PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TEs in this draft???

If we don't move up in the first, I think it quite likely that we draft 2 TE's before the end of the 3rd.
:) [that is unless we sign a free agent, in which case, we'll only draft one TE in the first 100 or so picks]

He's an HB, DB, not the kind of true TE that we've obviously had the last decade. Think Aaron Hernandez, but without the quick feet.

He's a good player, no doubt, but I wonder how he'd fit in with the current offensive system. I think most people think, as do I, he'd be a reach in the first round, and not impactful enough to be worth our first, OR moving up in the 2nd to get him.

Neither Warring, Knox, or Sternberger are Gronk replacements either, but all three have higher ceilings and would POTENTIALLY could be effective as a true inline TE. And at least ONE and possibly 2 of them should be there where the Pats draft in those first 3 rounds. And all 3 should be there if the Pats like one of them enough to move up for a particular favorite in the 2nd.

What this team needs right now is a physical presence down field. At 6'2, Smith isn't that guy.

All that being said, I'd love him as the complimentary piece, like Hernandez was to Gronk. However the chances of getting him PLUS one of BD's top 3 isn't very likely, though I still look for the Pats to double dip at the position within the first 4 rounds.

Last edited:
If we don't move up in the first, I think it quite likely that we draft 2 TE's before the end of the 3rd.
:) [that is unless we sign a free agent, in which case, we'll only draft one TE in the fist 100 or so picks]

Poorly timed post :)

I posted in the ASJ thread on the main board that ASJ ranked 6th in run blocking last year. I think that makes it more likely that someone like Sternberger or Josh Oliver is the pick.

I posted in the ASJ thread on the main board that ASJ ranked 6th in run blocking last year. I think that makes it more likely that someone like Sternberger or Josh Oliver is the pick.

Doesn’t preclude Fant of course if he falls into the twenties. ASJ in-line and Fant in the slot would be an interesting combination.

Doesn’t preclude Fant of course if he falls into the twenties. ASJ in-line and Fant in the slot would be an interesting combination.

Fant is the best deep seam route runner in this draft. Followed by sternburger and smith.

For me ASJ is a replacement for Allen. He doesn't block quite as well, but he is adequate in the passing game. I presume someone like LeCosse as our 3rd, often inactive TE. Obviously, he is necessary in case of injury to ASJ.
============
If Gronk, an Allen who had some receptions, and a Hollister were OK for 2018, who would be the best choices for TE now that we have ASJ and LeCosse/Hollister?
==========
Is Sternberger right? or Oliver? or Knox? or who?
====
A THOUGHT
Perhaps being NFL ready is most important. If not, ASJ can be the Game One starter.

For me ASJ is a replacement for Allen. He doesn't block quite as well, but he is adequate in the passing game. I presume someone like LeCosse as our 3rd, often inactive TE. Obviously, he is necessary in case of injury to ASJ.
============
If Gronk, an Allen who had some receptions, and a Hollister were OK for 2018, who would be the best choices for TE now that we have ASJ and LeCosse/Hollister?
==========
Is Sternberger right? or Oliver? or who?

Fant came in for a visit today and BB was at ‘Bama for Irv Smith’s pro day. Having someone who plays the Y in ASJ enables them to go with a less conventional TE like Smith or Fant.

I see TE as much less of a need. ASJ and Lacosse are not an imposing tandem, but it is a more than respectable TE group.

Really, what needs to be replaced in 2019 is Gronk's blocking. I'm a big fan of Dawson Knox as an athletic, mauler of a TE who could eventually develop into a pass catcher role.

Fant came in for a visit today and BB was at ‘Bama for Irv Smith’s pro day. Having someone who plays the Y in ASJ enables them to go with a less conventional TE like Smith or Fant.

How do you like Oliver for that role? Talk about a hands catcher! His QB was woefully inaccurate but that gave Oliver a chance to show off his tracking and catching skills.

How do you like Oliver for that role? Talk about a hands catcher! His QB was woefully inaccurate but that gave Oliver a chance to show off his tracking and catching skills.

Hockenson
Fant
—————

Sternberger
Knox
Smith
——————

Warring
Oliver
—————-

Sample
Moreau
Wesco

Those are my tiers.

Hockenson
Fant
—————

Sternberger
Knox
Smith
——————

Warring
Oliver
—————-

Sample
Moreau
Wesco

Those are my tiers.

Almost exactly where I'm at, through I'd swap Knox and Moreau (but that's purely preference). I enjoyed watching Oliver snag the ball from the air. Gordon-like approach to catching.

Well this would be depressing re Sample

The more I watch, the more I see our own players in these guys. Irv Smith is starting to really remind me of a faster Dwayne Allen, but a little weaker. And if we take Smith, I'd expect him to be primarily a blocker just like Allen was. Sternberger reminds me alot of Jacob Hollister. So far, Hollister has just been a tease and has caused me to hate Sternberger lol. I like the athletic potential I see from Knox to be the closest we are going to get from this draft class to replace Gronk.

Just watched a lot of video on Smith.

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan.

If the Patriots are going to pick a 6-2, 240-pound TE in the 1st round, I think they'd have to be pretty convinced that he was non-psychopathic version of Aaron Hernandez. And Irv Smith is NOT Aaron Hernandez.

I honestly think he's more of an H-back than a true TE. He's not a great in line blocker, he's frequently the last player to move when the ball is snapped, and I don't think he's got great change of direction skills.

I wouldn't consider him before #73, and I don't think he'll be there.

Surprised more aren't on him tbh. Talked about him a few times in the thread. Like you said about his QB he showed off body control & some agility every game making catches.

Natural hands

Plays W this attitude & fire so I'm guessing his blocking can be a + at some point.

Built like a tank at 6'5/250 & ran a 4.64. Big hands. Looks the part.

Him & Stanley Morgon are 2 prospects I think would be perfect fits here. Much needed positions & skill sets.

Just watched a lot of video on Smith.

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan.

If the Patriots are going to pick a 6-2, 240-pound TE in the 1st round, I think they'd have to be pretty convinced that he was non-psychopathic version of Aaron Hernandez. And Irv Smith is NOT Aaron Hernandez.

I honestly think he's more of an H-back than a true TE. He's not a great in line blocker, he's frequently the last player to move when the ball is snapped, and I don't think he's got great change of direction skills.

I wouldn't consider him before #73, and I don't think he'll be there.

I'm not a big Irv Smith fan, but he doesn't have to be Hernandez. He could be a more productive Trey Burton, if he is, and that would be an upgrade from Jacob Hollister or Stephen Anderson who are also H-back types on our current TE corps.

NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Trey Burton

NFL Draft & Combine Profile - Irv Smith | NFL.com

Last edited:
Surprised more aren't on him tbh. Talked about him a few times in the thread. Like you said about his QB he showed off body control & some agility every game making catches.

Natural hands

Plays W this attitude & fire so I'm guessing his blocking can be a + at some point.

Built like a tank at 6'5/250 & ran a 4.64. Big hands. Looks the part.

Him & Stanley Morgon are 2 prospects I think would be perfect fits here. Much needed positions & skill sets.

If we don't get a shot at a do it all type like Gronk, Oliver is my vote for a mid round move TE who can potentially develop a more well rounded game. He just catches so cleanly.

If we don't get a shot at a do it all type like Gronk, Oliver is my vote for a mid round move TE who can potentially develop a more well rounded game. He just catches so cleanly.
Yea I think someone will fall in love. The way he catches, adjust & potential yac/rz threat. I wouldn't be shocked to see him come off as early as TE3/4.

I didn't realize that ASJ was such a good run-blocker..

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back