PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TEs in this draft???

My concern with Smith is that he doesn't have any room to grow, both physically and from a technique standpoint. That caps his upside to me. His tape is solid and he has been very well coached but ultimately he is an undersized TE who I think will have trouble against NFL competition in the run game. There seem to be a litany of Alabama prospects who look better than they are because of the coaching they receive and the talent they play with. I think Smith may be one of those.

With Warring, Knox, Sternberger etc there is obviously a higher ceiling when they get into an NFL programme and start to learn the intricacies of the TE position. That is attractive to me. I have no interest in Smith at 32. I'm not even convinced I like him in the 2nd yet tbh.

First preference is Hockenson with a trade up. If not, I avoid Fant and Smith and simply wait until the late second early 3rd to get into the next group of prospects.

Last edited:
Smith athletic profile is just fine when compared to the these 3 TE that finished in the NFL top 15 for yards last season.

Irv Smith - MockDraftable

Trey Burton - MockDraftable
Zach Ertz - MockDraftable (nice 3-cone, but slow)
Jordan Reed - MockDraftable

National Football League Stats - by Player Position | NFL.com

Smith doesn't have to be a superstar, just productive. And what he has demonstrated productively already, along with competent blocking, before reaching 21 years old is not as a risky proposition compared to other prospects in this draft.

My concern with Smith is that he profiles as Span HB rather than a Y TE and if that’s the case, he’s not a very athletic HB.

Speaking of not-a-Y-TE, anybody tempted by the most unique physical specimen of the draft, Donald Parham of Stetson? He's basically just an overgrown slot receiver, but at 6'8" with 36 1/8" arms and a 38.5" vertical, he'd take "red zone threat" to a whole new level.

Or maybe we should just pencil him in for Denver, where he'd be Jump Ball Joe's dream come true? :)

Speaking of not-a-Y-TE, anybody tempted by the most unique physical specimen of the draft, Donald Parham of Stetson? He's basically just an overgrown slot receiver, but at 6'8" with 36 1/8" arms and a 38.5" vertical, he'd take "red zone threat" to a whole new level.

Or maybe we should just pencil him in for Denver, where he'd be Jump Ball Joe's dream come true? :)

From Stetson College. Nah, he's a cowboy :)

Interesting profile though.

Poor CJ Conrad. It turns out he was not cleared to participate in Kentucky’s April 8 pro day. This has been an ongoing issue that kept him out of the East-West Shrine Bowl, the Combine, and now his pro day event.
Sounds like a priority free agent now.

I haven't looked at all the top TEs but i'm not really loving this class as much as some people. I only see 4 players with any real potential and everyone else is most probably going to be a backup. Of those 4 TEs I honestly only really like 3.

I haven't looked at all the top TEs but i'm not really loving this class as much as some people. I only see 4 players with any real potential and everyone else is most probably going to be a backup. Of those 4 TEs I honestly only really like 3.
Which 3?
I like Knox and Warring the most.

Warring is my fav
Hockenson is too expensive.
I like Warring and Knox double dip in the third.
Would be great for Hollister and Lacosse to make a impact.

In order

Warring
Hockenson
Sternberger

If I have to pick after that probably Fant. I think he has huge bust potential but everyone else imo has limited upside.

Nice group. As for Irv Smith, my problems with him are largely about value. I think he's a useful player, just not nearly worth the point he's currently projected to be drafted.

Meanwhile Warring is approaching binky status.

Warring’s Hands bother me. 56% catch rate and some bad drops at the combine.

I think Sternberger is going to be the pick. Not a blocker but they can teach that and he’s one of the best pass catchers in the group. Knox is my guy but Sternberger will be in my final list for Patchick’s game.

Nice group. As for Irv Smith, my problems with him are largely about value. I think he's a useful player, just not nearly worth the point he's currently projected to be drafted.

Meanwhile Warring is approaching binky status.

I honestly don't understand why everyone is so high on Irv Smith. Maybe I'm missing something? When I look at him I see a TE whose a good blocking and runs a nice seam route. That isn't anything uncommon in the NFL.

I wouldn't hate getting him late but to me using a pick in the first 2 rounds on him is crazy. I expect him to fall way further in this draft than a lot of the media experts predict.

I'm with the belief that this TE class is overrated too.

I just think the value on Irv Smith going in the second or third round is fine because he can catch consistently, w/decent blocking, which I think is more difficult than we're giving credit for or there would be a bigger market of TE free agent options for us right now.

If you take a look at last year's TE class for the Ravens of Hayden Hurst (1st rd.) and Mark Andrews (3rd rd.), Irv Smith's profile falls right inline with theirs, and they were able to contribute early (Hurst showed promise but was injured early) with Andrews leading the way chipping in 552 yards ranking 16th in the league overall.

NFL Draft & Combine Profile - Hayden Hurst | NFL.com

NFL Draft & Combine Profile - Mark Andrews | NFL.com

Sternberger, not Smith, is my favorite TE prospect who I think has the more promising future and whose blocking, which is passable now, will improve with more playing time.

I would feel comfortable drafting him in the 2nd or 3rd round too.

I honestly don't understand why everyone is so high on Irv Smith. Maybe I'm missing something? When I look at him I see a TE whose a good blocking and runs a nice seam route. That isn't anything uncommon in the NFL.

I wouldn't hate getting him late but to me using a pick in the first 2 rounds on him is crazy. I expect him to fall way further in this draft than a lot of the media experts predict.

Actually, from what I've seen, most people aren't that high on Smith.. They see him as the poor man's consolation prize..

Actually, from what I've seen, most people aren't that high on Smith.. They see him as the poor man's consolation prize..
He's an HB, DB, not the kind of true TE that we've obviously had the last decade. Think Aaron Hernandez, but without the quick feet.

He's a good player, no doubt, but I wonder how he'd fit in with the current offensive system. I think most people think, as do I, he'd be a reach in the first round, and not impactful enough to be worth our first, OR moving up in the 2nd to get him.

Neither Warring, Knox, or Sternberger are Gronk replacements either, but all three have higher ceilings and would POTENTIALLY could be effective as a true inline TE. And at least ONE and possibly 2 of them should be there where the Pats draft in those first 3 rounds. And all 3 should be there if the Pats like one of them enough to move up for a particular favorite in the 2nd.

What this team needs right now is a physical presence down field. At 6'2, Smith isn't that guy.

All that being said, I'd love him as the complimentary piece, like Hernandez was to Gronk. However the chances of getting him PLUS one of BD's top 3 isn't very likely, though I still look for the Pats to double dip at the position within the first 4 rounds.

Watching video on him, he looks pretty athletic as far as a pass catcher. Could be an insane red zone target, throw it up and nobody can battle him.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back