PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2012 Combine Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: * The 2012 Combine Drills!! *

Do I know personally? No. But then, neither does anyone else here. Nor does anyone know enough to contradict it. As I stated in a previous post, that is what is reported about the kid. If you have other information, please share..

The fact is, this is the biggest day of his athletic life. He's prepared impeccably and he's performed almost flawlessly. Is that not the sort of character we'd want from a Patriot?

Why are you even watching the combine if you have so much disdain for it and think it offers next to nothing? Seriously. You are being contradictory.

Not to mention that people are talking about a half a grade change for Hill. It's not like he was a 7th rounder and is now being touted as a top 15 pick. You are SERIOUSLY exaggerating what people are saying about the kid. The problem with some of your statements is that they don't make sense. Hill was talked about as a 2nd round guy. NO ONE is talking like he's going to be a top 20 pick now. On the contrary, the only thing I said was that I could see the Pats draft him in a similar way to how they drafted Mankins. That's half a round up. WOW. OMG.. Does that mean the Pats WILL? No. It's my opinion that I wouldn't be surprised if they did. That's all.

Unlike you, I do believe that the Pats can develop Hill. What you have continuously ignored is that the guy WANTS to learn. He's proven that by working with Terrance Mathis and Mohammed Sanu. Hill actively sought them out to help himself. All one has to do is look to Jabar Gaffney and Reche Caldwell to see how Brady treats players who WANT to learn and who are willing to put in the extra work.

Also, if you watched Hill in the 3 different route drills, he was fluid and ran full speed. His cuts were crisp (not Wes Welker crisp, but still good). There was no chop in his steps like some of the receivers.

I watch the combine because its a good source of information and its entertaining. Its a great chance to see some guys that I haven't seen or heard of before, and I enjoy watching these kids compete. That doesn't mean that most of this stuff has any meaningful impact on their ability to play football. Some things do translate, like the position drills, and I will admit that he looked very good in them. But as a potential high pick he is suppose to.

Before the combine Hill was rated as a late 2nd round pick (CBS Sports had him ranked at 61 and the 7th best WR). Now some people are already considering him to be the 3rd or 4th WR and a possible pick at 27. So for his stock to jump a full round purely because of his 40 (because lets face it, if he doesn't run a 4.3 nobody is talking about him this high) I think is silly. He is still the same player he was 24 hours ago.

If you think he can develop here that's fine, you're entitled to your opinion. I'm not trying to argue that you are wrong, I'm simply stating my opinion that I would prefer to take a more pro ready WR who I think would fit better. I'm not questioning his character, work ethic or desire to succeed, but sometimes that isn't enough. I'm sure Ochocinco worked his ass off here to try to succeed, but it just didn't work out.

Could the Pats draft him in the 1st? Absolutely, but I have never agued that. All I have done is stated my opinion that I don't think he is worth the risk that high, and my bemusement of the draft process where people are elevated and torn down over non football related measures. I have nothing against the kid and I haven't said that he can't do anything, I've only stated my opinions which just happen to be different from yours, which is fine for me.

I've never seen anybody report that, and I've been curious about Hill for a long long time. Do you have a link?

Drafttek had him at the #5 receiver for like two or three months now, even though others thought it was a farce.

The members area of NFLDraftscout.com..

Intangibles: Smart, durable, hard working athlete. No apparent reason to question a high intangibles grade here, which is important for a prospect going from a triple option to the NFL, not a small adjustment for a WR.

Good point. It's not as if the WR corps is aging, there's a need for an interior lineman for the future and the team needs DB and OLB/DL help, or anything. The team's got lots of reasons to grab a player who'll project to a 3rd TE with a first or high second round pick.

Good point. It's not like the Pats have 3 other high-round picks, and there is also something called FA which could be used to solve those problems.

Also, a team with one of the 2 best TEs in the game, and another TE who's a matchup nightmare for other teams, is really in need of going to a TEBC system.

It's not like an offense so TE heavily based needs a quality back-up for the TEs. No, I mean Gronk's injury clearly showed that they do not. Just run Gronk and AH into the ground the regular season. And if Gronk or AH are injured in the playoffs, who cares that there is no quality back-up available. Someone will just magically appear and pick up the slack, like it happened in the SB.

Lets forget that Gronk will be coming after an ankle injury this season, lets just run him into the ground next season with no one else to give him some rest. Lets give opposing defenders plenty of time and opportunities to go after his ankles next season.

TEBC is probably a wrong expression, Fleener could also be used as a big target WR against 6' CBs, especially in the redzone.

Mayock just finished using Hill as his Golden Corrall Best Value at WR.
He says that he can now see a team using a late 1st on him.

Last edited:

I know that the Pats aren't likely to draft a RB, but Robert Turbin from Utah State is a monster.. Guy has huge, broad sholders.. Totally jacked.. And made a nice adjustment on the passing drill they are doing for RBs

Good point. It's not like the Pats have 3 other high-round picks, and there is also something called FA which could be used to solve those problems.

That same FA can be used to bring in a TE3, as can a lower round draft pick.

It's not like an offense so TE heavily based needs a quality back-up for the TEs. No, I mean Gronk's injury clearly showed that they do not. Just run Gronk and AH into the ground the regular season. And if Gronk or AH are injured in the playoffs, who cares that there is no quality back-up available. Someone will just magically appear and pick up the slack, like it happened in the SB.

This is true of pretty much every team at pretty much every position. It's a rarity when teams can remain stacked with both high end starters, and high end starters as backups, at any one position for any real period of time. Welcome to the salary cap era!

Lets forget that Gronk will be coming after an ankle injury this season, lets just run him into the ground next season with no one else to give him some rest. Lets give opposing defenders plenty of time and opportunities to go after his ankles next season.

Using the logic that you, and others, have put forth, teams like the Saints, Patriots, Giants, Chargers, Rams, Lions, etc... should be trying to trade up to #1 overall so that they can draft Luck and run a QBBC system, especially since a QB could get injured.

TEBC is probably a wrong expression, Fleener could also be used as a big target WR against 6' CBs, especially in the redzone.

Instead of trying to force Fleener into a WR position, the team could draft a quality WR prospect. That makes much more sense.

Last edited:

I know that the Pats aren't likely to draft a RB, but Robert Turbin from Utah State is a monster.. Guy has huge, broad sholders.. Totally jacked.. And made a nice adjustment on the passing drill they are doing for RBs

He also put up 28 reps in the bench press, so you know he works hard in the weight room.

He also put up 28 reps in the bench press, so you know he works hard in the weight room.

Curious if he runs like the battering ram he looks like or if he "plays like Jane"

But that is irrelevant. GT didn't run the high school offense they do now.

They've been running the Triple Option since Paul Johnson walked into town.

They've been running the Triple Option since Paul Johnson walked into town.

Which was 2008. After Chan Gailey left..

The members area of NFLDraftscout.com..

Thanks. I don't necessarily believe it, but it is a reputable source. Recievers just don't go from high school, to a glorified high school offense (GT) for three years, and come out a smart football mind.

I think Hill is a guaranteed first rounder after today. Teams that love physical tools will love this guy. The chargers, jets, niners, and bears come to mind.

I have no interest spending a first rounder on a guy unlikely to contribute here.

Doug Martin out of Boise St. not doing well in the RB receiving drills.. Dropped 2 easy ones..

Davin Meggett is totally jacked as well.. 5'8 3/4 and 211 lbs.. Any relation to Dave Meggett???

EDIT: Just saw that he is, in fact, the son of DAVE MEGGETT...

Last edited:

Which was 2008. After Chan Gailey left..

Which means the comparisons to Thomas are at least valid.

Just saw that Hill ran a 4.48 in the Short shuttle..

Which means the comparisons to Thomas are at least valid.

But means the comparisons to CJ are made by the uneducated. It;s not like Thomas is a great player anyway. He's only been good with Tebow and Denvers the triple option. Same offense he ran at GT.

He would suck here.

Just saw Hill do a standing triple backflip and then eat 450 buffalo wings.

But means the comparisons to CJ are made by the uneducated. It;s not like Thomas is a great player anyway. He's only been good with Tebow and Denvers the triple option. Same offense he ran at GT.

He would suck here.

I doubt that Thomas would suck anywhere. That kid's talented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe