PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steelers Safety Mike Mitchell guarantees victory vs Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, because all he had to do was throw it to the sidelines, right? What on earth possessed him to throw right down the middle of the field where there wasn’t a receiver in sight? I think that’s what the poster is referring to, and in this case I agree with him (unfortunately).

Maybe Tom expected someone to change direction and take that wide-open real estate? I posted a photo a long-time ago that shows Welker essentially open on the right side so who knows what the heck really happened on that play. Suffice to say it was galactically stupid to run a seven-step drop play that put the QB in the endzone against the league's best passrush with a LG playing on a torn ACL and a right tackle playing his first snap in months.

Yeah, because all he had to do was throw it to the sidelines, right? What on earth possessed him to throw right down the middle of the field where there wasn’t a receiver in sight? I think that’s what the poster is referring to, and in this case I agree with him (unfortunately).

Eli got called for intentional grounding for throwing it out of bounds from the endzone in the Wild Card game against Atlanta that same post-season (the only points Atlanta scored, BTW). Maybe Tom was coached not to do that in that situation?

Maybe Tom expected someone to change direction and take that wide-open real estate? I posted a photo a long-time ago that shows Welker essentially open on the right side so who knows what the heck really happened on that play. Suffice to say it was galactically stupid to run a seven-step drop play that put the QB in the endzone against the league's best passrush with a LG playing on a torn ACL and a right tackle playing his first snap in months.

Agreed completely. The playcall was also dumb, but Brady had like 4-5 seconds to get rid of of it, and he had all kinds of real estate to the strong side to run and simply throw it away, but he didn't. This was back in the days, when his footwork was not as good and he was standing there like a statue out of the shotgun too much.

Much, much better these days with that. I would imagine BB pointed this stuff out to him and since then, Brady has been better.

How many times did you yell at the tv for him to run forward (2007-2012) and he still wanted to throw a tough pass/low completion percentage attempt, when there is like 10 yards in front of him to run?

The last time a Steelers DB predicted a win the Pats won 34-13. That works for me.

Seriously, it's one tweet to piss off 2 teams. I admire the economy he gets out of the one tweet.

Of course, it's symptomatic of everything wrong in ****tsburgh.

Umm, unless you're not reading what I wrote correctly.

Hint: Since 2006 when Goodell came on board and the owners wanted more revenue and more ratings, and all the rules favor offenses, if you're not building a team via the QB and offense, you're not doing it right.

That's why so many teams are in cap hells right now. Ozzie Newsome forgot to extend Flacco in 2011 or 2012 because they weren't budgeting for it, which has now sent most of the league into cap hells carrying 20 mil per year mediocre or slightly above averge QBs.

My point is, BB has given Brady a wealth of weapons since 2006 (minus 2009 and 2013) and Brady is 2-2 in SBs since.

The offensive output in an offensive era, inside domes was mediocre at BEST.

Of course the Seattle D which took YEARS AND YEARS to build, with a gazillion 1st rd picks because they sucked for about 5 years, is better than the 2011 Pats D, undermanned, off a Lockout on the front end of the rebuild.

But, that's not the point I made.

Wins/losses are a team stat more than a QB stat. Always will be. Winning SBs is not easy.

My point is... check the Giants offensive rankings from that year. When you say that the 2011 Patriots defense played well and over their heads (which isn’t saying much because they were terrible) because they would have only given up 13 points... that may sound impressive but considering the opponent - it’s realistically a lot less so imo.

The 2013 Seahawks holding the greatest offence in NFL history to 8 points. Now that is impressive and yes they really did play well.

I thought the running game at the time was very average too. Those Giants couldn’t stop the run and Law Firm didn’t do squat. Law Firm is the very definition of JAG so that’s not surprising. I really like what we are doing in our running game now, hopefully we see lots of it.

Wins/losses are a team stat more than a QB stat. Always will be. Winning SBs is not easy.

My point is... check the Giants offensive rankings from that year. When you say that the 2011 Patriots defense played well and over their heads (which isn’t saying much because they were terrible) because they would have only given up 13 points... that may sound impressive but considering the opponent - it’s realistically a lot less so. IMO.

The 2013 Seahawks holding the greatest offence in NFL history to 8 points. Now that is impressive and yes they really did play well.

Absolutely agree that winning a SB is not easy. Disagree with the SB 46 defense analysis.

The shut the Giants out in the first half of the game in Foxborough earlier that year, similar to how they handled Romo and Dallas, and the offense was literally asleep for the entire game. This was Novemeber of 2011 wherre Brady was not playing well and his INT rate was climbing.

I am just saying, deflecting from the truth and facts, to protect Brady's legacy has become a messageboard disease of sorts through the years.

Clearly, Brady played a lot better in SB 49 and 51 than he did in SB 42 and SB 46.

That's sort of the point here. I agree the rebuilding D off a Lockout, with no OTAs or camp, was not a very good defense, but they clearly played well enough to help the team win in SB46, where no one would have ever cared where they "ranked", if they had won.

Agreed completely. The playcall was also dumb, but Brady had like 4-5 seconds to get rid of of it, and he had all kinds of real estate to the strong side to run and simply throw it away, but he didn't. This was back in the days, when his footwork was not as good and he was standing there like a statue out of the shotgun too much.

Much, much better these days with that. I would imagine BB pointed this stuff out to him and since then, Brady has been better.

