PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2012 season: the Jets [Mod Edit: STILL] suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since there were only two WR's who followed him, and they played for a combined one game between them, I believe that would be young Mr. Edelman.

Unless you mean the last player who played in college as a WR, rather than a QB. . . .

You beat me to it. Didn't see your post before I posted.

Funny, a QB drafted in the seventh round had a better rookie year as a WR than a WR drafted by the Jets in the second round.

Also, Hill was supposed to be this amazing deep threat WR, but his YPC average was 12 YPC. People are killing Brandon Lloyd for being horrible at stretching the field and getting YAC and his average was 12.3 YPC.

Look back to before the draft. I was on record that I absolutely wanted the Pats to avoid Hill at all costs. Why? Because he couldn't run routes or catch the ball in college. That was his knock in college. So far it is proven to be true in the Pros.

If he was a Patriot, I would be concerned my fears were correct. Since he is a Jets I am excited that he is on the way to be a big bust. He could turn it around, but so far he is confirming my reasoning why I wanted the Pats to avoid him.

I know what you were saying before the draft, and they were legitimate things to be concerned about. However, he clearly gets open and, if he was a Patriots player, you'd be talking about giving him time to judge, and about how he just needs to work with the juggs machine, etc...

And his route running is getting him open, so he's not really confirming your reasoning, at least not in full. I absolutely hope that the Jets will screw it up with this kid because, if he learns to catch, he's going to be a force.

Hill would have been lambasted as a pick for his inability to pick up any pro offense, let alone the Pats'. Trivia question: who is the last Pats WR to have more than 252 yards in his rookie season?
There have been 2 rookie WR's who caught more than that. Branch with around 460yds and Edelman with around 380.

Hill is still an intriguing prospect, even after a VERY disappointing rookie season. While its unclear whether he just sucks, or is simply going through a process that a very raw WR with little college experience goes through. We don't know. However his combination of size and speed is certainly something for Jets fans to look forward to.

Bottom Line: He could be come the next D.Thomas or the next Chad Schillens, no one knows. But one thing for certain, he would have gotten no love from this board after his first season. Hell, we are known for throwing people under the bus after one game, let alone one bad season. :rolleyes:

The Jets are truly a mess, but how can any Patriot fan criticize their drafts particularly at WR or DB with a straight face when the Pats havent hit on a WR in 10 years?

Unless you want to call Edelman a success. Many of you do not agree that he can fill the void if Welker is gone.

The tale of the tape doesnt lie.

2012 - Jerry Ebert # 235

2011 - No WR

2010 - Taylor Price # 90
Mike Williams # 101
Antonio Brown # 195

2009 - Brandon Tate # 83
Mike Wallace # 84 :eek:
Brian Hartline # 108
John Knox # 140
Julian Edelman # 232

2008 - Mat Slater # 153
Pierre Garcon #205
Steve Johnson #224 :eek:

2007 - No WR

2006 - Chad Jackson # 36 :p
Greg Jennings # 52
Marques Colston # 252

2005 - No WR

2004 - PeeKay Sam # 164
Patrick Crayton # 216

2003 - Bethel Johnson # 45
Anquan Boldin # 54 :eek:
Nate Burleson # 71

I know what you were saying before the draft, and they were legitimate things to be concerned about. However, he clearly gets open and, if he was a Patriots player, you'd be talking about giving him time to judge, and about how he just needs to work with the juggs machine, etc...

And his route running is getting him open, so he's not really confirming your reasoning, at least not in full. I absolutely hope that the Jets will screw it up with this kid because, if he learns to catch, he's going to be a force.

You are overrating how often he got open. Also, being open and good route running are not the same thing. We saw that with OchoCinco. Ocho would be open a lot, but was five yards away from where Brady expected him. Hill is big, strong, and fast. He will get open. But did he run the right route or a good route? I saw plenty of times that he was somewhere else than Sanchez expected. It could be on Sanchez, but I would bet it is mostly on Hill.

The Jets are truly a mess, but how can any Patriot fan criticize their drafts particularly at WR or DB with a straight face when the Pats havent hit on a WR in 10 years?

Unless you want to call Edelman a success. Many of you do not agree that he can fill the void if Welker is gone.

Greg Jennings # 52
Marques Colston # 252

Looking back in hindsight, it's "obvious" the Pats should have taken Jennings instead of Jackson.

It was not, however, at the time "obvious" that Jennings was in fact the better prospect. Many analysts felt that Jackson was a steal at #36.

And the fact that EVERYBODY passed on Marques Colston half a dozen times is as much a stain on the Patriots as it is on every other team in the league—including the Saints.

And, as has been pointed out more than once here, the Patriots drafted Slater first and foremost for his ST abilities. Those are enough to secure his roster spot; anything they can get out of him at WR is an added bonus. Ditto for Ebner at S.

Looking back in hindsight, it's "obvious" the Pats should have taken Jennings instead of Jackson.

It was not, however, at the time "obvious" that Jennings was in fact the better prospect. Many analysts felt that Jackson was a steal at #36.

