PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sony Michel might equal... Kevin Faulk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chubb hasn’t been so hot the last couple games

Why is it a joke?

We have a decent amount of evidence to support the opinion Michel doesn't have a feel for the passing game.

Then by this metric, James White should never have amounted to anything. He was non-existent in our passing game for his first two years on the team.

While Michael may not currently have a feel for the game, the OP is saying he never will.
And that is why I asked him if his post was a joke.

Sony = Maroney

Faulk was a 3rd down and change of pace RB. Later in the game when the defense was getting tired is when he did his damage.

Sony looks tired all 4 quarters. He has no power. Where Maroney danced Sony stops in his tracks.

Then by this metric, James White should never have amounted to anything. He was non-existent in our passing game for his first two years on the team.

While Michael may not currently have a feel for the game, the OP is saying he never will.
And that is why I asked him if his post was a joke.
Sweet Feet had 40 catches his second year.

That's my point... Faulk in his first two years had 9 fumbles. 9.

Kevin Faulk Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Imagine how this board would be treating any RB today who had that many in that period of time. Heck, after two fumbles, the sharks would be circling.

And yet, BB hung with him, and it paid off. My point is that I hope BB and Brady do the same for Sony in the passing game, as I believe it can have a similar payoff.

Faulk also had 51 receptions on 68 targets (75%) in his second year. Michel is currently sitting at 9 receptions on 15 targets (60%). As for the fumbles, Ridley had 8 combined in years 2 and 3, and he was back again for year 4. The problems with Michel are

• Doesn't run right routes
  • Dropping easy passes
  • Doesn't get extra yards
  • Doesn't know when to call a play dead and minimize damage
  • Doesn't show the burst he seemed to show in college

So, whether it's injury based, confidence based, or whatever, there's a lot of negative going on with Sony, and there doesn't seem to be anything positive at the moment. It's fine to hope for improvement, and I hope that all Patriots fans are doing that, but the Faulk comparison is a bad one.

It's fine to hope for improvement, and I hope that all Patriots fans are doing that, but the Faulk comparison is a bad one.

Perhaps I wasn’t clear enough. I am not comparing Sony to Faulk in terms of pass catching. I’m comparing them in that they both have/had a major flaw in their game. BB let Faulk improve his fumble flaw... I’m hoping he gives Sony the same chance to improve his pass catching flaw. Hope that clears it up. Me talk bad. :)

Perhaps I wasn’t clear enough. I am not comparing Sony to Faulk in terms of pass catching. I’m comparing them in that they both have/had a major flaw in their game. BB let Faulk improve his fumble flaw... I’m hoping he gives Sony the same chance to improve his pass catching flaw. Hope that clears it up. Me talk bad. :)
You explained it fine.

Problem is you are responding to a poster who because of their own insecurity, has a goal of making other posters feel like crap and their opinions and observations worthless.

Last edited:

Sony doesn't have just one flaw right now. He's not doing much of anything right, at the moment. He'll get time, because of both his draft status and the roster composition. But, if you're looking for RB comparisons, right now, he's pretty much just BJGE with less ability/willingness to avoid negative plays.

Sony doesn't have just one flaw right now. He's not doing much of anything right, at the moment. He'll get time, because of both his draft status and the roster composition. But, if you're looking for RB comparisons, right now, he's pretty much just BJGE with less ability/willingness to avoid negative plays.
Less ability than BJGE. That is rich.

My god I swear you don't watch the games.

Sony is looking like he’s taking the career path of Cadillac Williams. Did not expect this happening.

Dude talk about history totally forgot about that guy Ronnie Brown was a Beast.

Why are we even debating this, James White is by far the best catching RB and 3rd down back we have.

Why are we even debating this, James White is by far the best catching RB and 3rd down back we have.

I like White. But,

• Woodhead
  • Faulk

I'd take either of them over White.

Sweet Feet had 40 catches his second year.

Did he really? I had no idea. Michael now has 9 catches this year, which is certainly not ideal. But, he does have the skillset to play a role in the passing game. He should be more involved than he has been, that much is damn sure. But, to say that we've seen his ceiling in the passing game is just not accurate.

Did he really? I had no idea. Michael now has 9 catches this year, which is certainly not ideal. But, he does have the skillset to play a role in the passing game. He should be more involved than he has been, that much is damn sure. But, to say that we've seen his ceiling in the passing game is just not accurate.

The point is Sony doesn't look comfortable in that Role.

Yep. Wouldn't lie to you bro. White's 1st year he did zip but 2nd year emerged.

I think at this point Sony is OK for screens and dump offs but in terms of running routes he looks like a fish out of water.

Last edited:
Doesn't look like Sony Michel will ever be a legitimate threat in the passing game. Maybe good for a few dump offs. He hasn't even proved to be more dimensional or better than Laurence Maroney. Pump the brakes, who knows if this kid lasts beyond three seasons in NE.

Faulk's issues were with fumbling. Sony apparently has issues catching the ball. He could catch the ball in college, so I hold out hope that he figures it out eventually.

Sony = Maroney

Faulk was a 3rd down and change of pace RB. Later in the game when the defense was getting tired is when he did his damage.

Sony looks tired all 4 quarters. He has no power. Where Maroney danced Sony stops in his tracks.
Sony looks more like BJGE than Maroney. Neither do anything spectacular, but they won’t mess they game up for you. Maroney had the worst vision for a RB I’ve ever seen. It was amazing how many times he ran straight into a pile when he could’ve easily bounced outside. He was pile magnet.

Sony has some major flaws in his game he needs to work on that I’ve mentioned before with his ball carrying in the open field for one. He and BJGE are terrible at getting extra yards at first contact because they couldn’t switch the ball to the opposite arm to fight off defenders. Because of this, they go down fairly easily. The trade off is that they don’t fumble much.

Sony having a hard time outrunning DE’s to the outside is really concerning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back