work, more cross-training, more eccentric object training, etc. From my limited understanding, it seems like that hasn't really caught on yet as much as I would have expected.

I think bodybuilding has infected strength training.

Extremely well put, Sir. :cool:

And I couldn't agree more:

There seems to be a dearth of understanding about what's at the ~ haw ~ core of such dexterity. :p

One DT who could definitely jump up in terms of his draft stock is Missouri's Sheldon Richardson:

2012 Missouri Walkthrough: Defensive Tackles - Rock M Nation

Richardson is about 6'4" 295-300# and extremely athletic. He supposedly ran a 4.7-4.8 40 coming out of high school and was athletic enough to be a kick returner at 290#. He was the #4 recruit nationally in 2009 but was ruled academically ineligible and spent 2 years at JC before transferring to Missouri, where he had originally committed. He spent 2011 transitioning to the Big-12 but showed flashes of playmaking ability, as shown on this clip against Baylor:

Sheldon Richardson vs Baylor | Draft Breakdown

Richardson had off-season shoulder surgery and is missing spring ball. If healthy, he could be an impact player this season. He's more of a 1-gap penetrator, but he could certainly impact the DT class.

One interesting LB on Walter Football's list is Illinois junior Jonathan Brown. 6'1" 235# with reported 4.5 speed. Had 6 sacks and 19.5 TFL in 2011 along with 2 fumble recoveries, 1 force fumble, 4 PD and 1 INT. Watching film of Tavon Wilson, Brown shows up all over the place. Here's some additional film:

Jonathan Brown vs Wisconsin 2011 - YouTube

He seems to have nice instincts, read and react ability and core strength. Don't see much of him in coverage.

I've actually been thinking of Swope as a Welker replacement, unfortunately there's not too much footage on him. I also thought the Ebert pick was some spaghetti for the wall.

Do you know what Swope's draft stock is at the moment?

We have him as a fringe top-100 player in the pre-season.

Grizzly Sleeper Alert for OTG!

Mark Jackson, OT, Glenville State. 6'5" 325#. Very athletic kid who supposedly runs a 5.1 40 and has nice footwork for his size. Jackson transferred from Illinois because of unspecified "off field issues", and perhaps because he came from a big time program he reportedly has decent technique. Jackson was a center in high school and was the #7 high school OC prospect in the country according to Rivals. Not sure what his character issues were, but he'll be someone to follow. He could be an interesting OG conversion prospect.

We have him as a fringe top-100 player in the pre-season.

I tend not to focus a lot on WRs, but how would you compare Swopes to West Virginia WR Tavon Austin, who is often mentioned as a slot option?

Grizzly Sleeper Alert for OTG!

Mark Jackson, OT, Glenville State. 6'5" 325#. Very athletic kid who supposedly runs a 5.1 40 and has nice footwork for his size. Jackson transferred from Illinois because of unspecified "off field issues", and perhaps because he came from a big time program he reportedly has decent technique. Jackson was a center in high school and was the #7 high school OC prospect in the country according to Rivals. Not sure what his character issues were, but he'll be someone to follow. He could be an interesting OG conversion prospect.

That, Ladies and Gentlemen, is why I call Brother Mayo The Man. :cool:

Nobody ~ and I mean NOBODY ~ scours The Far Pavilions or penetrates deeper into the Ether in search of legitimate NFL Talent with greater Vision or Insight than Brother Mayo.

True Story.

NE Patriots' Draft profiles Arkansas WR Cobi Hamilton:

Boston Might Like This Cobi: Deep Threat in the 2013 NFL Draft | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2013 NFL Draft

Nice prospect. Good size (6'3" 210#) and body control. Not a burner, but able to stretch the field.

Yeah he never looks like he's running that fast but he still outruns people. And he has HUGE hands. Im not sure if i'd put him on pre-injury Greg Childs level as a prospect but he has the tools

Mallett For Heisman 2010 - Sweet Dreams - YouTube

^ some nice Mallett to hamilton action. 3:03 also has another good play by those two.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back