PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stafford on the trading block [update: traded to Rams]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he was 28-29, in a heartbeat. I hesitate only because he's 32.

I'd prefer the younger Garappolo (29), but I wouldn't be particularly upset with Stafford; he's a darn good quarterback.
I'd actually prefer Stafford over Garoppolo. The ability to be on the field leading the team consistently is more important than raw skill and talent.

Garoppolo's penchant for taking short sighted risks with his body, and winding up not on the field as a result, is going to prevent him from achieving his potential. Right now Jimmy G is one of the most talented and promising busts I've ever seen because he can't keep his skinny butt on the field.

With decent QB and normal injury year BB team will always be a contender. If anything they have the Cap now (2021+22) to build around solid veteran QB if they can get one.
I'll give you that, it's just i prefer a rookie QB with the first pick if possbile. I also believe other Teams are maybe more interesting for Stafford with those weapons they have

Detroit messed up by not taking a QB last year when they had the number 3 overall. The QB chosen in the draft could have learnt from Stafford for a year. When a franchise is not headed in a play-off/championship direction and you have a top 3 pick with a 30+ QB the decision makers in the franchise must use that top pick to either take the next franchise QB or trade the pick for multiple picks. You don't take a CB at number 3 overall.

Triumph you never ceases to amaze me.

BB deserves his share of draft criticism but going after his ability to find a QB seems like a new low for you. Even while employing the GOAT he's managed to find several QBs capable of starting in this league. Fact QBs not named Brady who started their careers in NE under BB have gone on to start about 200 or so games in this league. Again that's while employing Tom and not having a need for QB.
Brady was ;pick 199 and a fluke.

You people act like BB knew all along that Brady would be the greatest QB in NFL history, but wanted to wait and get the best deal possible. You cannot rewrite history as much as you try. **** Rehbein begged Belichick to draft Brady in earlier rounds.. Thats a FACT. Rehbein persisted and did not give up lobbying to take Brady. When pick 199 came up, Rehbein told Beleichick that "Brady is still there." His exact words.

You people act like BB knew all along that Brady would be the greatest QB in NFL history, but wanted to wait and get the best deal possible. You cannot rewrite history as much as you try. **** Rehbein begged Belichick to draft Brady in earlier rounds.. Thats a FACT. Rehbein persisted and did not give up lobbying to take Brady. When pick 199 came up, Rehbein told Beleichick that "Brady is still there." His exact words.
Only one head coach would have benched and traded his team’s $100M franchise QB for Brady. No other coach would have done that, just one. And we have him.

The fact SF is interested in Stafford really makes Garoppolo returning seem more realistic. I would rather bring Jimmy back for a 2nd and keep my 1st than lose #15 for Stafford. Garoppolo + Waddle is a lot more enticing than just Stafford.

I’d rather him straight up IMO. His stats, win-loss record & play style say it all. Jimmy G has been a scapegoat with the 49ers for getting injured, losing a SB & being a sidecar in a Shanahan offense. Maybe he would’ve thrown more without JAGs at WR.

My only concern would be injuries. Surround him with decent weapons & he’ll make pats quick passing offense work.

I'll give you that, it's just i prefer a rookie QB with the first pick if possbile. I also believe other Teams are maybe more interesting for Stafford with those weapons they have

It's just not that easy. You draft a QB high and wait 3 years to see if he is even starter material. Then If he's not you have to draft a QB all over again leaving your franchise in limbo. I doubt at bills age that's the route he wants to go. Keep losing in his 70s while brady wins in Tampa and bills legacy gets brought through the shredder

Or you get a guy you know can play and then build around him. This idea that "oh we have other needs as well" is useless if you don't have a QB. You become the colts or Bucs last year. Talented roster going nowhere because you don't have a QB.

And if you wait until you have a more complete roster that guy may not be available. You may be stuck with cam newton like this year

You misunderstood my point. I was not saying anything about Tom but rather while having Tom and little need for another Q he still had 4 other guys go on to start about 200 games so I think we are in good hands with BB finding one now that there is an actual need.

I think Stafford would have a similar impact to someone like Rivers had on the Colts. Top 10ish production and at a reasonable cap hit. Maybe he has a late career resurgence like Plunkett or Carsen Palmer when put on a team with better coaching. Based on the fact I do not see many better short term options available I would be fine with the move while they see if they can also find a developmental QB. Provides 2 years of at least solid QB play and is still young enough that he could be their QB for the next 5 or so years if he proves effective. Obviously the preference is to find great instead of good but that can be a decade long search.

It's just not that easy. You draft a QB high and wait 3 years to see if he is even starter material. Then If he's not you have to draft a QB all over again leaving your franchise in limbo. I doubt at bills age that's the route he wants to go. Keep losing in his 70s while brady wins in Tampa and bills legacy gets brought through the shredder
Look at the Bengals and Chargers, they know from their first year their qb looks like starting material. Of course there are other examples as well
Or you get a guy you know can play and then build around him. This idea that "oh we have other needs as well" is useless if you don't have a QB. You become the colts or Bucs last year. Talented roster going nowhere because you don't have a QB.
A QB using maybe 30 percent or more of our free cap space and our first pick when we can't or don't surround him with good weapons is not that great as well. And Stafford and Jimmy G need good Weapons or offense scheme to be succesfull. They don't look like QB who are making guys around him better.
And if you wait until you have a more complete roster that guy may not be available. You may be stuck with cam newton like this year
This could be the scenario but the rebuild takes time. I also don't think BB wants to go with a rookie since a vet might give him a higher chance to achieve Shula's wins

A month ago I wasn't so sure about Stafford. But, looking at options, $, and longevity, he's starting to seem like a good fit.
It's crazy that he's only 32! He'll be 33 next season, but only 1 year older than Cam. We KNOW the Pats will protect him a lot better than he's been in DET. He's a tough guy, with a character and vibe that I think would thrive here. The only thing that could screw up what might have been an obvious choice - is if Matt doesn't want to stick with Matty P. Who knows what their relationship was like though?

Look at the Bengals and Chargers, they know from their first year their qb looks like starting material. Of course there are other examples as well

A QB using maybe 30 percent or more of our free cap space and our first pick when we can't or don't surround him with good weapons is not that great as well. And Stafford and Jimmy G need good Weapons or offense scheme to be succesfull. They don't look like QB who are making guys around him better.

This could be the scenario but the rebuild takes time. I also don't think BB wants to go with a rookie since a vet might give him a higher chance to achieve Shula's wins

Herbert was the #6 pick and burrow was #1. There is a higher chance of success at that level than where the Patriots will be drafting. Especially in a draft where multiple teams ahead of you need a QB

Every QB needs weapons and an offensive scheme to look better. It was just a year ago we thought brady was done because he didnt do much. Now he has 40 tds

Herbert was the #6 pick and burrow was #1. There is a higher chance of success at that level than where the Patriots will be drafting. Especially in a draft where multiple teams ahead of you need a QB
Yeah a trade up will probably be necessary maybe to 7/8 if we really like a qb
Every QB needs weapons and an offensive scheme to look better. It was just a year ago we thought brady was done because he didnt do much. Now he has 40 tds
Yeah but for Brady we know he makes players around him better and is a winner type, i never heard of scotty miller before tbh

In my view I would not trade for Stafford. He is not a SB quality QB and is already 33. He throws a lot of picks and while he has a great deep ball, his accuracy on the shorter throws is not elite.
I prefer giving up a 2nd for Jimmy G, who knows the system and has the ultra quick throwing release.

A month ago I wasn't so sure about Stafford. But, looking at options, $, and longevity, he's starting to seem like a good fit.
It's crazy that he's only 32! He'll be 33 next season, but only 1 year older than Cam. We KNOW the Pats will protect him a lot better than he's been in DET. He's a tough guy, with a character and vibe that I think would thrive here. The only thing that could screw up what might have been an obvious choice - is if Matt doesn't want to stick with Matty P. Who knows what their relationship was like though?
on the other hand, if they decide now is the time to reset, and actually go for Jones at #15, then they might just want a Fitzpatrick or someone like that for another low cost vet to keep pressure off a rookie 1st rounder starting in year 1. Who knows

In my view I would not trade for Stafford. He is not a SB quality QB and is already 33. He throws a lot of picks and while he has a great deep ball, his accuracy on the shorter throws is not elite.
I prefer giving up a 2nd for Jimmy G, who knows the system and has the ultra quick throwing release.
I don't want Jimmy...can't lead a team if you are never on the field.

Thats kind of where I am right now. idk how good this guys sources are, but

A lesser discussed but equally important issue is that even if BB wants Stafford, I think the odds are stacked against him.

If niners trade for Stafford, Jimmy g coming back. Patriots could give up one of our 4th rounders to niners for Jimmy G. Then sign some weapons for him. Use the draft to rebuild our defense. Free agency to rebuild offense, draft to rebuild defense.

A lesser discussed but equally important issue is that even if BB wants Stafford, I think the odds are stacked against him.

Bill should've done it. Brady is still here if patriots trade for Diggs.

not only did we lose Diggs, but brady made his decision at that moment the offensive talent was going to be trash and he was out the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes