PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stafford on the trading block [update: traded to Rams]

Status
Not open for further replies.
4000 yards 26tds and 10 interceptions at 64% completion on the dumpster fire lions. If that's the definition of sucks what is cam newton?
drag race no GIF by Robert E Blackmon

4000 yards 26tds and 10 interceptions at 64% completion on the dumpster fire lions. If that's the definition of sucks what is cam newton?

Cam Newton is the guy I said last offseason “sucks...move on” while people cited his stats, excuses, and the Panthers terrible, terrible, terrible coaching and skill players.

Stafford has had plenty of seasons, some where he had great players around him, some where he didn’t. He‘s not the answer, and he’s definitely not the answer worth trading draft assets for when you’re a team lacking talent everywhere and need to rebuild.

i would be surprised if the Pats were the highest bidder for a Stafford trade. A team that is only a qb away from contending will probably be willing to pay more since we have needs at so many positions I doubt we provide better capital.

I’d like to see Bill identify a QB in the draft that we can build around long term more than I want Stafford.

Cam Newton is the guy I said last offseason “sucks...move on” while people cited his stats, excuses, and the Panthers terrible, terrible, terrible coaching and skill players.

Stafford has had plenty of seasons, some where he had great players around him, some where he didn’t. He‘s not the answer, and he’s definitely not the answer worth trading draft assets for when you’re a team lacking talent everywhere and need to rebuild.

I guess we disagree. You can have talent all across the board but if you don't have a QB it's useless. Look at tampa bay. 7-9 with winston. Super bowl contender with Brady.

Also the track record of getting someone even close to stafford's level at #15 is a cr@pshoot you won't know for 3 years at least.

I'm not sure bill wants to lose for 3 years. And find out he drafted blaine gabberts and not Mahomes. That's how you become the jaguars or the Jets

• Agree
Reactions: sb1
there's no QB available at 15 or later in the draft that will make a difference - then again, I don't see them using 15 on QB......

Stafford has a lot of mileage. He’s dealt with injuries & his game is predicated on having a cannon.

IMO he’s a better fit for the Colts or 49ers (more talented teams that are closer to a SB) as you may only get 2-3 seasons before his game falls off.

Pats trade their first round pick for Stafford & sign some FAs. By the time the team is a SB contender you have to extend him at the top of a market deal.

I guess we disagree. You can have talent all across the board but if you don't have a QB it's useless. Look at tampa bay. 7-9 with winston. Super bowl contender with Brady.

Also the track record of getting someone even close to stafford's level at #15 is a cr@pshoot you won't know for 3 years at least.

I'm not sure bill wants to lose for 3 years. And find out he drafted blaine gabberts and not Mahomes. That's how you become the jaguars or the Jets

Stafford isn’t Brady. That’s the point. He isn’t carrying a team anywhere. In fact, isn’t that the knock? He has never been good enough to carry a subpar team? Then why bring him here? This team can rebuild in a year or two with good investments and good drafts; this would not be a good investment and would set the team back.

He isn’t much better overall than some of the better backup QBs. Ryan Fitzpatrick would do fine as a bridge quarterback who will win some games by himself and lose some by himself, frustrating you along the way. Why give up assets and pay more money for Stafford to do the same thing? And there’s no way he’ll be interested in a bridge year when he’ll have plenty of suckers suitors.

Stafford has a lot of mileage. He’s dealt with injuries & his game is predicated on having a cannon.

IMO he’s a better fit for the Colts or 49ers (more talented teams that are closer to a SB) as you may only get 2-3 seasons before his game falls off.

Pats trade their first round pick for Stafford & sign some FAs. By the time the team is a SB contender you have to extend him at the top of a market deal.

If 49ers get him then Garoppolo is back here and we can draft a QB to sit behind him. I'm fine with that scenario as well

Stafford isn’t Brady. That’s the point. He isn’t carrying a team anywhere. In fact, isn’t that the knock? He has never been good enough to carry a subpar team? Then why bring him here? This team can rebuild in a year or two with good investments and good drafts; this would not be a good investment and would set the team back.

He isn’t much better overall than some of the better backup QBs. Ryan Fitzpatrick would do fine as a bridge quarterback who will win some games by himself and lose some by himself, frustrating you along the way.
This is assuming you nail the draft each year and nail the QB position.

Sounds easy but many teams do the same each year and fail. It's why Bill is at this point to begin with. 6 years of bad drafting leaving the cupboards bare

No to Stafford. He's a coach killer and 33 years old.

He played for an organization that’s won one playoff game in 50 years.
They have failed him miserably. The one time in his career he played with a good defense he made the playoffs.

This is assuming you nail the draft each year and nail the QB position.

Sounds easy but many teams do the same each year and fail. It's why Bill is at this point to begin with. 6 years of bad drafting leaving the cupboards bare

I agree with you there, but the draft is still the only way back. They’re not going to assemble a competitive team through free agency. Stafford epitomizes the type of player you wind up with - short of what’s needed - by going that way. If he were someone to build around, the Lions wouldn’t be cutting their losses.

at 32 stafford could just be a few years away from retirement...

i dont like it
Let's say we got three years out of him:

Year 1 - Stafford and a FA (I'm presuming Stidham is a bust given BB wouldn't start him even in meaningless games)
Year 2 - Stafford and we draft a QB with our first. The drafted player gets a year to learn the trade.
Year 3 - Stafford and the drafted QB are hopefully in competition by this point.
Year 4 - Stafford retires, the drafted QB has had a couple of years in the system and is hopefully ready to take over. Otherwise we're back at square one except we would hopefully have upgraded the receiving corps by this point at least.

Would you not take that? I would. It's better than ruining a rookie expecting him to start from day 1 on such a high pressure team and throw to this poor receiving corps.

Last edited:
In 2018, Belichick said Stafford is “as good as there is in football” as a downfield passer.

“He does an excellent job of seeing down the field in all situations,” Belichick said at the time. “No matter how much pressure he’s under, he seems to find guys down there. Sometimes it appears that they’re covered, but he can put the ball where (Marvin) Jones in particular, but also (Kenny) Golladay, can go up and make plays on the ball.

“He’s very accurate and he’s got a strong arm. He can stand in there and make those throws, with or without a rush, in or out of the pocket, stationary or on the run. He’s extremely dangerous – one of the very best in the league for sure.”

Stafford has a decent contract and that’s why I put 15 on the table if they’re aiming for QB in the first round. They’ll be in a bidding war and that offer will get the Lions attention. You’re not going to find a QB to build around at that spot in the draft. Most likely you’ll find a QB whose ceiling is Stafford right now. Stafford is mobile, he’s got a rocket arm and as tough a SOB as it gets.

I also don’t think he has ever benefited from more than a below average running game either. The Pats by contrast may have one of the best in the league in 2021.

We have bigger problems than QB. If they would trade Stafford for a 2nd or 3rd maybe that would be worth it but not the 15th pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back