PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ted Johnson: “Mac maybe saved Bill’s legacy”

It's a dumb and lazy argument. The next QB to win games under Bill whether it's Mac or someone else, the anti-Bill crowd was going to say "insert name" is saving Bill's legacy. Or Bill got lucky again for getting "insert name".
Bill could go 0-17 every year from now on and it won't do a thing to his legacy.

Another spygate or cheating scandal would, but you also could say the same about Brady or any player.

BB's legacy as the best NFL coach ever is not going to change.

It's just fun to see if he can win another ring especially in reaction to what Brady just did. I hope he does it again. Guys who still keep going like this for 12 hours a day after 8 coaching rings, are just straight up competitive machines and want to win as much as possible.

Adding Mac certainly makes this possible.

BB is 42 wins away. If the Pats finish with 10 wins this season he'll be 38 away. If Bill has 4 years left to coach after this season that means he can beat the record in 2025. But I don't think BB will stick around that long.

He's 30 wins away from Shula if you count postseason. That record is way more doable IMO.
Like George Costanza, I think he'd like to go out on a high-note

To be fair though, some people on this very board were claiming the same thing thing just 2 months ago. It was all Brady, Bill should be fired etc.

It was always a dumb take even when the Bucs won a super bowl and the Patriots limped to 7-9. I always said look at both rosters.
FIFY

I’m sitting here listening to a Zoom of my company’s board meeting. The CFO is currently droning on about inflation and market conditions. I absolutely have some time for outrage.
For meetings in which i'm a passive listener I post.

For meetings in which i'm an active listener I sometimes post.

Just breaks up the day.

Ted really hates this guy. What’s the backstory on why he’s got so much beef with Bill? I’ve heard something to do with an injury.

There’s also some other funny quotes in the article.

He was one of my favorite LB’s back in the day, but he’s been really bitter for some time.

Without having read the thread responses yet, it goes way back to his playing days.. lots of rumors that Belichick and the coaching staff were old school, encouraging players to practice even with concussions etc... Granted, this was before the whole concussion awareness and was pretty rampant throughout the league

I thought i remember Ted Johnson having some early signs of dementia or something in his 40s

Not sure how true it all is, etc.. but i think that could be where some of the beef comes from

For meetings in which i'm a passive listener I post.

For meetings in which i'm an active listener I sometimes post.

Just breaks up the day.
One of the silver linings of the pandemic is that these meetings no longer need to be attended in-person. You can just turn your camera and sound off and listen for key parts while you **** around.

This is the Brady/BB argument all over again.

BB drafted Tom. Tom succeeded and the team won.

BB drafted Cassel. Cassel succeeded and the team won.

BB drafted Jimmy. Jimmy succeeded and the team won.

BB drafted Mac. Mac succeeded and the team won.

There is a trend here.

BB identifies, drafts, develops and gets the most out of players that help the team win. Some are GOATs. Some are functional QBs. One is on an absurd trajectory to having a great career.

Johnson is a bitter turdball. Bianca Wilfork agrees.

Not to mention the fact that Brady won a Super Bowl with a stacked roster......assembled by a Belichick offspring.

Let's stick Brady on the Lions, Jets, or Jags and see what happens.

I remember the story about TJ and the signals. Weird that I haven't heard anything like that from anyone else other than him. Not saying he's lying but maybe there's a missing part of that story that isn't being told.
An anonymous source, too? Why would he trust them? Couldn't that be sabotage?

He blamed Bill for playing him when he was not ready after sustaining an injury. Bill admitted later to Ted he screwed up. May have affected Ted's long term health.

Also, he said his experience negotiating with Bill on a new contract was a nightmare. Might explain why things with Brady went south.

The flip side to all this is that Ted Johnson was/is no choirboy. He had some odd connective tissue injuries suggesting PED or steroid use that might have exacerbated other problems. IIRC he ruptured biceps tendons in both arms. And yes, he has an obvious hard-on for BB that isn't serving him well as a broadcaster.

One of the silver linings of the pandemic is that these meetings no longer need to be attended in-person. You can just turn your camera and sound off and listen for key parts while you **** around.
Yea I pretty much have my camera on all of the time. I'm one of those people. Shows engagement when i'm actually not engaging lol.

I have my mic off b/c my goddamn dogs bark when they see a freaking squirrel.

The flip side to all this is that Ted Johnson was/is no choirboy. He had some odd connective tissue injuries suggesting PED or steroid use that might have exacerbated other problems. IIRC he ruptured biceps tendons in both arms. And yes, he has an obvious hard-on for BB that isn't serving him well as a broadcaster.
He juiced. No question. Most did.

As for Bill without Brady... Nobody cares that Chuck Noll didn't win anything without Bradshaw and Walsh didn't win without Montana. Both are still considered all time great coaches and rightfully so.

So if Bill doesn't win another SB that won't do anything to his legacy.

Shula is regarded as one of the all time great coaches even though he never won a SB with Marino. If winning a championship together is too high a standard to hold a coach-QB combo to, consider that, after losing the '85 AFCCG, the Dolphins missed the playoffs for the next 4 seasons, with Marino playing every game. Imagine the flak Brady and Belichick would get if they had zero playoff appearances from say, 2009 through 2012.

As for the story about the sheet of opponent's audibles, I don't doubt Johnson received something like that as game prep. The thing is, there's nothing sinister about it. You can hear a QB's audibles by watching them on TV. Someone noted earlier in the thread that, if a team doesn't change their signals very often, someone scouting them can determine a particular personnel group paired with a particular audible means they're running Play X. Considering how people lose their minds any time the words "Patriots" and "signals" are put together, it was almost comical to see the lack of reaction when the Seattle defenders said they knew the Broncos audibles after shutting them down in SB 48. As John Clayton said about the Dolphins stealing signals, "that's just football."

Yea I pretty much have my camera on all of the time. I'm one of those people. Shows engagement when i'm actually not engaging lol.

I have my mic off b/c my goddamn dogs bark when they see a freaking squirrel.

I dread getting unexpected calls from co-workers and they have their camera on. I'm dressed where it's comfortable for me to practice my golf swing so it's active wear all day. Luckily my supervisor doesn't really care for cameras as well so there's no policy in our department for it.

Good ol Brain Dead Ted Johnson. Anyone who thought a legacy was ruined becuase a coach has to rebuild a team is either stupid or does not know football. Its a shame that people choose to try and tear down the best to ever do it. It would have been the same for brady too. If he went to tampa and didnt do well and they lost, and Bill won a superbowl with Cam, brady woudl be trashed in the media. They already had the story written it was just who they were going to write it about. No other coach or player are held to the standards of Bill and Brady.

I dread getting unexpected calls from co-workers and they have their camera on. I'm dressed where it's comfortable for me to practice my golf swing so it's active wear all day. Luckily my supervisor doesn't really care for cameras as well so there's no policy in our department for it.
Yea when I have the camera/mic off I'll practice my 3,6 and 9 footers in my home office.

TJ openly states how much he hates BB. During the early season struggles his takes were so obviously biased and personal that I could not listen to him for very long. He and the other idiots were making the case that BB had lost it because the mistakes the entire team was making reflected bad coaching. Now that those issues have been cleaned up and the TEAM is playing well the story is that the QB is saving BB's legacy? Sounds to me like more BS.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back