PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tampa to cut Griese, possible vetran QB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously trying to sneak O'Connell onto the PS would have been an EPIC FAIL, but if he was so raw, why did they keep him as #2 and Gutierrez as #3?

You act as though Gutz is some great alternative. Perhaps it spoke more of him than O'Connell.

I wouldn't have been comfortable with O'Connell last year, but IMO a 3rd rounder who's not ready to be a backup in his second year is behind schedule.

Echo the other "No thanks" comments..... KO'C is the backup QB now. Griese doesn't add anything here. Zip. Nada. Zilch. Lugatso.

:yeahthat::agree::ditto:

Obviously trying to sneak O'Connell onto the PS would have been an EPIC FAIL, but if he was so raw, why did they keep him as #2 and Gutierrez as #3?

Well, there have been theories bandied about ranging from him doing well to the team worried about Cassel's confidence when the decision was made. Personally, I don't pretend to know and I don't care. What I do care about is the possibility of having a QB who can keep the team afloat for 4-6 games if needed. If Brady goes down for the year again, you an call the season but, if he were to go down due to a more limited injury, I want someone who can keep the team treading water.

Personally, I don't see Gut as that guy, so it really depends on where the team thinks O'Connell is in his development.

As an aside, I did read somewhere that Brady and Griese weren't the best of friends, which would seem a bit problematic, but I didn't research it and I don't know how valid that assertion is. It doesn't matter much to me, because Griese's just a name for me. I'm talking concept far more than specific person.

As an aside, I did read somewhere that Brady and Griese weren't the best of friends, which would seem a bit problematic, but I didn't research it and I don't know how valid that assertion is. It doesn't matter much to me, because Griese's just a name for me. I'm talking concept far more than specific person.

I heard something about that too, but I recall hearing it happened at Michigan. Something about Griese getting the job because of his dad, and Brady being pissed about it. I would think both men have matured beyond that in the 9+ years since that, but it's all hearsay.

Well, there have been theories bandied about ranging from him doing well to the team worried about Cassel's confidence when the decision was made. Personally, I don't pretend to know and I don't care. What I do care about is the possibility of having a QB who can keep the team afloat for 4-6 games if needed. If Brady goes down for the year again, you an call the season but, if he were to go down due to a more limited injury, I want someone who can keep the team treading water.

Personally, I don't see Gut as that guy, so it really depends on where the team thinks O'Connell is in his development.

Yeah, I don't see much wrong with having an experienced #3 behind KOC--it's certainly going to at least be considered I'm sure. And I agree, to quote Deus, it's all about the concept, not any specific player. With the weapons at WR, a seasoned vet could, indeed, help us stay afloat. I don't think it's about Greise (or another vet) vs. KOC, I think it's about Greise (or another vet) vs. Gutz. I think most of us are in agreement for KOC at #2, but if he went down or wasn't working out, it'd be nice to have someone with decent experience. Certainly not the craziest of ideas.

For me there are two different issues
1) How many quarterbacks are we planning to carry on the 53-man roster.
2) If the answer is THREE, then who is best player available at a reasonable price to fill that roster spot.

I'm fine if we plan on keeping two quarterbacks. However, if we are keeping three, I'd much rather see a veteran like Griese make the squad than Gut.

I'll take the veteran with proven success over the young quarterbacks with no experience at the NFL level every single time.

Think Billy Volek, Charlie Batch, Byron Leftwich, Kerry Collins.

You don't want to hand the keys of your brand new mustang to someone who just got their license.

Brian Griese needs to be in New England.

Last edited:
I'll take the veteran with proven success over the young quarterbacks with no experience at the NFL level every single time.

You don't want to hand the keys of your brand new mustang to someone who just got their license.

None of those players won a Super Bowl after they had to step in, and none of them had a better season than Matt Cassel did last year. If you have a young kid you have faith in, you might as well use him. Besides, as has been mentioned, Griese would be coming in as a third QB, not a backup, so the keys wouldn't be handed to him.

The last time someone handed the keys to their NFL vehicle to Griese and didn't regret it was 5 years ago. The last two teams (whose playbooks he knew well) to do so in 12 combined games watched him throw 15 TD's and 19 INTS and get sacked 12 times.

We don't know what KOC will do if called upon, but somehow I don't imagine it would be much worse than that...

NFL - Sources: Bucs expected to cut Griese loose - FOX Sports on MSN

One possibility is New England. Griese was a college teammate of Tom Brady at Michigan and the Patriots are without an experienced backup after trading Matt Cassel to Kansas City earlier this offseason. Kevin O'Connell (a 2008 third-round pick), Matt Gutierrez and rookie free agent Brian Hoyer are the only quarterbacks on the team's roster. Rookie Julian Edelman, a Kent State quarterback selected in the seventh round, is listed as a wide receiver on the Patriots' web site.

He would be "insurance" if O'Connell is not ready. I think if the Pats don't sign him, that syas more about what they think of O'Connell than Greise. He is a more than capable back-up QB.

If he's signed, here's to hoping he never sees the field! :eat3:

Rather than sign a veteran with no experience in the Pats system,

I think the Pats will prefer O'Connell and Gutierrez who do have some

experience.

Let's put this very simply. I think it a huge, huge reach to believe that Gutierrez would be better than a veteran that we might sign and who would have experience throughout camp and the preseason. But even if this were so, it may be worth finding out.

Rather than sign a veteran with no experience in the Pats system,

I think the Pats will prefer O'Connell and Gutierrez who do have some

experience.

I linked to thi in the other thread (about Tampa players reuniting in NE) because I am to new to the boards and can't start a thread yet.

One of these days I'll make it, lol.

Anyway, Brian Griese would be a fantastic addition. In a year that Brady is coming off of a serious knee injury the Patriots should have a veteran QB in the fold. I was disappointed they didn't go after Leftwich, but Griese would be just fine.

Bill doesn't consider a player a "veteran" until he's had 8 years in the league, and preferably some success...

He almost signed Tim Rattay and/or Chris Simms last year.

There are other qbs that were signed in the past (during BB era) that weren't exactly successful.

Jim Miller and John Freisz come to mind.

He almost signed Tim Rattay and/or Chris Simms last year.

There are other qbs that were signed in the past (during BB era) that weren't exactly successful.

Jim Miller and John Freisz come to mind.

No. . . . he brought them in for look-sees, no more, no less.

No, the best backup QB on the final roster should be the clear cut #2 after TFB.

Therefore, Kevin O'Connell should be the clear cut #2 after TFB. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick