PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Texans play tag with Clowney

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's Flowers and Clark as top DEs, right?

I'd rather tag and trade for a high second
Prove we weren't negotiating with him in good faith if we do the tag and trade.
That's reportedly what KC is doing with Ford.
I wouldn't be surprised they get in the Trey Flowers sweepstakes.

I'd rather tag and trade for a high second
You are counting on i) the Pats being willing to fix a high portion of their available cap space on the tag (and possibly preventing them from signing players if the negotiations drag out), ii) a team being willing to part with a high 2nd round pick for a player they know the Pats don't intend to keep at his supposed price tag , iii) Flowers not minding the Pats doing the tag-and-trade and not filing for grievance. A lot of ifs.

You are counting on i) the Pats being willing to fix a high portion of their available cap space on the tag (and possibly preventing them from signing players if the negotiations drag out), ii) a team being willing to part with a high 2nd round pick for a player they know the Pats don't intend to keep at his supposed price tag , iii) Flowers not minding the Pats doing the tag-and-trade and not filing for grievance. A lot of ifs.
Just saying if the Chiefs can do it I don't see why we couldn't

Just saying if the Chiefs can do it I don't see why we couldn't
The Chiefs are dumb.

Tagging him would use 3/4 of avail cap space.

If Flowers were to be franchised I suspect that Flowers might simply tell the team to get back to his agent after the draft. There is little that patriots could then do.

If Flowers were to sign in May or June, and then be traded, he would then file a grievance and play his 2019 season for whoever for $17.1M and be a free agent again next year.

There is very little reason for Flowers to cooperate with a patriot scheme to violate NFL rules when such cooperation wouldn't be in his personal interest.

BOTTOM LINE
If Flowers in franchised, he should expect to play 2019 for $17.1M and be a free agent next year.

If Flowers were to be franchised I suspect that Flowers might simply tell the team to get back to his agent after the draft. There is little that patriots could then do.

If Flowers were to sign in May or June, and then be traded, he would then file a grievance and play his 2019 season for whoever for $17.1M and be a free agent again next year.

There is very little reason for Flowers to cooperate with a patriot scheme to violate NFL rules when such cooperation wouldn't be in his personal interest.

BOTTOM LINE
If Flowers in franchised, he should expect to play 2019 for $17.1M and be a free agent next year.
So the franchise price is 17.1?
That's not terrible but I don't feel his is a 17.1 guy more like a 12 but I would go 14 for team continuity.

I don't know how much $$$$$ Justin Houston is looking for but I would be all over him if I was BB. Side note what's everybodys feeling on Bronco LB Shane Ray?? I know he's not a every down LB but could BB maximize what he does best he's a decent pass rusher and is very young.

I don't know how much $$$$$ Justin Houston is looking for but I would be all over him if I was BB. Side note what's everybodys feeling on Bronco LB Shane Ray?? I know he's not a every down LB but could BB maximize what he does best he's a decent pass rusher and is very young.

If Houston is released, I assume he would be looking for more than we are willing to pay unless he wants to play for a winner and beat the Chiefs considering he is now 30+ and wants to win the SB.

The wordplay in these thread titles is killing me.

I wouldn't be against Clay Matthews on a Two year pack and Draft and groom someone for the future. I think the Pats might have to keep Adrian Clayborn it might be a wise move he's somewhat undisciplined in his Rushes but if he can fix that we have a player. Adrian Clayborn could give us a better year two with more familiarity with the system.

If we can’t get Flowers back. He would be a good pick up.

...If Flowers in franchised, he should expect to play 2019 for $17.1M and be a free agent next year.
If Flowers is franchised, that would give both sides 4 months to work out a long-term contract extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back