PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tankathon

Doesn't seem right that Washington would get a better pick than us. They beat us, damn it, we earned this
Would love for there to be a head-to-head/SOS combo buffer. Like, head-to-head comes first, unless one team has a SOS deficit of more than .050, at which time the worse team gets the higher pick. If there’s less than .050 SOS between both teams (which it would be way less than that between NE and WSH) then head-to-head takes precedence.

It's bizarre - What I'm getting from the official rules is that the conference tiebreaker doesn't apply if they're not in the same conference, but it sounds like I may be wrong here (subject to ctpatsfan77's post) . Note that the below has no mention of conference before the following rules:

If the teams have the same strength of schedule, division or conference tiebreakers are applied. If the divisional or conference tiebreakers are not applicable, or ties still exist between teams of different conferences, ties will be broken the following tie-breaking method:
  1. 1. Head-to-head, if applicable

According to Pro Football Network, if teams from different conferences are tied on Strength of Schedule, you ignore division and conference record.

Non-Conference Tiebreaking Procedures​

If two teams from separate conferences are tied in terms of record and strength of schedule, then a third set of tiebreaking procedures needs to be used. The main difference here is that conference records are disposed of, moving up the common games tiebreaker to No. 2.

The margin is wafer thin.
sddefault.jpg

NFL Rules:
"If the teams have the same strength of schedule, division or conference tiebreakers are applied. If the divisional or conference tiebreakers are not applicable, or ties still exist between teams of different conferences, ties will be broken the following tie-breaking method:

1. Head-to-head, if applicable..."
So, if Washington & NE do in fact tie on strength of schedule, then it goes to division.
There are three sets of tiebreaking rules. One for teams in the same division, another for teams in different divisions of the same conference, and a third for teams in different conferences. The latter applies to WAS and NE, and that starts with head-to-head as the first tiebreaker. [On Tankathon, WAS is #2 because their opponents' combined record, as I type this, is 139-131 vs. the Patriots' 138-130, which is about .0001 worse. IOW, for Tankathon, they are not tied.]

So what really gives you the better pick position? Strong or weak SOS? Was Confused.
Never mind, got it now.

What would it take for us to get this Jake Downing fellow? Is he any good or just the product of offensive talent?

What would it take for us to get this Jake Downing fellow? Is he any good or just the product of offensive talent?
Maybe get the better version of Chase in MHJr?

All of a sudden that ******** win last week is looking mighty huge right about now.

We could of had the second pick wrapped up and enjoyed a Jets ass whooping heading into the off-season with the QB of the future waiting in the wings.

But what do I know.

Not sure about that. Here are the tie-breakers. Division and conference don't apply. Interconference:
Pats 0-5
WAS 2-3

View attachment 55572

It's bizarre - What I'm getting from the official rules is that the conference tiebreaker doesn't apply if they're not in the same conference, but it sounds like I may be wrong here (subject to ctpatsfan77's post) . Note that the below has no mention of conference before the following rules:

If the teams have the same strength of schedule, division or conference tiebreakers are applied. If the divisional or conference tiebreakers are not applicable, or ties still exist between teams of different conferences, ties will be broken the following tie-breaking method:
  1. 1. Head-to-head, if applicable

No, @venecol , @Ross12 and @ctpatsfan77 are right - I had to extend the decimal places, which is the current factor. What throws things off is that division opponents are projected and counted twice until the second meetings are played, which @Ross12 and I figured out previously based on how Tankathon tracks it.

And the league lists the conference records as a tie-breaker, but it is based on their own conferences, etc. So in the case, it would then come down to head-to-head, common opponents, etc.

All of a sudden that ******** win last week is looking mighty huge right about now.

We could of had the second pick wrapped up and enjoyed a Jets ass whooping heading into the off-season with the QB of the future waiting in the wings.

But what do I know.
Frickin Ryland.

We need to lose against the Jets

But what do I know.
With Lowe and Mafi manning our left side, we may get shut out next week.

There are three sets of tiebreaking rules. One for teams in the same division, another for teams in different divisions of the same conference, and a third for teams in different conferences. The latter applies to WAS and NE, and that starts with head-to-head as the first tiebreaker. [On Tankathon, WAS is #2 because their opponents' combined record, as I type this, is 139-131 vs. the Patriots' 138-130, which is about .0001 worse. IOW, for Tankathon, they are not tied.]
So if the Steelers and Bengals both win (both currently leading), it's 139-131 a piece, right?

So if the Steelers and Bengals both win (both currently leading), it's 139-131 a piece, right?
Geez - I didn't even think that the Bengals could possibly win this game...

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back