How many times did you yell at the tv for him to run forward (2007-2012) and he still wanted to throw a tough pass/low completion percentage attempt, when there is like 10 yards in front of him to run?

The other thing never mentioned on that horrible penalty is how close the DL hand was to TB's arm. (No video-just memory here) If he didn't hit it during the throw, he at least disrupted the follow-thru . . . which gee I think no follow thru makes a pass float. But you can't call grounding when a qb gets his arm hit.

I think if play had occurred later it might not have been called. That early in the game, most were expecting a blowout and the refs in the Gotohell era have agendas. That time it was (imo) keep it close for the ratings.

Pittsburgh is the gift that keeps on giving

Absolutely agree that winning a SB is not easy. Disagree with the SB 46 defense analysis.

The shut the Giants out in the first half of the game in Foxborough earlier that year, similar to how they handled Romo and Dallas, and the offense was literally asleep for the entire game. This was Novemeber of 2011 wherre Brady was not playing well and his INT rate was climbing.

I am just saying, deflecting from the truth and facts, to protect Brady's legacy has become a messageboard disease of sorts through the years.

Clearly, Brady played a lot better in SB 49 and 51 than he did in SB 42 and SB 46.

That's sort of the point here. I agree the rebuilding D off a Lockout, with no OTAs or camp, was not a very good defense, but they clearly played well enough to help the team win in SB46, where no one would have ever cared where they "ranked", if they had won.

I think most of us here can and do rightfully criticize Tom when his performance warrants it. I don’t think anyone here is saying Tom had a good game in SB46. Also, to address your earlier argument JG’s presence is not relevant...the chance that Brady would lose his job to JG barring injury was zero. There is no reason for Tom to look over his shoulder.

They “shut the Giants out” for half of the regular season game because they were an inferior offense and that happens to inferior offenses. Look at the yards the D gave up to the likes of Dan Orlovsky, Chad Henne, Rex Grossman and Vince Young and you can’t say with a straight face the defense shouldn’t be expected to be a problem. I also don’t think it’s clear the defense played well enough in the SB. The Giants were the 32nd ranked league worst rush offense... and they ran all over the Pats. Nuff said. While it is true had they won all of that wouldn’t have mattered but it doesn’t mean they played well. The fact is the Pats had the lead and the defense failed, just like they did in the AFCCG, and all year long.

13 points to an inferior offense should be taken with a grain of salt imo.

Last edited:
Mike Mitchell is slowly becoming the gift that keeps on giving.

Rt8iS7N.gif

My point is... check the Giants offensive rankings from that year. When you say that the 2011 Patriots defense played well and over their heads (which isn’t saying much because they were terrible) because they would have only given up 13 points... that may sound impressive but considering the opponent - it’s realistically a lot less so imo.

I thought the running game at the time was very average too. Those Giants couldn’t stop the run and Law Firm didn’t do squat. Law Firm is the very definition of JAG so that’s not surprising. I really like what we are doing in our running game now, hopefully we see lots of it.
It’s a shame that Ridley was a rookie who had some fumbling issues, because I’ve always wondered how the game may have looked with him as the lead RB. As we know, he had a very productive season during the next year.

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
Is that dude still going on about Brady? Good grief . . .

2010 team had O'Brien as OC. Moss and he got into it in the hallway at halftime and Miami and BB had Moss gone within 24 hours, which is one of the wisest moves BB the GM has ever made. It's why Brady played great the rest of the way and won the MVP.

2009, was the transition into a rebuild. I was talking about the 2012 AFC Title game loss where he looked to avenge his god awful performance the year earlier.

Nope, O'Brien was not officially named OC until February of 2011.

O'Brien promoted to offensive coordinator

This guy belongs on the steelers teams of the early 2000's coached by cower. The pats beat the squeelers in the afccg, the squeelers squeeled that the had an off game and they were the better team. The pats won their first ssuper bowl, the squeelers squeeled that they were still the better team. Running up to the opening regular season game at gillete the squeelers said they were going to kick azz, they got curb stomped that night, but still kept running their mouths, i think this went until cower left.

2009, was the transition into a rebuild. I was talking about the 2012 AFC Title game loss where he looked to avenge his god awful performance the year earlier.

I was responding to:

Disagree completely. Did you ever play sports at a relatively competitive level?

The human element can never be discounted in sports, especially contact sports. Emotion and how to channel that is absolutely in play, good or bad.

We lost to the Jets, Ravens and Giants twice all for the exact same reason:

A sputtering and inconsistent offensive ideology.

I hate to sound like I’m defending this clown, but skimming through the article allows one to see it in its proper context, and I really don’t see anything all that inflammatory. That’s obviously just my opinion.

He’s basically just saying that the team is rallying around the loss of Shazier, his good friend, and that they’re confident that they will beat everyone on their path, “including the Patriots.” “I’m just going to go ahead and say it, we’re going to win the Super Bowl.”

Mitchell: “Look, they’re (the Patriots) the benchmark, and that’s who we’ve got to beat if we want to win the Super Bowl.”

This is what gets our panties in a bunch these days? Out of all of the dumb stuff the Steelers have said over the years, this is the one time I’ll give them a (rare) pass. I can only hope that they’ll actually say something worthwhile. It’s still bulletin board material, but it’s nothing special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes