PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Texans announce "themes" for 2013 home games; Pats game is "homecoming"

Re: Texans calling game at home vs. Pats as 'Homecoming Game'

Whatever they have to do to lose by less than three touchdowns.

hello-and-welcome-to-last-week.jpg

You can't make this **** up you'd think they would have learned something from last year lol. You can hate the patriots all you want but they are as professional of a team as they come. If you asked Belichick for a theme for each game he'd probably just give you home game #1, home game #2, home game #3 ect.

Re: Semi-OT: Texans announce "themes" for 2013 home games

Ed Reed is over the hill (according to most Ravens fans) and just had hip surgery. He is not the Ed Reed that had Brady's number years ago.

The Texans don't even know when Ed will get back on the field. And there's no guarantee that his style of play will fit their scheme. The fact that he can't tackle any more won't help either. I love Ed; nobody on that team deserved a ring more than he did; but I don't know that he's got much left.

how about ...Get our ***** handed to us again day?

Sounds alot better....

Lol. Let me clear this up a bit for you. This is not a homecoming game in the sense you think it is and the timing of the game vs Pats is simply coincidence. We have done this before, and the "homecoming" is where we bring past Houston NFL players and honor them at halftime. Thats all. We have a theme every home game of the season.

But make no mistake, you better believe the Texans will be looking forward to getting you guys on our turf this time. Cushing was just cleared by Dr Andrews yesterday and fuul go Thank God. He completely changes our Defense. J Joseph was hurt all last year also and is now finally 100%. Heck, even JJ Watt said he was hurt last year and is looking forward to seeing where he can take his game now. Our studs at each level will be full go and Ed Reed is just a compliment for the stretch run, as we drafted DJ Swearinger to patrol the box.

I know you probably think this game is going to be a cake. But its not going to be.

Lol. Let me clear this up a bit for you. This is not a homecoming game in the sense you think it is and the timing of the game vs Pats is simply coincidence.

Well I'm not sure what I should think it is because in the sense I think of "homecoming" games I think of high school and college games, not pro games. So what is this exactly?

The Texans wore letterman jackets last year against the Pats. The game against them in the regular season was massively hyped on MNF and the playoff was as well. The Texans have had the Pats circled since that playoff game. Whatever weird theme you guys want to call it, it's not a coincidence.

The Pats are the Texans' hump to get over just like the Texans are the Bengals' hump. Don't deny otherwise.

Blech.

Planet Hoosten is a really good, really well-run Team that seems to be On The Rise.

They're Young, they're Smart, they're Innovative...I like their Energy.

Nothing wrong with rubbing it in the faces of the Jets, Ravens, Broncos, and their Fans when Opportunity warrants.

But rubbing it the face of a good, young, and relatively classy Team and their Fans?? :confused:

To do that, I'd feel as if I was demeaning myself, to be honest with you.

It'd be one thing if some clown came over here and talked Smack.

But to go out'f your way to pick on a vanquished Foe?? :confused:

No personal disrespect intended, but that's kind of Pathetic. :nooo:

Lol. Let me clear this up a bit for you. This is not a homecoming game in the sense you think it is and the timing of the game vs Pats is simply coincidence.

We have done this before, and the "homecoming" is where we bring past Houston NFL players and honor them at halftime.

Thats all. We have a theme every home game of the season.

So, in other words, this a Ceremonial Affair where you at Planet Hoosten honor the Players who've contributed to your 50 rich Years of Professional FootBall History?

And you're doing so on the day that you play us??

Seems like Patriot Fans should be honored and appreciative, rather than embarrassingly derisive. :nooo:

Isn't Matt Schaub the QB of the Texans?

yep...he IS the QB of the Texans...Matt freakin' Schaub...change the vowels in his last name and he'd make a helluva frontman for ..

images

Lol. Let me clear this up a bit for you. This is not a homecoming game in the sense you think it is and the timing of the game vs Pats is simply coincidence. We have done this before, and the "homecoming" is where we bring past Houston NFL players and honor them at halftime. Thats all. We have a theme every home game of the season.

But make no mistake, you better believe the Texans will be looking forward to getting you guys on our turf this time. Cushing was just cleared by Dr Andrews yesterday and fuul go Thank God. He completely changes our Defense. J Joseph was hurt all last year also and is now finally 100%. Heck, even JJ Watt said he was hurt last year and is looking forward to seeing where he can take his game now. Our studs at each level will be full go and Ed Reed is just a compliment for the stretch run, as we drafted DJ Swearinger to patrol the box.

I know you probably think this game is going to be a cake. But its not going to be.

I don't think for one moment that this game is going to be a piece of cake. On the contrary, I see it as the game against the Texans as one of the Patriots' most formidable this season.

There are two issues with this marketing gimmick. First off homecoming games are traditionally scheduled against inferior opponents. The reason for this is to give those that don't attend on a weekly basis a positive experience (i.e., an easy win) and to hopefully entice them to follow the team more regularly. Over the years the concept of a homecoming game has morphed from an invite for out of town alumni and fans to that of an easy win over an overmatched opponent. The concept that a homecoming game would have made so much more sense had it been scheduled for the previous home game against Jacksonville (rather than versus New England) is not even worth debating, considering the disparity between the Patriots and the Jaguars.

If that is not enough then there is the recent history, from just seven months ago. The Texans wore their letterman jackets (the very same ones that they will be required to wear for this game) for the first of their two losses to the Patriots last year. Why in the world would the marketing department want to re-do a promotion that failed so miserably so soon, against the very same opponent?

Sure, go ahead and and have the homecoming event in order to honor former players; that is a great idea! However, the concept of doing it again - to the full extent of repeating the high school jackets - makes no sense when it is scheduled against the same team that you lost to when you last launched this promotion just a few months ago. Doing so brings bad memories for your team and your fan base, not good ones.

A major faux pas by the Texans' marketing and promotions group.

Last edited:
Well I'm not sure what I should think it is because in the sense I think of "homecoming" games I think of high school and college games, not pro games. So what is this exactly?

The Texans wore letterman jackets last year against the Pats. The game against them in the regular season was massively hyped on MNF and the playoff was as well. The Texans have had the Pats circled since that playoff game. Whatever weird theme you guys want to call it, it's not a coincidence.

The Pats are the Texans' hump to get over just like the Texans are the Bengals' hump. Don't deny otherwise.

Again, its the week that old players from Houston get to walk on the field and be honored, a coming home of sorts.

I agree with you on the hump and we get you at home this go. The pats have not exactly had the most advantageous of off seasons would you agree? We got another weapon for AJ, Schaub has had a full off season to work out, Foster quit twitter to rededicate himself :), yada, yada, yada...

So, in other words, this a Ceremonial Affair where you at Planet Hoosten honor the Players who've contributed to your 50 rich Years of Professional FootBall History?

And you're doing so on the day that you play us??

Seems like Patriot Fans should be honored and appreciative, rather than embarrassingly derisive. :nooo:

Yes, since Houston has had a pro team for basically the same amount of time as Boston.

I don't think for one moment that this game is going to be a piece of cake. On the contrary, I see it as the game against the Texans as one of the Patriots' most formidable this season.

There are two issues with this marketing gimmick. First off homecoming games are traditionally scheduled against inferior opponents. The reason for this is to give those that don't attend on a weekly basis a positive experience (i.e., an easy win) and to hopefully entice them to follow the team more regularly. Over the years the concept of a homecoming game has morphed from an invite for out of town alumni and fans to that of an easy win over an overmatched opponent. The concept that a homecoming game would have made so much more sense had it been scheduled for the previous home game against Jacksonville (rather than versus New England) is not even worth debating, considering the disparity between the Patriots and the Jaguars.

If that is not enough then there is the recent history, from just seven months ago. The Texans wore their letterman jackets (the very same ones that they will be required to wear for this game) for the first of their two losses to the Patriots last year. Why in the world would the marketing department want to re-do a promotion that failed so miserably so soon, against the very same opponent?

Sure, go ahead and and have the homecoming event in order to honor former players; that is a great idea! However, the concept of doing it again - to the full extent of repeating the high school jackets - makes no sense when it is scheduled against the same team that you lost to when you last launched this promotion just a few months ago. Doing so brings bad memories for your team and your fan base, not good ones.

A major faux pas by the Texans' marketing and promotions group.

I realize this is a slow time on the football calendar year. The organization had nothing to do with the letter jackets, which were the idea and facilitated by Connar Barwin, who is no longer even on this team.

If you really think these letter jackets, or tejano day, or liberty white day, or homecoming day, etc, etc.... Really have some major bearing on the outcome of these NFL games, then thats just going to be all you. The players could sho up in speedos for this one and its not going to change the damn outcome of the game. Relax.

See yall in a couple/few months.

Yes, since Houston has had a pro team for basically the same amount of time as Boston.

Wait. Are you saying the Oilers players will be there too?

I'm not being a smart-alek, I'm asking. Are people like billy "White Shoes" Johnson pissed off at the Tennessee move?

... The players could sho up in speedos for this one and its not going to change the damn outcome of the game. Relax.

That would get on Sports Center.:)

I realize this is a slow time on the football calendar year. The organization had nothing to do with the letter jackets, which were the idea and facilitated by Connar Barwin, who is no longer even on this team.

From what I read the players are going to be required to wear the letterman jackets as part of the promotion, regardless of how it came about last year.

If you really think these letter jackets, or tejano day, or liberty white day, or homecoming day, etc, etc.... Really have some major bearing on the outcome of these NFL games, then thats just going to be all you. The players could sho up in speedos for this one and its not going to change the damn outcome of the game. Relax.

I do firmly believe that motivation still plays an important part in the outcome of many NFL games. Belichick has long used the disrespect card to get the most from his players (e.g., when Bill Cowher told the Steeler players to get all Super Bowl details done in the week prior to the AFCCG against the Patriots).

Some more here: Texans schedule Patriots for Week 13 'Homecoming' game - CBSSports.com

But the Pats game really, really stands out. It's not sponsored; it simply says "Homecoming."

If there's some other logic behind this other than a similar premise to the letterman jackets, I'm happy to listen, but that's sure what it sounds like to me.

It was clear the Pats didn't appreciate the letterman jackets at the time.

"They look cute," a Patriots player told CBSSports.com's Mike Freeman of the Texans jackets. "They look like a high school swim team."

And it's unlikely they'll appreciate being listed as the "Homecoming" team on Houston's schedule. When you book homecoming in, ahem, high school or college, you almost always make sure to have the cream-puffiest team available coming into town.

The Patriots obviously aren't anywhere close to a pushover (not that any NFL team is) and they just got handed a big old bulletin board's worth of material with which to get pumped up for this varsity-level matchup.​

I think it is fantastic that the old-time players are being honored. I just think that either (a) a different term for the event should have been used, or (b) it should have been scheduled for the game against the Jaguars, and (c) the letter jackets should not have been revived.

We had just as many (probably more) players out due to injury or playing hurt last year when we played you. So that's an invalid excuse.

As far as Ed Reed, you may want to read the thoughts of a Ravens fan posted earlier in this thread. They seem to indicate that he is pretty much over the hill. And this is not from someone who is bitter that he left - it's from someone who still likes/respects him.

We never had gronk..........

The fact that I hate the texans so much I hope we crush you guys into little Texas hamburgers. And the hate has been fueled since your lb I believe nailed cutler illegally. Be ready for the patriots and your jackets.

But make no mistake, you better believe the Texans will be looking forward to getting you guys on our turf this time.
Yeah.... sure.... because when the Patriots beat the Texans twice last year by an average of 3 touchdowns, that was the difference in each game..... home field advantage...... :rolleyes:

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back