PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stephen Gostkowski expected to be franchise tagged

Status
Not open for further replies.
And some of those sources don't even violate HIPAA laws
Unless his sources are in a medical practice or other HIPAA covered entity, none of them are violating HIPAA. Contrary to what many people mistakenly think, HIPAA isn't some broad-based "you can't reveal medical info" law. So the team doctor leaking info -- that'd be a violation. A trainer leaking info -- probably a violation. A coach -- probably not. A fellow player -- nope. Also, even if a covered person commits a HIPAA violation revealing info, it's not a HIPAA violation for the recipients of that info to make it public.

I so wish the Patriots could find a way to keep homegrown star talent like Flowers to build a s0lid defense around vs. starting from square one every year. They finally put it together.

In any case, the "news" or speculation is that Flowers won't get a tag, and that Brown won't get a tag.

Gostkowski may or may not get a tag. There is no biggie either way. Gostkowski will play for the patriots in 2019 and likely also in 2020 (similar to the situation that we had with Vinatieri).

Weiss expects the patriots to sign a long-term deal with Gost (3 years?). The issue is whether that contract is completed before March 13 or after. The effect on the cap is not huge. The patriots could move some to 2020 and 2021 if they sign a contract.
How do you figure he will definitely play for the patriots if he isn’t tagged?

I so wish the Patriots could find a way to keep homegrown star talent like Flowers to build a s0lid defense around vs. starting from square one every year. They finally put it together.
That would mean that they abandon the approach that had sent them to at least the conference championship 8 straight years, to the SB 5 of 8 and 4 of the last 5 with 3 championships.
The thing you wish for is the thing they do not do which goes a long way toward creating that success.

Trey Flowers is a tremendous bargain in his rookie contract. He is just a guy giving back the equal of his cap hit from here on.

The normal kicker tag will be about $5 million, but Gostkowski’s tag would be closer $6 million because he gets a 20% raise from last season.
according to overthecap: $5,162,000

Unless his sources are in a medical practice or other HIPAA covered entity, none of them are violating HIPAA....

I think that the poster was referring to Schefter leaking info on the hand injury to Jason Pierre-Paul, where Schefty had obtained actual medical reports and photos, which very likely came from persons within the medical facility.

I’m still hopeful of a deal being reached with flowers. Just my opinion but I think he enjoys playing in this defense and continually competing for titles. I think he would take the 15 per that we offer over say 17 from the jets or another team with loads of cap space.

Unless his sources are in a medical practice or other HIPAA covered entity, none of them are violating HIPAA. Contrary to what many people mistakenly think, HIPAA isn't some broad-based "you can't reveal medical info" law. So the team doctor leaking info -- that'd be a violation. A trainer leaking info -- probably a violation. A coach -- probably not. A fellow player -- nope. Also, even if a covered person commits a HIPAA violation revealing info, it's not a HIPAA violation for the recipients of that info to make it public.

(sigh)

original.gif

That would mean that they abandon the approach that had sent them to at least the conference championship 8 straight years, to the SB 5 of 8 and 4 of the last 5 with 3 championships.
The thing you wish for is the thing they do not do which goes a long way toward creating that success.

Trey Flowers is a tremendous bargain in his rookie contract. He is just a guy giving back the equal of his cap hit from here on.
You state the obvious. Hence my stating a wish they could find a way, realizing he likely will be leaving for big $$$.

Our own @ctpatsfan77 posted this on Reddit recently. Nice reminder of just how good Gostkowski actually is -- historically almost unparalleled, in fact. Pay him.

:)

Quick explanation: the numbers might look a bit off because I'm using regular season and playoffs combined. (In particular, that knocks Nate Kaeding from #9 to #22(!).)

"Q4/OT one score" means kicks when the margin is 0 to 8 points. Red means a kicker does worse than his overall; green means better.

7qdlhmE.png

As some people have noted on reddit, Gostkowski does benefit from the Pats' offense a bit, as his median kick under those circumstances is a bit shorter than, say, Justin Tucker's. (IIRC, Gostkowski's is something like 34 while Tucker's is 37.)

Last edited:
Our own @ctpatsfan77 posted this on Reddit recently. Nice reminder of just how good Gostkowski actually is -- historically almost unparalleled, in fact. Pay him.

He’s one of the best, but the guy has missed a kick in the biggest game of the year four years running. Man if that field goal was a little more to the left at the end...glad he made it and got his own big Adam esque moment in the Super Bowl. Been a tough era of kickers compared to about a decade ago. Rather pay him but can’t say he doesn’t make me nervous.

You keep Gost at similar aav without investing long-term in a kicker who is getting older.

No, the reason to do it is to prevent a desperate team (*cough* Bears *cough*) from offering a contract they can't match.

Unless he gets tired of playing, I see no reason to think that Gostkowski won't be challenging Vinatieri's scoring record.

You state the obvious. Hence my stating a wish they could find a way, realizing he likely will be leaving for big $$$.

The Patriots have expended a lot of draft capital trying to find a good DE. Flowers is their best since Willie McGinest. They spent a #1 on Chandler Jones. Just recently they spent of Rivers. It's not just that DEs are costly, but they are hard to come by as well. So you have to weigh the cost of wasted draft picks vs. the hit to your salary cap.

CB is the same way. They paid up for Gilmore.

How do you figure he will definitely play for the patriots if he isn’t tagged?

I wasn't clear.

If he isn't tagged, it is because he is ready to sign a 2 or 3 year contract.

Kicker Contracts and Salaries | Over The Cap

Gostkowski is already the highest paid place kicker. The tag is rather useless since he would technically get a pay cut. An extension of the current deal for three or four years with incentives makes sense. Gostkowski must have his agent checking the market to see what a reasonable offer might be.

I'd prefer that they tag a guy like Flowers and get to work on a long term deal.

Gostkowski is already the highest paid place kicker. The tag is rather useless since he would technically get a pay cut. An extension of the current deal for three or four years with incentives makes sense. Gostkowski must have his agent checking the market to see what a reasonable offer might be.

This literally cannot happen. The tag amount is the greater of the standard tag amount or 120% of the player's prior year's cap hit. So Gostkowski would get 120% of last year's tag amount, or ~$6M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back