And the fact that EVERYBODY passed on Marques Colston half a dozen times is as much a stain on the Patriots as it is on every other team in the league—including the Saints.

And, as has been pointed out more than once here, the Patriots drafted Slater first and foremost for his ST abilities. Those are enough to secure his roster spot; anything they can get out of him at WR is an added bonus. Ditto for Ebner at S.

The immediate reaction after the 2006 draft was the Pats got two first rounders with Maroney and Jackson. Both were considered solid picks at the time. The draft is a crap shoot. The Pats have struggled with the WR position since Branch and Givens, but there are no guarantees and many star WRs today were considered draft risks at best when they were drafted and many busts were can't miss at the time of the draft.

2012 - Jerry Ebert # 235

2011 - No WR

2010 - Taylor Price # 90
Mike Williams # 101 different team
Antonio Brown # 195

2009 - Brandon Tate # 83
Mike Wallace # 84 :eek: no longer a steeler
Brian Hartline # 108 Potentially leaving the dolphins
John Knox # 140 Retired
Julian Edelman # 232 potentially leaving the pats

2008 - Mat Slater # 153 Pro bowler
Pierre Garcon #205 No longer with the colts
Steve Johnson #224 :eek: Headcase

2007 - No WR

Greg Jennings # 52 Packers are letting him walk
Marques Colston # 252 Solid player still with the saints

2005 - No WR

2004 - PeeKay Sam # 164
Patrick Crayton # 216 retired?

2003 - Bethel Johnson # 45
Anquan Boldin # 54 :eek: Just won his first title
Nate Burleson # 71 team hopper

While the tale of the tape doesnt lie, only one of those players is still currently signed tot he team that drafted them, And the majority of these players are now free agents not being pursued by their own teams.

So while the WR we drafted may have washed out sooner outside of Boldin, and colston, none of them have had really huge sucsess. Jennings has come on recently and will get a decent contract, but its not like we passed up on a megatron.

The patriots pick at the end of the round, they get picks at the skill position based on "future potential". and every year they are a favorite superbowl pick. when was the last time they had a chance at a known superstar receiver coming into the nfl and passed on them?

People are being paid lots of money in the NE Draft Dept. to find out that Jennings was better than Jackson. Someone on the Packers knew.

The Packers have one of the best WR corps in the NFL. The lack of quality WRs has hurt the Patriots in the post season.

The analyst dont know sheet from shinola.

The Patriots have their own scouting Dept. and it has failed to produce a home grown keeper WR in 10 drafts. Edelman might be the exception.

Slater offers absolutely nothing in the WR dept. Would you choose Slater over Steve Johnson today? Of course not, nobody would.

Wait, are we having a rational discussion of Pats receivers vs Jets receivers in a thread about how much the Jets suck? Let's see if I can get this back on course:

Stephen-Hill-Jumping-Jacks.jpg

Aaahhh, much better.

http://network.yardbarker.com/all_sports/article_external/stephen_hill_does_jumping_jacks_in_end_zone_while_mark_sanchez_throws_interception/12190936

Hill was my #1 binky in last years draft. Uncle Rico's pick sums up how I disregard his rookie season. I predict he goes the way of Brandon Lloyd's career, labeled a "bust" and the Jets cut him, when in reality it was buttfumble's fault, and lights it up with a new team. He was open alot 20-40 yards downfield the whole season.

That picture is actually part of the point. #84 (circled) is so wide open that he could take a nap and still make a catch, but Sanchez doesn't get him the ball.

#84 is Stephen Hill ;)

Absolutely. I just view this thread as a place where we can put aside our differences, save the debates for other threads, and savor as a community the depth and breadth of Jets suckness. Ommmmmmm.

:)

Absolutely. I just view this thread as a place where we can put aside our differences, save the debates for other threads, and savor as a community the depth and breadth of Jets suckness. Ommmmmmm.

:)

No worries. I'll let it drop and I imagine Rob will, too. It's a small difference of opinion for Rob and I, and we both want Hill to fail in NY, regardless of what we think of his potential. When we differ, it's usually a much larger, and more heated, difference.

And, in the end, we agree on the most important thing: The Jets suck. :D

...... the Patriots drafted Slater first and foremost for his ST abilities. Those are enough to secure his roster spot; anything they can get out of him at WR is an added bonus. Ditto for Ebner at S.

So what your saying is, we ain't gettin no bonus?

That picture is actually part of the point. #84 (circled) is so wide open that he could take a nap and still make a catch, but Sanchez doesn't get him the ball.

#84 is Stephen Hill ;)

How much skill is involved in standing in the back of the end zone alone because a defender blew his assigment?

How much skill is involved in standing in the back of the end zone alone because a defender blew his assigment?

For the purposes of this thread, all that matters is that the Jets, collectively, sucked more than the defender who blew the coverage.

For the purposes of this thread, all that matters is that the Jets, collectively, sucked more than the defender who blew the coverage.

That's what separates the really sucky teams from the merely mediocre. Even against absolutely no adversity, they find a way to suck.

LOL

O8FfeAX.jpg

Gotta love it

J E T S

SUCK

SUCK

SUCK

:singing::singing:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back