PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steven Jackson!

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was on a pace for a 1000 yard season and ran a helluva lot harder than LoMo.

He was one cut n go unlike Tiny Dancer.

He was also miles better in pass protection than Maroney.

I think you read too much into my comment. Morris was a good role player for us but never the talent of Jackson. At 32, I would take Jackson over a 32 yr old Morris. That's my point.
OK.

I agree with your statement.

I like it. We can turn it into a reality show, like The Contender or that one with the Cowboys. Call it Blitz Pickup, which doubles as a reference to their primary responsibility, and the fact that they're a quick and unexpected roster addition. At the end of each episode, BB can fold up the chair of the guy going home.

lol...the visual of BB as a reality host is just priceless.

Hmmm... he's 32, not as old as I thought

If this was September, I would say no way. Mid-December is another story assuming he has anything left. An older RB can potentially play at a top level for a month or two before falling apart.

And RB is the position where a rookie can come in and be successful immediately.

If he is healthy and in good enough shape Jackson can help immediately.

• Agree
Reactions: TBR
If you had to pinpoint one moment where the Pats' offense went from historically great to merely 'really good', it was when Morris went on IR. If he'd stayed healthy, we go 19-0.

The Morris moment I would pinpoint was the block he missed that resulted in tearing up TB12's knee and ended the 2008 season.

I admit, I'm starting to get a little excited about potentially signing SJax. Sorry, guys, we aren't going to sign him now. :(

Also, seeing as our cap space is dismal, it will be interesting to see how they would structure a contract. I don't think he'd take 500K to jump on board. It might have to be a 2 year deal with some guaranteed money.

Need him for only 6 games.
I admit, I'm starting to get a little excited about potentially signing SJax. Sorry, guys, we aren't going to sign him now. :(

Also, seeing as our cap space is dismal, it will be interesting to see how they would structure a contract. I don't think he'd take 500K to jump on board. It might have to be a 2 year deal with some guaranteed money.

The guy should take whateva comes his way. A chance to win a ring.

“I actually went out to Las Vegas and met with Steven out there; he’s from Las Vegas,” Belichick explained back in 2012. “I went out there and met with him and spent pretty much a whole day with him there. He’s a very impressive individual. Obviously a big, strong kid that runs well, that catches the ball very well, very good in the passing game; I think he’s probably a little underrated in that area. Good in blitz pickup, smart guy, he’s really had an outstanding career. He definitely was a guy that we were very much interested in. As I said, I personally spent quite a bit of time with him.”

Belichick has long been impressed with Steven Jackson

As a Pats Fan in Atlanta, I watched most of SJ's games with the Falcons. His best attribute was his ability to pass block; he consistently did that at an elite level. He always knew the right blitzer to pick up. He was big enough and strong enough to handle most linebackers and had little trouble with safeties and corners. He also had very soft hands and was great catching the ball out of the backfield.

His worst attribute in Atlanta was that he could never, ever stay healthy. He must have had the most fragile hamstrings in the NFL. If his time in Atlanta and his last couple of years in St Louis suggest anything, it's that he doesn't have 6 full games in him. I think Deus' suggested use for the regular season is spot on:

Nothing (Ten)
Almost nothing (NYJ)
Light to medium workload (Miami)
Week off

After that I would put a box next to him that says, "In case of emergency, break glass." He's got one, or maybe two at the most, games in him where he can be the primary back. After that, the injury report will say, Out - Hamstring.

As Deus and others have posted, he would be a great pickup. He's a savvy veteran who can help. He won't cost much of anything and is a really good locker room guy. He's lost at least a step and can be slow to hit the hole but he's still strong as an ox and can get you two yards when you need one. He's got at least one really good game left in those old bones.

If signed, he's certainly not going to play this week.

So for Jackson it would essentially be 5 games, within a 7-week span, with a week off for rest after every 2 games.

That's certainly manageable for a 32 year old future Hall of Famer, who's still in great shape.

Sign the beast.

Sign him. There is literally zero downside to it.

I have been pretty much meh about all the RB possibilities, including Monte Ball, that have crossed this board, BUT Stephen Jackson is one that makes me stand up and pay attention.

If the guy doesn't RUN, not walk to one Patriot Place and sign whatever piece of paper they put in front of him, then he is out of his mind. The day he signs he will be playing on his first team with a winning record, and will play in the playoffs. If he's anything close to the competitor that he's reported to be, he will be a Patriot by the end of the week.

BTW- I was on the road today and heard that Monte Ball is 20 pounds overweight and unlikely to get off the PS any time soon. Is that true?

Sign him. There is literally zero downside to it.

Agree. Do it BB...

giphy.gif

And RB is the position where a rookie can come in and be successful immediately.

If he is healthy and in good enough shape Jackson can help immediately.

I never said he couldn't help right away. I am saying he probably will fall apart in a month or two of playing at his age. So if we needed a RB in September, I would say no because he will have probably hit the age wall by now. But the Pats need him for a month and a half or so. So if healthy and still has something left, he might not hit the age wall before the Super Bowl.

I hope tho does happen, why not. He doesn't have a ton of miles on him for a 32 yr old and as others pointed out, would only needed for 5-6 games if we get where we want

The day he signs he will be playing on his first team with a winning record, and will play in the playoffs.

I had to look this up as I did not believe you.

Jackson's best team was the 2004 8-8 Rams that lost on Wild Card Weekend.

Man does that suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore