PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stafford on the trading block [update: traded to Rams]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If niners trade for Stafford, Jimmy g coming back. Patriots could give up one of our 4th rounders to niners for Jimmy G. Then sign some weapons for him. Use the draft to rebuild our defense. Free agency to rebuild offense, draft to rebuild defense.
weapons for Jimmy, so that he can watch them from the stands while on IR? don't need fragile Jimmy, give me some QB who has at least a full season without being on IR all the time

Would love to see him here if we can’t draft someone, but I doubt he’s coming if Matt P is here

Noooooo!!! Please this guy is not a winner and is getting long in the tooth after being pummeled for how many seasons? Please....Hard Pass!

here's the more telling QB cap hit numbers - since 2010, only 5 super bowl winners had QBs with a cap hit over 10% of the total cap....3 of those were tom brady, and none of those were over 12.4%

stafford & garropolo's current cap hits for next year, without a restructure, would be 15+%......restructure for both would probably include extensions.......don't think staffords window would be the restructure for this roster, and i'm not sold on garrapolo enough to go long term on him

the more i ramble and the more i read, the more i'm sold on jacoby brissett in 2021 hahaha
Since 2010 “only 5” is more than half and discounting brady 4/6 were over.

Noooooo!!! Please this guy is not a winner and is getting long in the tooth after being pummeled for how many seasons? Please....Hard Pass!
I agree with the qualifier that I presume someone better will be available. If it’s Stafford or another season of newton I love Stafford.
I believe this off-season we need to get the best QB available, no matter what, but I don’t think it’s Stafford.

Since 2010 “only 5” is more than half and discounting brady 4/6 were over.

i'm not sure people should use brady as an example of a QB contract either. We are NOT getting those types of discounts ever again. This idea that we can get away with paying below market contracts for elite QB play needs to go out the window.

we saw with Cam newton what you get for bargain QB's

Veteran QBs who fit Patriots ranked Watson Grap Mariotta Stafford, Henicke Trubisky, Newton
Rookies Wilson, Lance, Fields, Jones, Ehlinger
Somebody give me a sleeper QB I’m not even considering right now.

i'm not sure people should use brady as an example of a QB contract either. We are NOT getting those types of discounts ever again. This idea that we can get away with paying below market contracts for elite QB play needs to go out the window.

we saw with Cam newton what you get for bargain QB's
The idea that brady took severely discounted contracts is also a myth. As he got older his pay dropped below the top tier but that always happens. During his proms he was paid very well.
What he didn’t do was say I’m the goat I demand 20% more than anyone else.

I don't think Stafford would want to come here and from a Personal point he might want to go to a place where everything is already set and not for some team on rebuild. I think bills aura is not that high this year for folks to come in to pats . Definitely a risky proposition.

Stafford is going to the colts .. they are contenders and have all pieces in motion along with a offensive genius in frank Reich.

I don't think Stafford would want to come here and from a Personal point he might want to go to a place where everything is already set and not for some team on rebuild. I think bills aura is not that high this year for folks to come in to pats . Definitely a risky proposition.
Stafford is going to the colts .. they are contenders and have all pieces in motion along with a offensive genius in frank Reich.
You think frank reich is an “offensive genius” and a player who wants to win would pick him and the Indianapolis colts over bill belichick and the mew England patriots? Are you crazy?

You think frank reich is an “offensive genius” and a player who wants to win would pick him and the Indianapolis colts over bill belichick and the mew England patriots? Are you crazy?

people acting like the Patriots were 1-15. they werent good, but they went 7-9 with a QB who cant throw. You cant tell me they aren't in the playoffs or knocking on the door if they have even a semi competent QB.

and thats assuming Bill doesnt improve the offensive talent at all with his 60million in cap space.

at the end of the day all that matters is what Bill Thinks. the #15 pick does NOT have a good track record of finding a stud QB. especially in a draft where there are multiple teams who are QB needy ahead of you. SO you likely are going to have to move up to #10 or higher. Also you do NOT want to draft a QB just because its a need if you dont think the person is the guy. So you are essentially in purgatory at the QB position. some teams like the Bills or Dolphins were in purgatory for 30 years until they found their guy.

The question is at bills age does he want to pin his future/hopes/legacy on a #15 draft pick. Because if the patriots keep losing and Brady keeps winning it takes a big hit to his legacy and patriots dynasty. same with Robert Kraft. Thats a separate issue where watching brady might motivate them.

Last edited:
. Brady is still here if patriots trade for Diggs.

No he isn't. He wanted to leave and Gisele wanted him to leave. Only way he was back is if Kraft fired Belichick. Why do you think they went to Kraft and complained about being Johnny "f**king" Foxboro? That meeting wasn't about a new deal or trading for Stefon Diggs or any other WR.

None of the 2?

mahomes is making 45million a year starting next year and Rodgers is making 33million, Deshaun watson is making $39million. Ryan tannehill is making $27million. This idea that $20million for stafford or the current $26million for Jimmy G is too much doesnt make much sense.

Other than guys playing on rookie contracts (which will be over soon and they will be paid these huge salaries) all the teams in the playoffs had highly paid quarterbacks

My belief from the time Belichick and Brady decided to go their separate ways has been that Belichick is looking to rebuild the Patriots to Championship level, and try to get another Lombardi before hanging it up. That, to some degree, means tearing down the current team and completely restructuring it. And I think that Belichick sees the NFL as going to athletic “point guard” quarterbacks as the future of the game. On the other hand that conflicts with Belichick’s natural instinct to put the best team he can on the field every season. The question of whether or not to after Stafford goes right to the heart of this dilemma, and I’m really interested to see which road he decides to go down. If he thinks he can get the athletic QB for the future in either the 2nd or 3rd round of this draft, or next year, then I could see him giving up the #15 for Stafford, and using their cap space to try and get him the weapons to make them a serious contender, but if he passes on Stafford or an opportunity for another QB, such as Garrapolo, who could make them a contender then I think he will make moves like trading Gilmore and clearing even more cap space in an effort for more of a complete overhaul, in which case we will have to be patient and get used to some losing seasons before getting back to the top. I was leaning towards an overhaul, but they have some really strong units( OL, RB, DB) and he may decide it’s better to try and contend while rebuilding. After six Lombardi’s I’m more than willing to just kick back and see which way he decides to go, and I’d be fine with giving the #15 for Stafford, and seeing if they can win again now.

I agree with you on Stidham (or at least I definitely have doubts), but would you like to give up the #15 pick just to have your heart broken in the final two minutes of the game with regularity? Because that's essentially what you'd be acquiring with it.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts. I’m reading Lazar and thinking to myself, on which planet is Stafford worth a number 1 pick?

I’d rather gamble on greatness or atleast a competent young QB than give up the highest pick the pats have had since 07. For what? A player that has shown flashes but has lost more than he’s won. He’s a stop gap guy that will keep the team afloat and not much more imo.

people acting like the Patriots were 1-15. they werent good, but they went 7-9 with a QB who cant throw. You cant tell me they aren't in the playoffs or knocking on the door if they have even a semi competent QB.

and thats assuming Bill doesnt improve the offensive talent at all with his 60million in cap space.

at the end of the day all that matters is what Bill Thinks. the #15 pick does NOT have a good track record of finding a stud QB. especially in a draft where there are multiple teams who are QB needy ahead of you. SO you likely are going to have to move up to #10 or higher. Also you do NOT want to draft a QB just because its a need if you dont think the person is the guy. So you are essentially in purgatory at the QB position. some teams like the Bills or Dolphins were in purgatory for 30 years until they found their guy.

The question is at bills age does he want to pin his future/hopes/legacy on a #15 draft pick. Because if the patriots keep losing and Brady keeps winning it takes a big hit to his legacy and patriots dynasty. same with Robert Kraft. Thats a separate issue where watching brady might motivate them.

We're talking about Stafford. Maybe we do better than 7-9 with him instead of Cam, but we definitely still just lose the first playoff game. That's not worth a 1st round pick.

A 1st round pick is so valuable where you control that player for multiple years on a low salary. Absolutely not for 33 yr old Stafford. All the excuse making that this loser didn't have a good roster in Detroit, the Pats roster isn't loaded either. Stafford does not elevate his team or make it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes