PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stafford on the trading block [update: traded to Rams]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if the QB at #15 ends up sucking? People act like you pick a first round QB you are getting a star. More likely it's 50-50 or even less. And by the time you know they aren't the guy 3 years has gone by and you have to draft a QB all over again.

Just because bill screwed up with Brady doesn't mean he should let all other QBs go by
What if Stafford ends up sucking? The cap hit on #15 is very appealing. His contract is also something to talk about. He hits free agency in 2023 but I'm not sure the last 2 years of the deal are legit. Maybe someone can confirm what the contract situation would be. If he's signed for only 1 year I just don't see it but if it's 3 then maybe. Do we think #15 would be enough by itself? Lots to consider.

I agree with you on Stidham (or at least I definitely have doubts), but would you like to give up the #15 pick just to have your heart broken in the final two minutes of the game with regularity? Because that's essentially what you'd be acquiring with it.

Not necessarily with Belichick and McD coaching him...

What if Stafford ends up sucking? The cap hit on #15 is very appealing. His contract is also something to talk about. He hits free agency in 2023 but I'm not sure the last 2 years of the deal are legit. Maybe someone can confirm what the contract situation would be. If he's signed for only 1 year I just don't see it but if it's 3 then maybe. Do we think #15 would be enough by itself? Lots to consider.

Well, we know what stafford is and he doesn't suck. The #15 pick QB is a question mark for at least 3 years and may never be at matt stafford a level.

For every Mahomes there are 20 Josh rosens, winston's and blaine gabberts

I agree with you on Stidham, but would you like to give up the #15 pick just to have your heart broken in the final two minutes of the game with regularity? Because that's essentially what you'd be acquiring with it.
I think 15 is worth it over a crapshoot in the draft or another season of Cam. Stafford isn’t THAT expensive either and he is a very good QB. I think McDaniels is a big upgrade over whatever offensive coaching he’s had to date.

I agree. Stafford is not a winner.
The Lions are perennial losers. The Patriots aren’t. He would be coming to a better situation here, assuming the Patriots plan to make some significant upgrades on offense and I expect that is what they will do.

I do think the Lions are going to get some big offers for him. I think the Colts would be a big one, Washington and the Bears. Maybe Miami too.

Well, we know what stafford is and he doesn't suck. The #15 pick QB is a question mark for at least 3 years and may never be at matt stafford a level.

For every Mahomes there are 20 Josh rosens, winston's and blaine gabberts
I agree on that. Stafford doesn't suck but he's not winning any titles. He's not a winner no matter where he played. I may be in the minority but I'm ok drafting best player available at #15. Even if it's defense. I think Fiztmagic can do the same thing stafford can unless the stafford contract is very appealing for at least 3 years.

I do think the Lions are going to get some big offers for him. I think the Colts would be a big one, Washington and the Bears. Maybe Miami too.

49ers are a wildcard. They are looking to upgrade from Jimmy G and maybe stafford fits their offense better

The Lions are perennial losers. The Patriots aren’t. He would be coming to a better situation here, assuming the Patriots plan to make some significant upgrades on offense and I expect that is what they will do.
Cam was a loser too with only 3 winning seasons. Many of Detroit's woes were because of Stafford. He has not been anything special since Johnson retired.

I'd rather send the #15 to Dallas for Dak if he agreed to 30mil avg contract. It won't happen but he has way more upside imo.

What if the QB at #15 ends up sucking? People act like you pick a first round QB you are getting a star. More likely it's 50-50 or even less. And by the time you know they aren't the guy 3 years has gone by and you have to draft a QB all over again. I just took a look at all the 1st round QBs in the past few years. There's alot of blaine gabberts and josh rosens. And that's too 10 picks

Just because bill screwed up with Brady doesn't mean he should let all other QBs go by

Valid points. You can also ask what is the value in paying a QB $20M or $25M who can not read a defense? He is over 30 and was a #1 pick so he is good? His body of work would say otherwise. Do you know why Detroit wants to trade Stafford and give away multiple picks to chose a rookie? Because Stafford is limited. If Detroit does not want him, why would we want him? He will magically create a pocket presence and start reading defenses once BB coaches him up? We tried that last year with a #1 pick, and people want to try it again in 2021????? NUTS!!!!

Let's swallow the long-term perspective pill and try to find a starting QB that has pocket presence and can read a defense. Even if we have to wait a few years for him to mature, at least we don't have to start over and over and over, like so many other teams do. Let's get off the QB treadmill.

This guy sucks. Move on.

Any qb we draft would spend next year trying to learn to see if he can become what Stafford is already. Statistically a 50:50 shot, right?

Last edited:
I was steady to chime in with the « he’s not worth that it’s going to cost » rant.... but, while I remain unconvinced in Stafford, I’d be intrigued at 20M$...

Pros : he’s tough, he has athletic talent
Cons : sometimes makes mistakes because he thinks his arm can do anything

I don’t like the risk taking aspect. But the toughness would be respected in the locker. And I think BB could convince him that - to win - you sometimes just throw it away instead of risking it all. But I dunno if he wants to hang w Patricia anymore...
On the one hand, acquiring Stafford would be basically taking us back to the post-96 Bledsoe offense. And Bledsoe never really adapted to the Belichick offense.

On the other hand, the post-96 Bledsoe offense was light years better than the Cam Newton offense. And who is a realistically available QB option right now that is better than Cam?

Belichick’s in a situation where he’ll never has as much intel on an outside player than he does in this case. I’ll trust his judgment here.

I agree with you on Stidham (or at least I definitely have doubts), but would you like to give up the #15 pick just to have your heart broken in the final two minutes of the game with regularity? Because that's essentially what you'd be acquiring with it.
I'd be interested to see if that's still the case with better coaching than he's ever had In his career. I'm definitely down in bringing him in.

Great. Let's hope the others way outbid us. We do not need another 32 year old, former #1 draft pick that has never won anything. I know, I know, all the losing is not on Stafford, he is amazing and the Detroit organization let him down. Sheesh.

Last edited:
Stafford is good, but he is flawed. Can get wonky with his mechanics/accuracy, and can make a bad decision.

Its not his fault why they've been bad recently, but if you go back many years, I'm not sure he's super clutch either.

I don't think he'd win here, especially with this receiving core.

Cam was a loser too with only 3 winning seasons. Many of Detroit's woes were because of Stafford. He has not been anything special since Johnson retired.
I don’t know about that. Stafford was in the MVP conversation in 2019 until he was IRed. Only knock on him is injuries but I don’t think they’re the kind of injuries that can turn a career sideways like they did with Cam.

Worth the risk if the Pats want to go QB in the first round. Would certainly immediately give us a passing game that we haven’t had since week 2 of 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents