PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sound FX: Houston at New England (Tom MF Brady)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is funny because the idiot later called that Houston fumble as forward progress therefore the play was dead and the fumble negated.

It was actually another idiot that blew the whistle, not that guy.

Wait, I thought Brady wilts when he gets hit hard. He was getting killed in the first half, hit hard over and over. 3 TDs and over 350 yards. So much for that theory.

As for Quin, Hernandez was running downfield and he was complaining to the refs. He actually let Hernandez run for a few extra yards because of his complaining.

It was actually another idiot that blew the whistle, not that guy.

Exactly. That ref was old, but the ref who insisted the fumble play was forward progress was at least a decade older than that guy. I remember yelling "senior moment!" at the TV.

My apologies to anyone offended.

That was awesome! Not that everyone doesn't already know it, but the Pats are Brady's team, and it really stands out watching this. He is the obvious leader. I can only imagine what it would be like listening to the Sanchize miked up.

The comparison would be like viewing a Rembrandt painting and then comparing it to a kindergartener's first attempt at art with a crayon.

Last edited:
brady is such a great leader and motivator. Love it

Exactly. That ref was old, but the ref who insisted the fumble play was forward progress was at least a decade older than that guy. I remember yelling "senior moment!" at the TV.

My apologies to anyone offended.

Wait...what????

Why you impudent young whippersnapper!

Help me up somebody, I'm gonna kick his butt!

Yes, he did. And I believe it was the very same route. Despite what Simms said, it should have been called both times.

The rules do prohibit driving through a defender who has established position (so you are technically correct) but I doubt officials want to start being in the business of calling "charges" on receivers. The NBA officials have the damnest time doing it now. Once you reward that behavior, defenders will become soccer players and start flopping around like they were shot by a cannon every time a receiver brushes by them.

The 2nd one was completely different in that Hernandez extended his arms and the "charge" became a "shove'...which is a no-brainer for officials to call. Don't mean to pee in your Cheerios but I think the "driving through a defender with position" rule is one of those situations they don't call unless the receiver goes out of his way to make contact or the contact is excessive. I didn't see either in the first route.

If my assessment the non-call is correct, I have to say that I totally agree with that decision by the refs. It would suck to see a line of 8-9 defenders lined up just in front of the first down line on 3rd down and falling down like dominoes as receivers ran by.

Last edited:
The rules do prohibit driving through a defender who has established position (so you are technically correct) but I doubt officials want to start being in the business of calling "charges" on receivers. The NBA officials have the damnest time doing it now. Once you reward that behavior, defenders will become soccer players and start flopping around like they were shot by a cannon every time a receiver brushes by them.

The 2nd one was completely different in that Hernandez extended his arms and the "charge" became a "shove'...which is a no-brainer for officials to call. Don't mean to pee in your Cheerios but I think the "driving through a defender with position" rule is one of those situations they don't call unless the receiver goes out of his way to make contact or the contact is excessive. I didn't see either in the first route.

If my assessment the non-call is correct, I have to say that I totally agree with that decision by the refs. It would suck to see a line of 8-9 defenders lined up just in front of the first down line on 3rd down and falling down like dominoes as receivers ran by.

They didn't hesitate to call it against Troy Brown in the 2006 CG

I can't believe Suggs would say that to his own teammates huddling by the warmer. Let the guys in who are actually going to play on that field? What?

I really dislike Suggs too but aside from that horrible sack celebration I thought the whole clip was actually pretty good. Someone already mentioned the Tebow comment but I also thought it was funny when he turned to the fans and said "Hey... Hey!... Calm down!... Calm down!... It's only the 1st quarter" after Denver's first score. I told my friend the same thing right after that td.

Then him going to shake hands with those Denver fans and telling them good game honestly surprised me coming from Suggs. But then again, everyone is a good sport when they win.

And is it just me or does anyone one else find Ray Lewis annoying with his stupid preachy Jesus tone voice when he talks??(Sorry I don't know how to else to describe it) Hearing him talk to that wide receiver for 3 seconds I can't imagine having to listen to that for a whole season. Which makes me wonder... His teammates would obviously would never come out and say it, but I wonder how they really feel about it... Like do they truly find it inspirational or do they find it annoying but just put up with it cause he's Ray Lewis the great 'Leader of Men'? :rolleyes:

LOL Hernandez completely running over that DB. Surprised the refs totally missed that.

It was within five yards of the LOS. Check out this screenshot:

249e5.png

That's Hernandez running into Quinn right on the first down marker, which is just over four yards downfield.

Of course, later he was called for it when the contact happened 2-3 yards downfield:

v5JFp.png

In conclusion, those refs were really bad.

Last edited:
Yes, he did. And I believe it was the very same route. Despite what Simms said, it should have been called both times.

The second was called because he extended his arms. The first wasn't a penalty. He didn't push off. Each payer has right of way.

To the pst above, the five yard rule doesn't come into play in push offs. If you extend and push off, it's opi wherever you are on the field.

Last edited:
I can't believe Suggs would say that to his own teammates huddling by the warmer. Let the guys in who are actually going to play on that field? What?

true leader right there

"Back in those days, Brady was unmarried, with no kids or obligations. And he spent all of his time on football. Miller used to laugh at the fact that Brady didn't know much about politics or just about anything else going on in the world outside the football offices back then. He didn't have time. His impromptu quarterback meetings over breakfast on game days were like lightning rounds on quiz shows. He'd have his backups run him through a fire drill of questions and possible scenarios."

I can't start threads yet (occasional poster, LONG TIME member and reader), but I wanted to draw attention to a recent ESPN piece (Mike Reiss has a link on his blog) about Brady's back ups, and I figure this is an appropriate thread. THe above quote is regarding Brady in 2004.

I have been talking to my brother about a general feeling we both feel. Brady, to us, is the greatest quarterback of all time (I'm 29, a physician here in Boston, and have been a fan of the NFL since I was 8 years old, just FYI).

As a person with a busy career, and someone who is overall single, I desire a strong work-life balance. I think it's only natural that as someone gets older, their priorities change. They get married, have kids, and need for that work-life balance becomes ever more important.

Tom Brady has been at that point for a the last few years, and STILL has maintained FANTASTIC statistics. He tears apart defenses. He spreads the ball around. He is still feared. He is still one of the best (though in conversations amongst the so-called pundits, the likes of Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, and even Eli Manning now get lumped into his class, and I f------- HATE that).

My brother played wide-receiver in college and he says the relationship the freshmen receivers had with their qb was CRUCIAL. Not just practice field and drills. But the best receivers on his team were the ones hanging out with the qb for dinner, playing video games in the dorm rooms until 1AM, hitting a local bar for beers, etc. I read before that Brady used to be the one hanging out with the receivers back in 2003-2004, going to bars, going to their houses, etc.

I can only speculate, but now that Brady is older, married, and has children, I'm sure he wants to spend weekends with them and get home from work as soon as possible. My whole point in this long-ass post is that, wait for it, I don't see that same KILLER on the field that I used to back in 2004. It's a different kind of fire that comes from a veteran, seasoned. While he could probably CARRY the entire team back in 2005 and 2006, I don't think he can do that anymore. If we want a superbowl, the pats have to give him a solid cast, a la Elway in the late 90s.

That little bit of extra work mentioned in the above quote about Brady is probably not done anymore, and may not even be necessary for HIM. BUT, I'm SURE it might make the team just slightly better, just slightly better enough to get a superbowl. He's still great, and it's great to see the FIRE in him in the sound fx clip, but I still for some reason feel that it's NOT the same as in 2003-2006.

have been talking to my brother about a general feeling we both feel. Brady, to us, is the greatest quarterback of all time

He gets this SB or 1 more in his career...he will be the best of all time. If he doesn't get #4...he won't be #1 and i am okay with that...but i want another ring :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back