PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Player Departure Stidham traded to Raiders

I’m legit confused about what went wrong with Winovich. Had high hopes for him.

One trick pony plus undisciplined.

He had one rush move and no counter when an O-lineman easily latches onto him. Likes to stand around when an O-lineman doesn’t fall for his only move.

He’s roadkill when a team runs the football.

This also describes his teammate Josh Uche.

Soft against the run, he was weak.

All true, plus he was a slightly older prospect who was already physically maxed-out... Funny I had thought of him as a 6'3-1/2, 260+ guy, but he's just a 6'2-1/2, 255-lb dude who's only a couple of Fatburgers heavier than Ronnie Perkins... It's past time already to start drafting some hosses at DE to help Judon, not these kids who are too small to set an edge but not athletic/experienced/willing enough to perform in space.

All true, plus he was a slightly older prospect who was already physically maxed-out... Funny I had thought of him as a 6'3-1/2, 260+ guy, but he's just a 6'2-1/2, 255-lb dude who's only a couple of Fatburgers heavier than Ronnie Perkins... It's past time already to start drafting some hosses at DE to help Judon, not these kids who are too small to set an edge but not athletic/experienced/willing enough to perform in space.
Jennings could provide snaps at OLB, assuming health.

Also think they could get more from that old school 4/3 DE position that Wise has manned alone for years. Rookie Sam Roberts is a potential contributor there, he's 6'5" 293. He only had a partial workout, only forty and vertical... his forty was average but vert was very good. The guy was the division two DPOY. The film shows him dominating everyone across from him, which is what you want to see at a lower level. He could contribute something.

LB Jon Beason I ass-ume?

What I do know is that Notgoat didn't even take the best available Safety at the time of the Stomper pick. That would've been Eric Weddle.

Ahh.. Yes.. The Captain Stone revisionist history.. Gotta love it..

He had one rush move and no counter when an O-lineman easily latches onto him. Likes to stand around when an O-lineman doesn’t fall for his only move.

He’s roadkill when a team runs the football.

This also describes his teammate Josh Uche.
Yup. Lacking versatility and being unable to stop the rush is a cardinal sin as a player in a Belichick led defense.

Right now I'd do it for a chocolate nugget.

I blame BillB for his failed drafting prowess... Harry may have been better off in another team... Who knows, but BillB offensive drafting skills is very very suspect, percentage wise...

???
Stidham has replaced the #3 QB

And yes, it is preferred to have a #3 that you know and who knows what you want.

This is a fine trade for both teams.

Yep, Stiddy replaces something called Chase Garbers for the #3 spot while Mullens is the #2 for now.

Bill has developed three NFL starting QB's from later rounds. I haven't looked recently, but how many starting NFL QB's were picked later than Jimmy G, Brissett, Casse, Hoyer?
Garoppolo is 2nd Rd and Brissett is 3rd Rd... not later round picks. Cassel is late round (7th) and Hoyer is an UFA. We can debate Garoppolo's NFL credentials but these other guys weren't successful starting NFL quarterbacks. Cassel's 2008 is overrated... he was handed the most successful offense of all-time and he put up very pedestrian numbers. He had one decent season as a starter for KC but was completely mediocre otherwise. Brissett's a backup and nothing more. Hoyer also never should have been a starter at any point in his career.

To answer your other question...

Davis Mills is a 3rd rounder... Houston is all in on him as their starter... he's going to be a decent starting QB.
Russell Wilson is a 3rd rounder having a HOF career.
Dak Prescott is a 4th rounder.
Kurt Cousins is a 4th rounder... he's much better than people give him credit for... if Mac Jones is similarly productive then the Patriots should be happy.

Not a lot of starting caliber quarterbacks come out of rounds lower than the 2nd. Brady is a literal unicorn... just ask Wozzy.

I wish I had been able to see him prepare and start and finish a game. Don't know why he wasn't at least better than Cam. He sure looked better to me. I wish him well.
His 50% pass to interception ratio said differently

Garoppolo is 2nd Rd and Brissett is 3rd Rd... not later round picks. Cassel is late round (7th) and Hoyer is an UFA. We can debate Garoppolo's NFL credentials but these other guys weren't successful starting NFL quarterbacks. Cassel's 2008 is overrated... he was handed the most successful offense of all-time and he put up very pedestrian numbers. He had one decent season as a starter for KC but was completely mediocre otherwise. Brissett's a backup and nothing more. Hoyer also never should have been a starter at any point in his career.

To answer your other question...

Davis Mills is a 3rd rounder... Houston is all in on him as their starter... he's going to be a decent starting QB.
Russell Wilson is a 3rd rounder having a HOF career.
Dak Prescott is a 4th rounder.
Kurt Cousins is a 4th rounder... he's much better than people give him credit for... if Mac Jones is similarly productive then the Patriots should be happy.

Not a lot of starting caliber quarterbacks come out of rounds lower than the 2nd. Brady is a literal unicorn... just ask Wozzy.

So 4 QB's, one a rookie who has started 11 games, in the entire league. You've made my point.

Cassel started 81 NFL games, equivalent to 5 NFL seasons, and made one Pro Bowl.
Brissett has started 31 games, and Hoyer 39.
Jimmy G was the last player taken in the second round., so it's splitting hairs.

It's incredible drafting/development despite any spin.

He still should've started that last, Less Than Meaningful game vs the Jesters instead of Cant.
You have to earn your starts. Dude couldn't play, you don't just gives guys the rock just because. Cam obviously won practice. So ge gets the game

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back