PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Strange's situation may affect things this offseason, isn't expected to participate

I’d be prepared for no contributions from Strange for the entire season. Worst thing that can happen is he heals up. This line needs some consistency for a change. Go out and find a Guard while you’re huntin’ Wolf!

"Won't be ready for part of the off-season."

Could not be a more meaningless report. Part of the off-season? What does that mean? I forgot how ridiculous the Pats news gets at this time of the year. If Strange misses part of the off-season that seems pretty minor to me. Strange had a season ending knee injury so he will be rehabbing and might miss part of the off-season but be ready for camp. Seems OK to me.

Sidy Sow played left guard in college. IMHO he is the best option to replace Strange at that positio, at least until Strange is ready to go. I think Mafe is better suited to RG but am hoping they are able to bring back Onwenu for that position leaving Mafe as a backup.

I actually think if Strange recovers he should be a center but with Jake Andrews on the roster he is probably a LG only.

Can't seem to catch a break with the injury bug... Already starting to take a bite outta 2024...

Shame, I like Strange... Needs a bit more polish... Was hoping working with the new ol coach scott peters this off season would help that process... guess not

Did we ever figure out what the injury actually was? The kid has never been that good or healthy but from what I have read/heard AVP's running scheme utilizes more athletic lineman which is what Strange allegedly is. It would be nice to get some production out of a bad pick.

I said it when the pick was made and it turned out to be true. This pick was the end of the line for BB.

It was indefensible then, and it atrocious now.

I said it when the pick was made and it turned out to be true. This pick was the end of the line for BB.

It was indefensible then, and it atrocious now.
This pick really was the one where I said he shouldn't be able to make another pick for us. His mismanagement of Thuney, Mason, and Karras in the year or so leading up to that pick was bad enough but to reach on a guy at a position we have traditionally always filled with mid round to UDFA's was inexcusable. He created a hole in the roster and then reached on a guy most had projected as a mid round pick on a roster had tons of other needs.

Did we ever figure out what the injury actually was? The kid has never been that good or healthy but from what I have read/heard AVP's running scheme utilizes more athletic lineman which is what Strange allegedly is. It would be nice to get some production out of a bad pick.
From what little I have been able to find, Strange probably had a left knee patellar tendon rupture. Typical recovery time is six months, which would mean that he would not participate in OTAs, but would be ready to go for the start of training camp.

Sidy Sow played left guard in college. IMHO he is the best option to replace Strange at that positio, at least until Strange is ready to go. I think Mafe is better suited to RG but am hoping they are able to bring back Onwenu for that position leaving Mafe as a backup.

I actually think if Strange recovers he should be a center but with Jake Andrews on the roster he is probably a LG only.
This points to the need to re-sign Onwenu.

Alos, I've always expected a middle draft choice for a guard to compete with Mafi.

This pick really was the one where I said he shouldn't be able to make another pick for us. His mismanagement of Thuney, Mason, and Karras in the year or so leading up to that pick was bad enough but to reach on a guy at a position we have traditionally always filled with mid round to UDFA's was inexcusable. He created a hole in the roster and then reached on a guy most had projected as a mid round pick on a roster had tons of other needs.
And that's why BB won't be on the sidelines is 24 his overdrafting of mediocre players is atrocious. I hated the Cole Strange pick then and now.

Sow was a LG in college before playing mostly RG last year. Re-sign Onwenu, add a stop gap OT, draft an OT highly, sign a "utility" guy for the OL who can be a top reserve/spot starter. Ideally, with Strange out, you could go:

LT: FA stop gap
LG: Sow
C: D. Andrews
RG: Onwenu
RT: draft pick

If the draft pick isn't ready, you can explore different combos, with Strange out. Can put Jake Andrews in at LG, Sow back to RG, Onwenu out to RT. Or maybe it's the utility guy playing LG instead of Andrews in that same shuffle. Or maybe the utility guy just steps in for the draft pick at LT. Or maybe the utility guy plays RG and Onwenu goes back to RT.

They are in desperate need of starting caliber OT for both sides. I would be happy to see them sign Tryon Smith to start for them at LT next season but given his history I wouldn’t expect him to be available for all 17 regular season games. Beyond that:

• They must draft their LT1 of the future on no later than Day 2 of the draft. I am against using the #3 pick on anyone other than either a QB or MHJ. If they went with MHJ then the QB1 of the future has to be a priority over that LT prospect.

• If they resign Onwenu they need to keep him at RG except in a true emergency. He is a very good RG but a mediocre RT. Establish and maintain that position in strength and focus on the other positions.

• Aside from Alt, I don't think any of the other top OT prospects are (IMHO) greatly suited to play LT in the NFL next year. Fashanu is the most talented prospect (including Alt) but needs a lot of work on both upper body strength and technique. Fuaga is the best RT prospect in the draft but I think he’s a RT only. I wasn’t all that impressed by Guyton, Barton, or Morgan but especially with Guyton I could see why he will go in Round 1 and he viewed as having good potential to develop into an LT. I’m not a fan of Latham who I think will bust. The other guy that I see at this level in the draft is Mims. I’d love to see them draft him, I actually think he has the potential to convert to LT but would be just as much of a plug and play at RT next season as Fuaga.

• I am OK with Jake Andrews as the OC2 but he is undersized for OG. It will be interesting to see him this summer after the strength and conditioning program and the new coaching takes effect. I remember being pleasantly surprised by Karras in the same situation so I am hopeful.

• Mafe is a guy I see as a career backup. He has good size and some power but lacks quickness and agility. Another one to hope for.

• I will frankly be surprised if any of the group of backup OTs makes it into the starting lineup and plays better than the horrendous way they did last season. If Conor McDermott is the best of your bunch then you need a new whole new bunch. I am curious about Wheatley but suspect he looked as good in practice as Klemm did coaching them - a debacle

They are in desperate need of starting caliber OT for both sides. I would be happy to see them sign Tryon Smith to start for them at LT next season but given his history I wouldn’t expect him to be available for all 17 regular season games. Beyond that:

• They must draft their LT1 of the future on no later than Day 2 of the draft. I am against using the #3 pick on anyone other than either a QB or MHJ. If they went with MHJ then the QB1 of the future has to be a priority over that LT prospect.

• If they resign Onwenu they need to keep him at RG except in a true emergency. He is a very good RG but a mediocre RT. Establish and maintain that position in strength and focus on the other positions.

• Aside from Alt, I don't think any of the other top OT prospects are (IMHO) greatly suited to play LT in the NFL next year. Fashanu is the most talented prospect (including Alt) but needs a lot of work on both upper body strength and technique. Fuaga is the best RT prospect in the draft but I think he’s a RT only. I wasn’t all that impressed by Guyton, Barton, or Morgan but especially with Guyton I could see why he will go in Round 1 and he viewed as having good potential to develop into an LT. I’m not a fan of Latham who I think will bust. The other guy that I see at this level in the draft is Mims. I’d love to see them draft him, I actually think he has the potential to convert to LT but would be just as much of a plug and play at RT next season as Fuaga.

• I am OK with Jake Andrews as the OC2 but he is undersized for OG. It will be interesting to see him this summer after the strength and conditioning program and the new coaching takes effect. I remember being pleasantly surprised by Karras in the same situation so I am hopeful.

• Mafe is a guy I see as a career backup. He has good size and some power but lacks quickness and agility. Another one to hope for.

• I will frankly be surprised if any of the group of backup OTs makes it into the starting lineup and plays better than the horrendous way they did last season. If Conor McDermott is the best of your bunch then you need a new whole new bunch. I am curious about Wheatley but suspect he looked as good in practice as Klemm did coaching them - a debacle

I'm with you on Onwenu being a RG long-term. I think you have to be flexible about this upcoming year though. I think it's a great Plan A to sign a guy like Smith for LT for a year and then draft a plug and play RT without using the #3 pick. But maybe Smith and the other OTs get deals beyond what we want to pay for stop gaps/mid tier players. Maybe the draft doesn't yield the plug and play RT you wanted.

Longer term you want Onwenu at RG where he truly excels, but in the short term I can envision re-signing him and leaving him at RT for a year to manage in the interim.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back