PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots HOF nominees

The most LB friendly team in the NFL kicked him to the curb (Pittsburgh). He ended up being a product of Bill and others around him. He benefitted from having the best 3 man front in the NFL for his entire stint in NE and an established supporting cast, so he wasn't the highest priority for Offensive Coordinators. He only made one Pro Bowl and One All-Pro in a season where teams abandoned the run game for a majority of the season and teams worrying about Seymour, Colvin and Adalius Thomas in the front 7 alone (2007). Had he not had the supporting cast he did and team success, we wouldn't even be talking about him.

The most LB friendly team in the NFL kicked him to the curb (Pittsburgh). He ended up being a product of Bill and others around him. He benefitted from having the best 3 man front in the NFL for his entire stint in NE and an established supporting cast, so he wasn't the highest priority for Offensive Coordinators. He only made one Pro Bowl and One All-Pro in a season where teams abandoned the run game for a majority of the season and teams worrying about Seymour, Colvin and Adalius Thomas in the front 7 alone (2007). Had he not had the supporting cast he did and team success, we wouldn't even be talking about him.
Not the answer I was expecting... nice take down, all in all... Food for thought.

So happy Welker didn't make finalist. However, I would much rather see him in over Mankins or Tuna. I don't want either of those two in ever. Welker getting in sometime in the 2030's works for me.

Vrabel time.

Next year, Kraft can make an executive decision to put Julius Adams in and end the disgrace that is this slight on Patriots history.

After that, guys like Edelman, White, Vinatieri, Gronk, and Brady will start being eligible.

So it shall be.

You hold it against him that Pittsburg eff'd up?
groundhog day wtf GIF

Vrabel is deserving. Other teams looked past him, and he took advantage of it. All those TD catches as a gadget TE - talk about telegraphing the play concept, yet he still produced.

He played left and right, cover and pass rush, TE, special teams. On a series of teams built on versatility he was one of the most versatile.

We should send a fruit basket to Pitt for letting him go.

You hold it against him that Pittsburg eff'd up?
groundhog day wtf GIF
Joey Porter was drafted two years after him, started over him and went on to being regarded as one of the best pass rushers in the NFL, 2 first team All Pro's, 4 Pro Bowls, NFL 2000's All Decade's team. They sure messed up. Lol.

And before we started the terrible argument of "how many Super Bowls did he win", he didn't have #12 and the supporting cast Vrabel did.

Joey Porter was drafted two years after him, started over him and went on to being regarded as one of the best pass rushers in the NFL, 2 first team All Pro's, 4 Pro Bowls, NFL 2000's All Decade's team. They sure messed up. Lol.

And before we started the terrible argument of "how many Super Bowls did he win", he didn't have #12 and the supporting cast Vrabel did.
Seems like you have an axe to grind with the player.

Seems like you have an axe to grind with the player.
He just wasn't that good. He was a feel good story that was put in positions to look better than he really was just like Ninkovich and Van Noy after him.

I'm not a McCourty fan either, I mean he's not bad (I guess), but he is thoroughly overrated by PatsFans. I'd still put him in (way) before the all time overrated king, Matthew Slater. Something tells me McCourty and Slater will both get into the Patriots HOF before many other more deserving Patriots.
I remember having a discussion a few years ago with a friend who was a very successful HS HC in this area. His position was that McCourty was more important to the Pats than Brady. Apparently Bill felt the same way.

It was pretty prophetic in the end. Way to compete.

It's pretty obvious that Bill had a problem with Welker. Unfortunately for the Pats, Welker definitely competed against them after he was dumped.

I'm not a McCourty fan either, I mean he's not bad (I guess), but he is thoroughly overrated by PatsFans. I'd still put him in (way) before the all time overrated king, Matthew Slater. Something tells me McCourty and Slater will both get into the Patriots HOF before many other more deserving Patriots.

giphy.gif

I remember having a discussion a few years ago with a friend who was a very successful HS HC in this area. His position was that McCourty was more important to the Pats than Brady. Apparently Bill felt the same way.
Which entirely proves my point about McCourty being overrated. I mean bro that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Also, there is no way Bill Belichick ever had a solitary notion of McCourty being more important to the Patriots than Brady. Maybe when he's in the late stages of senile dementia.

You should’ve asked your friend if he wanted to use a lifeline for that idiotic statement.

It's pretty obvious that Bill had a problem with Welker. Unfortunately for the Pats, Welker definitely competed against them after he was dumped.
You get that from that clip? I think you see what you want to see, bud. I see a coach busting balls with one of his respected vets, letting him know that Jules is coming.

Which entirely proves my point about McCourty being overrated. I mean bro that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Also, there is no way Bill Belichick ever had a solitary notion of McCourty being more important to the Patriots than Brady. Maybe when he's in the late stages of senile dementia.
Well, it came from one of the most successful HS HC's in the area. His feeling was that McCourty was the most important piece of the defense, which he thought was more important to winning.

Belichick absolutely proved that he preferred McCourty over Brady or Brady would have retired here, just like McCourty, Slater and possibly Bill himself will in a couple of years.

You get that from that clip? I think you see what you want to see, bud. I see a coach busting balls with one of his respected vets, letting him know that Jules is coming.
It's clear from that clip that Bill didn't care for Welker's attitude, bud.
And telling a top player to go out and test the waters for a contract and then shutting the door on him on the way out is hardly what I'd call respect.

It's clear from that clip that Bill didn't care for Welker's attitude, bud.
And telling a top player to go out and test the waters for a contract and then shutting the door on him on the way out is hardly what I'd call respect.
We will disagree on the clip, I know you don't like him, so we will move on.

Well, it came from one of the most successful HS HC's in the area. His feeling was that McCourty was the most important piece of the defense, which he thought was more important to winning.
Your friend is wrong. I can't even chalk it up to his opinion. It's like saying Dennis Rodman was more important to the Bulls success than Michael Jordan. It's objectively incorrect.

And Devin McCourty was never even the most important piece of the defense. Never in any one season.

Belichick absolutely proved that he preferred McCourty over Brady or Brady would have retired here, just like McCourty, Slater and possibly Bill himself will in a couple of years.
Slater? Let's not get crazy here.

Let's say we accept your notion that Belichick "proved he preferred McCourty over Brady." Well then, that would prove multiple things: 1) Belichick makes decisions 'in the best interest of Bill' and not 'in the best interest of the team', 2) Belichick is NOT a genius, and 3) IBWT is total BS.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back