PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Taking a look at 2021 Patriots HOF possibilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looks like this is Wes Welker's first year of eligibility, I hope he gets in this year. I just finished reading Darkness to Dynasty, and definitely think Chuck Fairbanks and Bill Parcells deserve a shot too.
Chuck Fairbanks?
Are you high?

Fairbanks pro football resume from Wikipedia....

Fairbanks was also the head coach for the New England Patriots of the National Football League (NFL) from 1973 to 1978, amassing a record of 46–41 (.529), and for the New Jersey Generals of the United States Football League (USFL) in 1983, tallying a mark of 6–12.

Looks like this is Wes Welker's first year of eligibility, I hope he gets in this year. I just finished reading Darkness to Dynasty, and definitely think Chuck Fairbanks and Bill Parcells deserve a shot too.

No offense, but anytime I see a Pats fan recommend Tuna Crap for the Pats HOF I get sick.
-The guy worked behind the scenes with the jete for a whole year while he was coaching the Pats.
-After the SB, which he helped us lose by repeatedly kicking the ball to Desmond Howard, he bolted and didn't fly back with the team.
-He worked a poison pill contract with Curtis Martin to get him to leave with him to go to the jete.
-After leaving he claimed that he didn't get to shop for the groceries but took credit for drafting the players that he himself said he didn't get to draft.

Prior to his time in NE he rode Belichick's defenses to the only true success that he had as a HC. He was great at picking his spots though, by taking jobs with teams that couldn't go anywhere but up.

As for darkness to dynasty, the Pats had a SB caliber team in the 70's (robbed by Ben Dreith in 76), 80's (met the greatest defense ever) and 90's (the one Tuna pi55ed away) and didn't become a dynasty until the B&B show came to town.

I'd put Pete Carroll in the Pats HOF before Tuna Jerk.

Last edited:
As a disclaimer, I've always been an out-of-state fan who picked the Patriots in 2004 when I was 6 and watching my first SB because of the colors. So I don't have any of this first hand knowledge of the team like diehard old-timers. I knew all that from the book, but intentionally skipped the Packers SB chapter so I could watch the game myself first.

Frankly, these are grown-ass men and I don't give a **** about their emotional drama in the past. At a certain point you need to consider the results. By all accounts, Fairbanks and Parcells brought success to the Patriots in a way no other coach before Belichick did, except maybe Ron Meyers. That has to count for something. Apparently someone's been nominating him.

Who do you should get in then?

Last edited:
I agree only on Chuck Fairbanks

Fairbanks quit on the team in the middle of a season when the Pats had a good chance going into the playoffs. On his way out he made sure we all knew that he didn't think much of our area. F him. Same goes for Tuna, for a similar reason.

To me it is an absolute travesty that Julius Adams is not in already. Before Hannah was drafted I thought that other than Plunkett, Adams was the best player on the team. I also would love to see Mosi Tatupu in there. Upsetting to me that both would be posthumous entries.

He coached the team to what easily could have been a Super Bowl in the '76 season though.

What's your alternative ticket look like?
Alternative three person ticket:
Seymour
Vrabel
Milloy

Winner: Seymour. Best player on the defensive line for 3 SB championships which were mostly led by the defense. Going to be an NFL hall of famer soon based mostly on his New England resume, not Raider resume. Far and away the best and most deserving player on the ballot.

Fairbanks quit on the team in the middle of a season when the Pats had a good chance going into the playoffs. On his way out he made sure we all knew that he didn't think much of our area. F him. Same goes for Tuna, for a similar reason.

To me it is an absolute travesty that Julius Adams is not in already. Before Hannah was drafted I thought that other than Plunkett, Adams was the best player on the team. I also would love to see Mosi Tatupu in there. Upsetting to me that both would be posthumous entries.
Disagree about Fairbanks...After 5-1/2 years, I also might've tired of the Sullivan Family Circus dropping their elephant sh!t on me...I am more forgiving of his departure than I am of Parcells'...

Completely, unequivocally agree about Julius Adams...He should've been voted into the NEP HOF immediately after Houston Antwine was elected...It would be an absolute travesty if Richard Seemore gets into it before the Jewel does.

Interesting. I'm trying to learn more about the pre-Belichick Patriots which is all I've known.

After 5-1/2 years, I also might've tired of the Sullivan Family Circus dropping their elephant sh!t on me...I am more forgiving of his departure than I am of Parcells'...

Exactly. In Tales from the Patriots Sideline and Darkness to Dynasty, it's abundantly clear that everything started with the Sullivans' bungling of Leon Gray and John Hannah's contract. Nothing was personal with Fairbanks—he was just trying to do his job. When the Sullivans' got in the way he decided to move on. It didn't help that the concept of a contract didn't mean much to Fairbanks either.

Last edited:
He coached the team to what easily could have been a Super Bowl in the '76 season though.
Hall of Could Have Been ?

0-2 in playoffs... call the bust maker

Maybe Chuck could lend to the Hall the college coaching contract he signed secretly during the middle of his last Pats season

1a - Julius Adams
1b - Richard Seymour edit: the linked article is old. 2020 voting has already taken place, and Seymour was voted in. We are just waiting for the enshrinement ceremony.

After that I would put either Vrabel or Welker next.

Since entrance to the Pats HoF is based on fan voting, Fairbanks is only going to get in via the Senior Committee. The only person to buck that trend was Raymond Clayborn - but there was a lot of talk that year informing younger fans how he was deserving of the honor, and it was the fourth consecutive year as a finalist for Clayborn at that point.

Three people have gained entry via the Senior Committee, and the next one is not due until 2023. That could set off an interesting debate between Fairbanks, Larry Eisenhauer, Russ Francis, Fred Marion and a few others (assuming Julius Adams gets in before then).

I was responding to the other guy. In the original post I said I wanted Welker to get in, and he replied "I only agree on Chuck Fairbanks."
Aahh. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots